What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Freshen up a tired Honda Accord - lucklesspedestrian
We had been thinking about trading in our 1999 Honda Accord 1.8LS for something a little newer and funkier (It's done 115K miles now).

Several posters here however have at times questioned the sense/economics of trading up, suggesting instead in effect to stick with the devil you know. This makes sense given that the Honda still works well, the Vtec engine (even the lowly 1.8) is still a joy to rev and of course the car has been 100% reliable.

One option therefore would be to keep the car but spend about say £500 freshening it up.

Any suggestions then as to the likely best return for the money in terms of improving the driving experience?

The front bumper is bashed in couple of places so I'll get the cosmetic things like that fixed.

It's still on the original shocks so I had thought that the first stop should be to replace those all round. (should I get the bushes too?)

I had thought of a new front windscreen as that obviously a bit scratched now.

Obviously I'll have a wee look at tyres and brake pads etc, put in new air filter/ plugs etc but I do keep up with these things as a matter of course anyway.

Is there anything else anyone else can think of?

Freshen up a tired Honda Accord - mss1tw
1999 Honda Accord

new front windscreen

>>new shocks

!!!!

Freshen up a tired Honda Accord - edisdead {P}
Professional valet. Bring back the feel good factor.

Ed.
Freshen up a tired Honda Accord - Brian Tryzers
There are whole shops full of stuff for people to put in old cars. Their names usually begin with Auto. You could start with some reflective door protectors and a novelty air freshener - or is that not what you had in mind?

Sorry - it's Friday night and I've been left in to babysit.

Seriously, it's amazing how well many old things - not just cars - come up if you just give them a proper clean with the right materials. You don't notice the grime building up but you certainly notice the difference when it's gone.
Freshen up a tired Honda Accord - SjB {P}
I recently posted on how to get a new car for £134.19!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=44466&...f
Freshen up a tired Honda Accord - Blue {P}
Definitely do the bushes at the very least if they've never been changed, these will be causing the car to feel more saggy than when it was new.

I'd love to do them on my BMW which now has 110K on the clock but sadly I have some much better things to spend my money on at the moment.

Don't forget though that if you fancy a new car just for the hell of it and you want thenew car smell, and you can afford to buy one, then don't be put off just because it doesn't make the best economic sense, life's for living! :-)

Blue
Freshen up a tired Honda Accord - mal
For approx £85 delivered you can fit a full set of wind deflectors, it gives your car a whole new look and they are also very usefull enabling you to open the winows slightly without letting the rain in (when stationay).I have them fitted to my Civic aerodeck and the wifes Civic saloon. They look realy good.
Just Google "Climair".

Mal.

Mods, hope this posting does not infringe your advertising policy, there is more than one supplier of this excellent product.
Freshen up a tired Honda Accord - Hamsafar
Get rid of it.
Freshen up a tired Honda Accord - cheddar
New ICE.
Freshen up a tired Honda Accord - cardriver
Full professional valet and service.
Have any dodgy body work repaired by a professional as well.

Spend as little as possible - It's an accord - it's only just run in at that age and mileage - these things go on forever.
Freshen up a tired Honda Accord - Lud
Shock absorbers and any suspension bushes, balljoints etc that are not 100%, followed by proper tracking and toe setting. Unless the car has been driven exclusively on billiard-table surfaces that will effect a marked improvement in the way it drives. Do clean it up by all means. That always makes them go better too.
Freshen up a tired Honda Accord - stunorthants26
Also change any rubber pipes that are original to avoid and unexpected splits.
Freshen up a tired Honda Accord - mike hannon
I think you'd be wasting your money changing the shocks, bushes etc unless they show signs of needing it - Honda shocks etc don't wear out like lesser makes. My 116k 92 Accord is still as tight as a drum, as have been the other high mileage Hondas I've owned. The only one that ever needed a suspension bush was the Legend - built by guess who?
Give it a good valet, get the dings sorted, upgrade the stereo and enjoy!