What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Clio to Golf GTI - Cost to change advice - Keith S
Current car:

Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique 3dr in Silver Met. 2005 55 plate with 34k

Proposed Car:

Golf GTI 3 Door in Red. 2004 54 with 18k

I'm thinking why not apply the differences in the Glasses trade in values and add a small profit, say £500. This would mean cost to change about £9k I think.

Incidentally the Golf has a leather interior, so what would that add, if anything, to the cost?

Thanks.
Clio to Golf GTI - Cost to change advice - Pugugly {P}
Nice car - even better with the leather, guy in SWMBO's work has a R32 with leather, makes a lot of difference. Tornado Red ?
Yeah, personally I think its the right colour for a GTI. My last car was black and looked lovely - for about 5 mins per month!
We're finding that out with SWMBO's VW.

A heart warming moment today, popped out for er....a pint of milk, that's it a pint of milk (:-O ). Saw a very elderly (circa 1960) Beetle in the same if rather more time worn colour, my arrival on the forcourt was greeted by a little wave from the driver, nice that.....blinking thing's filthy dirty and it hasn't rained for a month !
Clio to Golf GTI - Cost to change advice - Blue {P}
On a car like that the initial dealer profit margin will be around £1500. That's what we used to stick on them where I worked.

Blue
Clio to Golf GTI - Cost to change advice - OldHand
I also think the dealer is going to want £1500-2000 out of the deal, particularly on a car like the Golf V GTi that they can always sell.

Regarding leather- it's pretty cheap and nasty stuff on the Golf V more like plastic than anything that was once part of a cow's behind. We looked at a few with leather and decided the retro Interlagos (tartan!) trim was perfect as it reminded us of our MKII GTi.

Other must have spec on the MKV is the highline rather than midline computer- you need this to be able to personalise various functions ie follow me home lights, central locking options etc. You can't retrofit it without expense and effort all for an option that costs about £100.

Also the armrest- if it isn't specced you are left with a huge expanse of ugly plastic and a couple of holes to put your drinks. Also you lose a rear passenger air vent.

You can retrofit OEM VW DVD based nav for around £500 on ebay- cheaper than VW ask for it as an option and about the same as a premium you'd pay for a used car if you find one.

Desireable are the excellent Xenon lights- the ordinary MKV items are useless also hard to retrofit.

Winter pack would be nice- heated seats, washer jets and headlamp wash

Cruise can be retrofitted for £50 in parts if you know someone with VAG-COM to enable it, otherwise there are some excellent places that will fit it for around £150

Dealer has this car advertised at £16,500

So I would think its £2.5 - 3k more than what he paid for it?

Given I can get a new one (albeit import) for £17,500 I dont think its good value as advertised.
Dealer wants £11,250 to change.

I'd rather take my chances on eBay than give away £2000ish
Agree that Std lights are rubbish on them