What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo 740 power steering fluid - Steptoe
In the 10 years I have owned my 740 the power steering fluid level has dropped from the max mark on the reservoir dipstick to the min.

Should I be concerned about this inordinate loss of fluid? :)

Actually the serious question is that I have numerous unopened bottles of Castrol TQF transmission fluid (don't ask!) on which the label states that it is suitable for some power steering systems. As the Volvo is unlikely to last for more than another 10 years it is obviously uneconomic to purchase a whole new container of the correct stuff, does anyone know if the TQF is compatible with the Volvo rack. I don't suppose a top-up will do any harm in any case, but if it is OK I may as well use up the TQF by doing a fluid change, the original stuff has been in there so long the colour is indeterminate

----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Volvo 740 power steering fluid - Cliff Pope
Any old ATF will do in my experience. It's well worth changing the fluid. There are two methods. The easy though less complete method is to suck out all you can from the reservoir with a turkey baster, refill, run the system, repeat. Obviously some always remains in the system.
The more complete method is to disconnect the return pipe at the reservoir, direct it into a receptacle, and pour new in while running the engine and having someone move the steering wheel. Stop when the fluid runs clean.
The only caution is be careful not to crack the plastic reservoir pulling the hose off. Softening the rubber with hot water is said to help.
Volvo 740 power steering fluid - Steptoe
Thanks for that reassurance; it pleases my frugal nature to be able to use up the TQF after hoarding it for many years.

Great tip re. changing the fluid but I'll wait a day or so hoping the weather turns warmer & pre-softens the hose!
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Volvo 740 power steering fluid - 547HEW
Steptoe,

You are indeed very wise to wait for warmer weather.

When I replaced the Power steering fluid on my wife's 740 in the depths of winter, I managed to break the pipe stub off the reservoir (its made of plastic), while removing the hose. As the vehicle was not allowed to be off the road, I ended up fabricating a reservoir out of a old metal brake fluid can.

I used Castrol Dextron III ATF