What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 1.5DCI 'Brake Judder' - russellbarr
Hi, I have a 2004 Renault Clio 1.5 DCI. when I brake at any speed in excess of roughly 40 MPH I can feel quite a severe ' judder' through the brake pedal, I have had the discs and pads replaced, and had the N/S wheel bearing replaced (because there was a bit of wear in it) but the problem persists, the car has ABS.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou in advance.
Russell Barr.

Edited by Pugugly on 20/10/2009 at 22:59

Renault Clio 'Brake Judder' - Altea Ego
do you get judder through the steering wheel as well?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Renault Clio 'Brake Judder' - russellbarr
Thankyou TVM for taking the trouble to reply, no, the judder is just felt through the brake pedal, and doesn't judder at all when braking normally at fairly low speeds i.e. below 40 MPH.
Thankyou again
Russell Barr
Renault Clio 'Brake Judder' - Big Bad Bob
HI i think i might have had this problem before. its just a thought when they put the new discs and pads on. did they make shore that it was clean behind the disc. i have had rust behind there before and that has give problems like a worped disc witch you can feel through the brake peddle. the other Thing is that they could have been binding and then worped the discs again. after looking at all that if still not sorted then get the ABS unit looked at by a tec2 hope this helps
CHEERS BBB
Renault Clio 'Brake Judder' - injection doc
I think your brake judder could be from the rear brakes if you don't fel it through the steering wheel! easy check drive at 40mph & gently pull the handbrake up holding the button in & see if you can feel a pulsing in the handbrake lever, if you can feel a pulse it will have an out of true drum! ( dont yank handbrake up just pull on to give you some braking resistance ) or put it on a brake tester at an mot station & get them to check which brake is causing a problem. Do check the fronts as BBB say's,I would suggest if you had an ABS reluctor ring fault the problem usually becomes prominent at very low speed ie 10mph or 70+
Regards Inj doc
Renault Clio 'Brake Judder' - fordprefect
I had very similar symptoms a few years back with my Peugeot 309 SRi, it definitely appeared to be the rear drums.
Took them off, skimmed them to true them up, same judder still there! Careful testing then showed that the drums were fine until the (warped) alloys were put on and tightened up, distorting the drums.

Renault Clio 'Brake Judder' - Terry H
Hi there, I have an 02 1.5 dci for my work motor, I have the same problem, when I brake my steering shakes quite bad, I have changed the bearings, discs, pads and even a new calliper as i thought the bushes were worn in thr hanger. when the car has been jacked up on th front it seems a little better untin the suspension settles back down, I was going to start on the bushes/ bottom wish bone next.
im sure its not from the rear as it comes through the steering wheel and not so much the pedal.

any ideas before i start ripping out the suspension.

cheers
Terry