What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dealer recommends different oil ? ? - wayne1980
Lastr week my wife and i went to our honda dealership to collect our new civic cdti > and very nice it is too! anyway i was doing my under bonnet checks to see if they had sorted out a few things and i noticed that a little sticker had been applied to the top valance. it's the one that says Honda recommends castrol oil. if you cant work it out, its the one that protects from the moment you start your engine > allegedly. anyway i went into the service department to buy a litre of oil so my wife has some incase it needs topping up. nice gentleman behind the tall counter say's > Honda uses Mobil 1 oil in all its Workshops. Oh really, so why the sticker under the bonnet? NO answer just a bluff. anyway £10 for a litre it is then! maybe i'll shop around first.

{Oil manufacturers name that had previously been blanked out with asterisks by the OP restored as he wasn't naming and shaming - DD}
Dealer recommends different oil ? ? - Stuartli
You got it in one...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Dealer recommends different oil ? ? - nortones2
Honda dealer in Blackburn uses Castrol Edge - what does your manual say? Find out what ACEA grade and viscosity is required and shop around.
Honda dealer in Blackburn uses Castrol Edge - what does your manual say? Find out
what ACEA grade and viscosity is required and shop around.

interesting that, when i spoke to the service manager he said that honda had worked with mobil to develop the oil specifically for the diesel engines. a bit like ford did with BP fuels.
Dealer recommends different oil ? ? - nortones2
VW/audi use various makers for their diesels. They worked with Castrol on certain Long-Life oils. A number is given related to the service e.g. 505.01, which has to be met for warranty. I don't think Honda are as detailed, but I haven't got the diesel engine nor any references:) Wouldn't mind one though. As another poster says, find out precisely what quality and viscosity Honda stipulate, as there are likely to be several makers of equivalents.
Dealer recommends different oil ? ? - L'escargot
that a little sticker had been applied to the top valance. it's the one that
says Honda recommends castrol oil.

Whose sticker was it, Honda's or Castrol's? !!
--
L\'escargot.
Dealer recommends different oil ? ? - james86
It's probably just an advertising sticker. On my Focus when I open the diesel filler cap it says "Ford recommends BP Ultimate Diesel" - just a way for them to extract some money from BP (or in your case Castrol).
It's probably just an advertising sticker. On my Focus when I open the diesel filler
cap it says "Ford recommends BP Ultimate Diesel" - just a way for them to
extract some money from BP (or in your case Castrol).

yeah we just got rid of a ford diesel > cracking car and engine, the dealership had an account with the nearest garage, seen as they recommend BP ultimate, it was a shell establishment. interesting eh?
Dealer recommends different oil ? ? - yorkiebar
use the oil to the spec listed in the owners book.

Brand doesnt matter too much (and the advertising labels are for money making only).

local dealerships oil info is about money. Vehicle assemblers info is about whats right for the engine. Forget the brand, stick with the quality and viscosity needed.
Dealer recommends different oil ? ? - jc2
The dealership probably uses another oil completely for service.They buy in minimum of 40g. drums or more likely bulk supplies not in 4l. cans.
Dealer recommends different oil ? ? - Pendlebury
My Honda came with literature telling me that Honda recomends Castrol but the Dealer uses Shell Helix.
I agree with those above that say that the manufacturer has obviously done a deal with the oil company and the oil company are paying the manufacturer for advertising/recomendation.
The dealer probably does the same trick with an oil supplier.

When I had my Saab I asked the dealer why they used a different oil (Fina) to the Saab recomended. It was because Fina sponsored the private rally team the dealer ran but it all met Saab's spec.

Personally if my Honda dealer was using Mobil 1 I would be happy with that.
They buy in minimum of 40g. drums
or more likely bulk supplies not in 4l. cans.

When I had a ZX the bill for servicing used to price the oil in 1/2 litres, which implied that they used 1/2 litre cans!
--
L\'escargot.
Dealer recommends different oil ? ? - carl_a
I'd like to see a stick on the car saying the exact oil the car was filled with in the factory. Clear a great deal of confusion and msot likely increase the sales of particular brands.
Dealer recommends different oil ? ? - JamesH
>> They buy in minimum of 40g. drums
>> or more likely bulk supplies not in 4l. cans.
When I had a ZX the bill for servicing used to price the oil in
1/2 litres which implied that they used 1/2 litre cans!

It will have come from a big drum. Just on your invoice at the high price as if you were buying 1/2 litre cans!

On the other hand, I often get charged a relatively huge sum for a small quantity of screenwash in a similar way. Since the reservoir is usually topped up already, I do actually get left the little bottle full.
Dealer recommends different oil ? ? - Aprilia
Manufacturer has link with oil company A (who may supply factory-fill).
UK agents have marketing deal with oil company B (who provide stickers etc).
Dealer buys cheapest oil to manfr. spec from company C and then bills it out for as much as he thinks he can get away with. Cheekiest I've seen is very large BMW dealer chain who charge it out at 250ml 'top up bottle' prices!

The bottom line is that if it meets the manfrs. viscosity and SAE/API spec. then it will do the job. Anything else is just marketing hype.
On the other hand I often get charged a relatively huge sum for a small
quantity of screenwash in a similar way.

I got caught by that as well ~ but only once! Now I specify "No screenwash, thank you".
--
L\'escargot.
Dealer recommends different oil ? ? - flunky
I got caught by that as well ~ but only once! Now I specify "No
screenwash thank you".

How much can screenwash possibly cost?