What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Handing back a lease car - redmires
My Honda CRV goes back in a couple of months, my first lease car after opting out of the company scheme. It's on a 12 month lease and has a couple of stone chips and a scuff on one of the wheels. How stringent are lease companies when a car is returned ? I know about "fair wear & tear" but do lease companies try it on some times ? Has anyone had first hand experience - the company is Lex, if that makes a difference.

R
Handing back a lease car - Altea Ego
www.lvl.co.uk/downloads/displayFile.php?myID=54

all in here.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Handing back a lease car - a900ss
Without mentioning names, the lease company that we use are quite stringent. The majority of cars we send back have stone chips on the windscreen, scratches on the paintwork, etc. They don't actually have these faults but the lease company claims that they have even when the collection form that we sign after inspection clearly states no faults.

They are also EXTREMELY expensive ito return a car to normal f we send cars back with telephone kits in them.
Handing back a lease car - daveyjp
We've handed a PCP car back and we were sent a comprehensive guide about what was acceptable and to be honest I thought they were very generous. The car had a few stone marks, but I gave it a good wash, polish and vac before it went back and we heard no more from the finance company.
Sorry -that link does not work.

www.lvl.co.uk/downloads

then go to the dehire guide.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Damn I will get it right in a moment.

www.lvl.co.uk/features_downloads.php

then lex information, then de-hire guide

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Handing back a lease car - Dynamic Dave
Damn I will get it right in a moment.

Beat you. Nah nah nah nah nah ;o)
Handing back a lease car - Dynamic Dave
TVM's link threw up an error when I tried it. If the same happens to you, then goto:-

www.lvl.co.uk/features_downloads.php?id=4

Scroll down to the "Dehire Guide" and "click to view"

Handing back a lease car - T Lucas
If you damaged it you pay,simple really.
Handing back a lease car - redmires
Thanks all so far. I've got the wear & tear guides so I was after more "real life" experiences.

Only thing now is choosing another car but that's for another day.
Handing back a lease car - DrS
I have returned various cars to various lease companies, main dealers, etc, and have found that generally they try it on a bit, but will back down if you argue hard enough about it.
Basically, I have found that these days, everyone is too sloppy to properly record everything, get all of the proper signatures, etc, and if you cause the guy at the other end of the phone enough hardship, he'll forget about you.
Handing back a lease car - M.M
I've returned a 2yr and 3yr lease car in my time. All I did on both occassions was to get a touch up stick from the dealers a couple of weeks from the return date and do the chips/scratches carefully. Then a few of days from the hand in date I had a full valet. In both cases some excess wear/damage I thought may be charged wasn't.

I put it down to the fact that the touch up work and valet meant the cars could go straight to auction looking overall very presentable.

David
Handing back a lease car - whoopwhoop
I've returned multiple lease (company) cars back to the lease companies over the years and never had any issues.

My Pug 406 was in a terrible state (wing mirrors with big gouges in them, bits of missing trim (the decals), big scratch down the side, small crack in the bumper, stone-chipped headlight - all caused by working in central london) and even that was taken without any issue. Mind you, it was a 4 year lease and the mileage was 140k on an 80k contract, so the excess mileage charges basically bought the car!

Have returned 6 month old Volvo with a dent in the door (supermarket), a 2 year old VW with quite a few stone chips etc and not had any issues with them.

The driver who delivered the Laguna drove my old scenic straight to the auction house in wimbledon (i know because he asked where it was) - That was a 4 year lease. The Laguna - of course - never made it back to the leasing company.

The Ran is due back at the end of the month. Two year lease. Its got a cracked screen that needs fixing, but Valet? fix chips? on your bike - Its done 40k miles with a labrador in it - what do they expect
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Handing back a lease car - Bill Payer
I've returned multiple lease (company) cars back to the lease companies over the years and
never had any issues.

Would you know, though?

My brother returned a car at the same as 2 of his colleagues and the leasing company sent detailed 'de-hire' charges, but describing more or less the same work ('remove bumber, respray' etc) for all 3 cars. His finance guy thought it was odd and queried it with the drivers - the charges were complete fabrication.

I mentioned it to our finance guy and was pretty astonished that he expects, and paid without query, a typical de-hire charge of £3-£400. He regarded it as 'part of the deal' - and this was on 3 yr, 90K mile full maint leases that were costing £500/mth.
Handing back a lease car - whoopwhoop
Would you know though?

Seeing as any costs would come out of my budget, yes I would know!
Handing back a lease car - ukbeefy
Since when did "de-hire" become an acceptable word in the English language? How about "returning the vehicle"...because that is what you are doing....but of course that does not allow someone to do a powerpoint presentation about it or put "De-hiring solutions director" onto their business card.

Must be the same person who told the police person that stopped me once in central london with my mates once having a beer and was told they were "de-canning" me....
Handing back a lease car - Pugugly {P}
I resisted the temptation myself Beefy.....
Since when did "de-hire" become an acceptable word in the English language?

As soon as it hit print and was understood, then it became acceptable. You understood what it meant.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Handing back a lease car - Pugugly {P}
See why I resisted the temptation ! :-)
You wise old legal eagle, you know not to argue with your betters.,
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Handing back a lease car - Bill Payer
"De-hiring solutions director" onto their business card.

>>
"Returning the vehicle solutions provider" would need an extra long business card.

Handing back a lease car - rtj70
My lease vehicle has some big scratches from beign keyed which the company will have to pay to repair. After many calls and weeks the lease company has decided not to pay to repair the rusting rear doors - not warranty covered. They will take the hit at auction but even said "might not be noticed" so if buying a ex-lease black Mondeo TDCi Ghia on a 53 plate after October check the rear doors ;-)

The bit that I cannot figure out is by the time it goes back it might need new rear doors. If you were buying at auction would two semi-deep scratches on doors or rusting doors worry you more? And one of the rusting doors has the scratches!
Handing back a lease car - Chris White
My brother had a Chrysler Voyager on a 3-yr lease and handed back with stone chips on the bonnet that I'd consider normal wear and tear over the time he had the car but they wanted to charge him £1200 to put right.

I told him to stand his ground and get them down on price because it did seem a little steep but he decided to pay up.

Chris
Handing back a lease car - flunky

And thank the lord some people will. I personally can't fathom why people pay £5k/year for a car that's not even their own, but that leaves me happy, buying the thing 2nd hand when the lease is up for the cost of another year's payments.
Handing back a lease car - Chris White

Flunky, I don't understand why he does either. He's currently got a Chysler Crossfire and a Nissan Pathfinder, both on lease. I dread to think what his monthly payments are.........

Chris