What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda VTEC tappets - mike hannon
Just a quickie - does the Honda 2.2 DOHC VTEC have hydraulic or adjustable tappets?
They're quiet and I don't want the top taken off if it doesn't have to be...
Honda VTEC tappets - grease monkey
mike.this engine has manually adjustable tappets,it has rocker arms with a screw & locknut adjustment. nice & fiddlely to do,get yourself some cranked feeler guages !!
--
if it aint broke don`t fix it
Thanks GM - think I'll leave 'em while they're quiet!
Honda VTEC tappets - keybored
Not sure about gen2 but my 2001 crv needs adjustment every 30k or else you end up with burnt valves owing to lack of clearance. Bought mine a couple of months ago with 58k on the clock and it ran very quietly, so decided to check and adjust them myself. Lucky for me I did as 4 of the exhaust valve clearances were just at the minimum spec. I checked all 16 valves and adjusted them to the top end of spec; bit of a pain to do but well worth it and now runs like a well oiled sewing machine! Moral of the story is that slight ticking noise is good; quiet is bad.
Noted! According to my sheaf of bills it was done at 41k, now on 58. I'll keep listening...
Honda VTEC tappets - dan_b
i am having the same trouble with the 1.6 sohc version it is quite tappety soundin is that good or bad