What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Explorer Firestone Tyres - yintong5
This is an old subject rearing it's head.
I've recently bought a 2000 model Ford Explorer from a non-Ford dealer which is still fitted with Firestone Wilderness A/T tyres. I recall somewhere that Ford were offering to replace all of these 'regardless of age or mileage' due to the earlier problems (ie deaths) that were experienced.
Does anybody have any knowledge on this subject - I have approached my local dealer who, having checked the chassis no., was happy that there were no outstanding recalls on that particular car. However, the possibility of a freebie set with a better safety rating makes me keen to look into the subject further.
Any ideas?
Ford Explorer Firestone Tyres - oilrag
the issue is here on wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone

(Quote wikipedia)
New recall

An abnormally high failure rate in Firestone's Wilderness AT, Firestone ATX, and ATX II tires resulted in multiple lawsuits, as well as an eventual mandatory recall. In 2001 Bridgestone/Firestone severed its ties to Ford citing a lack of trust. The lack of trust came about concerns that Ford had not heeded warnings by Bridgestone/Firestone relating to the design of the Ford Explorer.[10] In 2006, Firestone announced renewed efforts to recall tires of the same model recalled in 2000 after such tires were linked to recent deaths and injuries. Although Firestone estimates 97% of the tires were replaced in the 2000 recall concern existed over spare tires that many owners did not think to replace during the 2000 recall.[11]
(unquote)

It looks like its Firestone you may need to approach, not Ford.
Regards
Ford Explorer Firestone Tyres - MW
Not sure where you stand,but I am sure you have a strong position. Get a statement from Ford and Firestone HQs saying the tyres are very safe.
As a matter of interest, a neighbour of mine who is manager of a Kwick-Fit area, some years ago fitted Firestone tyres to an Explorer. Everyone was happy. When the paperwork reached HQ they immediately phoned him to contact the customer, who was asked to return the car asap and new Michekins were immediately fitted, so sensitive were they to the issue, and presumably the possible liability.
Thanks very much to both of you, I have written to both companies and will advise you of the outcome - many thanks again.
Just an update.

I have contacted Bridgestone/Firestone who have advised me that from the size/DOT no.s etc, my tyres were not part of the 2000 product recall.
Thanks however for the replies, oddly enough now I'm no longer looking at a spanking new set of tyres, I'm happier that the tyres I'm driving on are safe, so I suppose that's the main thing.
Thanks again.
Stuart
Ford Explorer Firestone Tyres - Bill Payer
Are these the original tyres fitted when the vehicle was built - I thought that it was generally considered that tyres had life of about 5 yrs anyway, due to UV and the rubber ageing?

I'd have thought that was especially an issue on SUV tyres, where the tall sidewall must lead to a lot of flexing. I'd be looking at the tyres very carefully for signs of small cracks, both on the sidewalls and between the tread blocks.
Ford Explorer Firestone Tyres - Collos25
Unless its extremely low mileage it must be on at least its second set of tyres if not its third.
Ford Explorer Firestone Tyres - Bill Payer
Unless its extremely low mileage it must be on at least
its second set of tyres if not its third.

The first post reads like they're the originals and talks about the 2000 recall.

SUV tyres can do pretty high mileages.