What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Land Cruiser Vs Shogun - part II - Chad.R
A few months back I asked which of the following 4X4s, backroomers would opt for given the same condition, price (10K) etc - Shogun, Trooper,Land Cruiser or Patrol?

I've whittled it down to a 4.2TD Land Cruiser VX (heart) or the Shogun (head - they seem to be widely available on the 2nd hand market at that price). I know that no one buys a large 4X4 for economy... but does anyone have "real world" consumption figures for the 3.0/3.5 Petrol V6's in the Shoguns?

My reasoning is that as £petrol=£diesel (+/- 3p) fuel costs may be the same for a 3.0/3.5 ltr Petrol and a 4.2 ltr diesel. What about the servicing and other running costs long term (I'd be keeping the car for a minimum of 3 years) - would there be much difference?

....and finally just to add the cat among the pidgeons .......has anyone had experience of LPG conversions for the Shogun 3.0/3.5 V6's ?

Thnaks in advance.

Chad.R
Re: Land Cruiser Vs Shogun - part II - Andy Bairsto
The petrol on average will be around 15 litres per 100km and the diesel around
12.5.If the engine is multi valve gas is not a good option best suited to SOHC 2 valve american engines.And if you are worried about service costs may I politely sugest you forget it.The costs can be quite horrendous unless you do ityourself.The economic vehicles to own are Discos ,ssang yong(diesel),Explorers(good for gas conversions),Blazers.In the Uk I would go for a Disco or Explorer as parts are easily and cheaply available.But you pay your money and take your chance.
Re: Land Cruiser Vs Shogun - part II - Chad.R
Andy,

Thanks for that info - I've heard that Cherokees are particularly good for gas conversions which seem to agree with you.

I'm not "worried" about the running costs and am aware that it will be considerably more than a "normal" car. However we're running 3 cars in the family now a '90 BMW 535i sport, '96 Xantia TD estate and a '95 Punto75.

If/when we buy the 4X4 the 535 and Xantia (or Punto, have'nt decided) will go. I know that running costs for the 4X4 may exceed the combined costs of all 3 but as long as within reason that doesn't bother me.

Cheers,

Chad.R