Corporate oil change intervals.......... - oilrag

Do manufacturers choose a oil change interval based on corporate standardization or max engine life?
For example, consider this engine jointly developed by GM and Fiat.
two very different service intervals AND viscosity.

1.3 chain cam diesel fitted to Vauxhall range = 20,000 mile interval, 5w30 synthetic longlife oil
same engine fitted to Fiat range ( multijet) = 12,000 mile interval, 5w40 synthetic.
Fiat won`t specify the 5w30 oil even though its the same engine.

I`m just using this as an example as its the same engine, but why?
Corporate oil change intervals.......... - Roger Jones
Perhaps this is fanciful, but . . . could it be that Fiat have a Mediterranean perspective and therefore consider any oil rated at less than 40 inappropriate for the ambient temperatures (and driving styles) to which they are accustomed for the majority of their output? And maybe their findings about typical customer behaviour differ from those of Vauxhall, fleet sales and high-mileage corporate use being possible factors in the Vauxhall case.
Corporate oil change intervals.......... - Bill Payer
My guess would be that Vauxhall have set the viscosity with an eye on fuel consumption, and the interval with an eye on making fleet maintenance costs look as low as possible.
Corporate oil change intervals.......... - geoff1248
Am suprised that Fiat haven't specified extra virgin olive oil (although I prefer something a little more experienced).