VW Bora - temperature gauge prob - skiddy2k
Hi guys,
Got a VW Bora 2002 1.6 16v with 47k on the clock.

seem to have a intermittent fault on the temperature gauge. Sometimes the needle rises to the middle of the temperature gauge on the interior panel as you'd expect then the engine is at operating temperature. on the other hand, when the engine is at ambient temperature, the needle stays at 50 degrees.

the antifreeze is at max, and i have a feeling it might be the temperature sensor located at the bottom of the expansion tank where the antifreeze is topped up. Am i right in thinking this?

Thanks for your responses in advance!

Skiddy
just did a bit of research,
am i correct in thinking the temperature sensor on vw bora's and golfs (98-2002) are located on the right hand side of the engine under the air inlet for the air filter housing?
VW Bora - temperature gauge prob - Screwloose
Skiddy

There are variations in the engines; [engine code?] but generally, they are in the end of the engine furthest from the cam-belt.

Very common fault; usually the sensor.
cheers for the reply,
the engine code is AZD
VW Bora - temperature gauge prob - Screwloose

Aarghhh... an AZD! The dreaded coilpacks!!

Yes; it's in the end of the head. Four wires.
VW Bora - temperature gauge prob - borasport20
I had this problem with my old octavia - intermittently, the needle would rise as the engine warmed up, then drop down and stay there.

Having identified your engine as an AZD (mine was ALH), you should be able to get a Haynes manual and confirm where the temp sensor is, then you need to identify it on the car. If the external, visible part of the sensor is black plastic, it is almost certainly the problem - the revised ones are green.

A browse of briskoda.net or one of the vw forums should provide you with the part number ('fraid i dont have it as I dont have the skoda or the bora any more), and also sadly confirm that the sensors cost about £20 over here but as low as $7 in the States. If you get yourself a new sensor, make a point of getting a new O-ring as well - it comes as a separate item, and you will have to ask for it.

speaking for the ALH engine, it takes a bit of fiddling to disconnect the electric cable, but you must do this first. Then there is an external circlip round the sensor, which pulls off with a downward motion. It should then be simple to ease out the old sensor and bung in the new one quickly before yuo lose to much coolant, replace circlip, re-connect wiring, top up the coolant with the ready-mix you got from Halfords beforehand, and Robert is, as they say, your mothers' brother

Hope it works for you !

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk