What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Watch out for Vandals in Sandhurst area - Pica
One of my colleagues had her car "tagged" (I believe this is the term for grafiti) outside her house in Sandhurst last weekend. Tonight I take SWMBO to M&S for a bit of retail therapy and some nasty scrote has painted a rude word on the boot lid of a beautiful blue 07 BMW 325d Coupe. I did report it but as I did not witness anything I suppose there is nothing to be done.

This is in the car park at The Meadows Tesco and Marks and Spencer near Camberley/Sandhurst, Surrey - BE WARNED and BE CAREFUL
Watch out for Vandals in Sandhurst area - Armitage Shanks {p}
Where are all the much vaunted CCTV cameras when we really really need them? Watching box junctions and bus lanes, probably!
Watch out for Vandals in Sandhurst area - Roly93
Know the area and thanks for the warning....
What really miffed me was on the way home I passed a police camera van complete with motorcycle cops near the fire station parked in the centre hatches of the road looking for speeders - More money catching speeders I suppose.
Watch out for Vandals in Sandhurst area - Blue {P}
If there were motorcycles parked up after the van that would mean that it was an ANPR van and not a speed camera van. They will have been looking for un-insured, un-taxed, non-tested cars and cars that belong to known criminals.

Blue
Watch out for Vandals in Sandhurst area - UncleR
>>>What really miffed me was on the way home I passed a police camera van complete with motorcycle cops near the fire station parked in the centre hatches of the road looking for speeders - More money catching speeders I suppose.

Worth considering that had your recent problem not been one of vandalism but say, an incident of a speeding driver nearly running you over, you would probably have welcomed the sight of a speed trap.
I have no problem with speed traps and with nearly 2 million (I think) motorists about to have their licenses revoked if the're caught once more I look forward to quieter roads. Luckily for me I have never had any points on my license in approaching 30 years behind the wheel. What really annoys me is that it would appear that so much resource is tied up in catching speeders (not mobile users, drunk drivers, dangerous drivers, double yellow line parkers and pavement parkers across the road from the local police station etc). At our offices (in Ascot) we have had young chavs destroying the grounds, vandalising and/or damaging cars, garages and the Police are not interested (part-time station closes as 16:30pm so we have now employed a security firm to patrol at £20 per drive around the building

End of last year I saw a garage being broken into and luckily took pictures of the 3 youngsters doing the crime. I called the Police and it was 90 minutes before they turned up and the criminals had fled. Luckily, I had pictures of the offenders, some of their booty and the getaway car complete with reg number. So they did eventually get caught and I believe punished with 80 hours of community service. Now when I drive around I see so much Police resource given to speeding motorists and I can see the advantage in the APNR vans as they could stop the car I had reported connected to the crime.

On the whole I have nothing but praise for our Police and I understand it is not their fault as they are only following orders. The treatment a friend of mine in the force gets from some members of the public is terrible and I would not like to do their job. But I would like to know my car is safe from the runts when I visit the local town of which I am a council tax payer.
Watch out for Vandals in Sandhurst area - DP
Thanks for the tip. We visit the Meadows fairly regularly, and not had a problem yet, but then who's going to vandalise a 7 year old Mondeo? Nevertheless, you can't take anything for granted.

Agree with all the other comments so far. The police are completely ineffective against anything other than speeding, and major crime such as murder. Everything in the middle seems to get ignored or dismissed as "not a priority". It also irritates me beyond belief when such acts of vandalism, as well as supposedly more serious crimes such as burglary are classified as "petty crimes". Not for the victims, they're not.

I know a couple of serving police officers (Thames Valley) and they're both very experienced officers who take a very reasonable, open minded view of people and the law. That said, it's incredible how much their hands are tied by nonsensical government targets, political correctness and bureaucracy. I go out for the occasional beer with one of them, and you just don't get him started on Blair's Britain.... Serious earache is the result.

I wouldn't do his job for £100,000 a year quite frankly. No support from the public, and no support from their senior officers because they're directed by a government and a Home Office that is so out of touch with day to day life on Britain's streets, you have to question whether they even live on the same planet!

Cheers
DP
In the incident in question, in the absence of CCTV and witnesses, what can the Police do?
Watch out for Vandals in Sandhurst area - Mr.Tee43
How about doing what they are paid to do, police and serve the community !

As written on the side of our local Panda cars.
Watch out for Vandals in Sandhurst area - midlifecrisis
Love too! But I'm too busy serving all the sad, inadequate people in society, who use the Police as a tool, to actually deal with crime!

And I have to because Blair does like his figures.
>>In the incident in question, in the absence of CCTV and witnesses, what can the Police do?

>>>>>>>>How about doing what they are paid to do, police and serve the community !
>>>>>>>>As written on the side of our local Panda cars.

I mean SPECIFICALLY what can the Police do in this situation? House-to-house inquiries? I have every sympathy with those wronged but equally without witnesses or any evidence, I fail to see what the Police can be reasonably expected to do.