What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - Vincent de Marco
Choices, choices...

Car no. 1:
The all-new KIA C'eed.
1.4 petrol, 110 horse, air, metallic paint, 6 bags & all the usual bits like electric windows, CD and so on.
7 years warranty.

Car no. 2:
Ford Focus.
1.6 petrol, 100 horse, air, metallic paint, 6 bags & all the usual bits like electric windows, CD and so on.
Oh, and that heated windscreen heheh.
2 years warranty.

Two brand new cars, same price. What would you choose and why ?

- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western economy.
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - DP
For me, the Focus, no question.

My experience over 100k in a mk1 tells me they are very reliable. If anything does go wrong on them, they usually cost pennies to fix. You can buy parts anywhere and get them serviced anywhere. They're plentiful in breakers for used parts too.

It's also a brilliant drive and will always be easy to sell on for reasonable money. Even the shabbiest 200,000 mile mk1 will still set you back £1500 at nearly a decade old, with anything decent still going for £2k+. Unheard of for a near decade old "cooking" Ford.

Cheers
DP

KIA C'eed vs. Focus - Xileno {P}
Focus for me as well. Kia has a silly name. And I'm not interested in long warranties, the car will be someone else's problem by then.

Surely the Focus has a three year warranty, in the UK at least?
Surely the Focus has a three year warranty, in the UK at least?

Could be, I'm in Poland. Here all Fords have 2 years warranty period, whereas Jags - 3 years.
2 years for Fiat, Alfa, Opel (Vauxhall), VW, Citroen, Peugeot, Renault, Skoda... Same for all the prestige brands like Audi, BMW, Merc, Volvo.
Honda, Mitsu, Nissan and Toyota give us 3 years.
And now the KIA... 7 years, but only for their newest baby, the C'eed. Made in Slovenia, btw.
- - - - - - -
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - Sprice
Kia 'cos I don't like Fords (too common) and a 7 year warranty. Evidence also suggests Kias are reliable, plus the Ceed look good IMO.
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - machika
It's also a brilliant drive and will always be easy to
sell on for reasonable money. Even the shabbiest 200,000 mile mk1
will still set you back £1500 at nearly a decade old,
with anything decent still going for £2k+. Unheard of for a
near decade old "cooking" Ford.
Cheers
DP

>>

Riduculous money for a Focus that old, with that kind of mileage. I certainly wouldn't pay £1500.
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - artful dodger {P}
KIA C'eed based upon my wife's experience of owning a new model Kia Rio. It was bought upon HJ's opinion of the car, otherwise we would never have considered buying a Korean car

I feel sure it will be more reliable if you keep the car for any length of time and the reputation of Korean cars is rising all the time. The 7 year warranty (? the longest available on any new car) must provide an idea as to Kia's concept of building reliable cars compared to Ford's 2 year warranty.

The only thing the Focus has going for it is the heated windscreen, but Ford are the only manufacturer who offers this. A useful feature, but not a sufficient reason to buy a car as I have never used one.

The C'eed is being built in Slovakia purely for the European market, launched in December 2006 and is a C-segment car. HJ has not yet tested or reported on this very new model, but I feel it will be a good and fair report when he does. The design is certainly far more modern than the Focus and although I have looked at one in the showroom yet, I feel sure it will be a difficult car to equal.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
BBD's car-mag did a test-drive report, but hey what do they know after trashing it around for just a few days ;)

Back in mid '90s Daewoo introduced a 2 year warranty & free service scheme here in Poland. You basically bought the car and that was it. They paid for everything during those 2 years. Sounds crazy, I know, but those were different times and now Daewoo is a history.
They just wanted to much, I fear KIA might share their fate at some point in a not so distant future.

- - - - - - -
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - Big Bad Dave
"BBD's car-mag did a test-drive report, but hey what do they know after trashing it around for just a few days ;)"

We've done two major tests in 4 weeks believe it or not V de M, a turbodiesel in Italy before Christmas, and the 1.4 petrol last week. I was just chatting to the tester Marcin Klonowski, who drove it both times, he rates it very highly. He called it a great car.
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - jase1
I know, but those were different times and
now Daewoo is a history.
They just wanted to much, I fear KIA might share their
fate at some point in a not so distant future.

I wouldn't worry about that side of things.

Daewoo were caught up in the Korean economic crash of 1997-98, at which time they were a very small player on the world stage.

Hyundai/Kia are a huge car company now (6th largest in the world I believe), and so have reached the stage where they're so big that even if they did hit financial difficulties (unlikely now) other companies would snap them up quick to gain market share. In any case, the European wing of Daewoo were never in financial difficulties, it was the Korean side that crashed.
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - rtj70
It's not as if Ford or GM are losing so much money that they could cease to exist though is it :-)

The way these two are doing financially, it might be safer buying the Kia! But as jase1 says, when a company gets to a certain size nobody can afford for them to cease to exist.

Anyway didn't Daewoo fail due to spending during the downturn when they should not have, the government no longer being able to afford giving them cheap loans, fraud, embezzlement, etc.? I think the founder even went to jail for sometime (10 years?). Ironically debt for the Daewoo conglomerate (parent to the car company) was only about 80USD. What debt do Ford and GM have ;-) But the Daewoo founder Kim when he returned to Korea was charged with masterminding accounting fraud worth $43 billion, illegally borrowing $10 billion and smuggling $3.2 billion out of the country!
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - andymc {P}
Kia, probably, especially if spending my own money. The name might be a bit silly but that ain't gonna worry me. Lookswise neither of them really does it for me but the Kia is more interesting (from some angles at least) than the ultra-bland Ford IMO. It probably doesn't drive as well as the Focus, but if price and spec are pretty much equal, I'd be thinking about how much time I'm going to spend in the car, which one is more practical and comfortable, which one gives better performance (in this case, the Kia). Apparently the Kia has made big strides over predecessors in this regard and apparently is well-specced even in base trim.
The 4Car site has reviewed the C'eed and been pretty complimentary overall - as there's no road test on here yet, I'm sure HJ won't mind the link: www.channel4.com/4car/rt/kia/cee'd/1202/1
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - MVP
I think Kia/Huyandai are the "new Japanese" in car terms.

Snob appeal and styling are probably the main reasons NOT to buy.

KIA C'eed vs. Focus - colinh
A well-known magazine summed up the Cee'd thus:

"The new Cee?d is impressive on all counts. Open-minded buyers will see it as a strong alternative to the Vauxhall or Ford they originally set their heart on, and will be egged on by the seven-year warranty (five years body, seven years powertrain). The Cee?d may not quite have attained Focus-Golf levels of dynamic excellence (we?ll need to do a full UK comparison test to know for sure) but it?s close enough for many buyers not to notice or care, and in some ways it beats the market leaders hollow."

It certainly looks better than the mk 2 Focus
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - retgwte
if it wasnt for the fleet sales volume discounts and sales techniques the focus would be dead in the UK, as a purchase for a private individual its terrible - all the parts are heavily build down to a price, and the service from ford and their dealers is bad

kia would win my vote
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - DP
if it wasnt for the fleet sales volume discounts and sales
techniques the focus would be dead in the UK, as a
purchase for a private individual its terrible - all the parts
are heavily build down to a price, and

Sorry, I disagree. The Focus is the first mainstream Ford for decades that has found great success with private buyers. This, and the fact that it is one of the very best cars in its class is acknowledged by most motoring experts, including HJ in his car-by-car breakdown. Of course it's built to a price - find me a car in its price range that isn't.

The fleet market is also not what it was before Gordon crucified company car drivers tax-wise. Our company ditched its fleet two years ago and offered allowances, and we're by no means the only ones.

>>the service from
ford and their dealers is bad

True, but no worse than VW/Audi, Peugeot/Citroen, Renault or most other European manufacturers. No excuse I know, but you wouldn't be any better off in this respect with a lot of other manufacturers.
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - v0n
Kia's 7 year warranty has mileage limitation, so depends how many miles you do a year you might find it will be considerably shorter. Also worth noting is that to achieve better handling Kia had to stiffen up suspention, A LOT, which you might find too harsh on Polish pothole ridden roads. I also have a problem with pricetag. IMHO this car in its basic 1.4 form should be priced closer to Nissan's Almera, ~£8000, not bigger and roomier Focus or heavens better Golf.
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Kia's 7 year warranty has mileage limitation, so depends how many
miles you do a year you might find it will be
considerably shorter.

Indeed, but that "limitation" is 100,000 miles. Ford's is 60,000, and in addition Kia's warranty is manufacturer-backed for the full seven years, whereas Ford's warranty is in reality only a year, with the dealer providing the balance. So whichever way you look at it Ford's warranty is inferior.
IMHO this car in its basic 1.4
form should be priced closer to Nissan's Almera, ~£8000, not bigger
and roomier Focus or heavens better Golf.

I was under the impression that the Cee'd is essentially based on the Elantra/Cerato platform (common with the Hyundai Coupe and Tucson as well IIRC). The Elantra is actually bigger than the Focus, so not sure if the Cee'd is smaller. That said, £8000 is a lot less than the list price of the Almera anyway, £10K is closer to the mark.

I agree that the car should be cheaper than the Focus/Golf, but it has to be said that Hyundai/Kia's recent track record would suggest that the actual build quality of the Cee'd (as opposed to the bogus "perceived quality" that everyone gets worked up about for some bizarre reason) will be better than either the Ford or the VW. The Korean firm is currently over-engineering key components to secure their reputation, that's common knowledge, so now would be the time to get one.
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - carl_a
Also worth noting is that to achieve better handling
Kia had to stiffen up suspention, A LOT, which you might
find too harsh on Polish pothole ridden roads. I also have
a problem with pricetag. IMHO this car in its basic 1.4
form should be priced closer to Nissan's Almera, ~£8000, not bigger
and roomier Focus or heavens better Golf.

There you go again, comparing RRP of one car to discount price of another. You can't get the information you need by looking at pictures!

"Bumps in the road and expansion joints are easily absorbed, and the Kia is a relaxing long-distance cruiser."(Autoexpress,2006). Is all I have to say about the ride quality.
There you go again, comparing RRP of one car to discount price of another.

There I go again?? Do we know each other? Have we spoken about Kia's Cee'd somewhere else? /confused/
"Bumps in the road and expansion joints are easily absorbed, and
the Kia is a relaxing long-distance cruiser."(Autoexpress,2006). Is all I have
to say about the ride quality.

No, that's what Autoexpress’ reprint has to say about Cee'd, not you.
All reviews I've seen so far (bar Autoexpress') mention the ride is really firm and there is a lot of thumping noise from stiff suspension. Thought it was worth to mention. Can dig up quotes if bibliography matters so much?
You can't get the information you need by
looking at pictures!

And yet there you are trying to break civilised conversation by waving some colour magazine in front of my nose. The manners on some people... ;)

--------------------
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - carl_a
I shall let people make up there own mind what you just put.

Is it fair to compare the retail price of one car and the discount price of another ? I think we already know the answer.

KIA C'eed vs. Focus - DavidHM
No, but the Cee'd is likely to be hard to get a discount on for a while.

You can't get a new Kia Magentis for the price of a comparable current-shape Mondeo, either new or used, and to my mind the Mondeo is the better car.
I shall let people make up there own mind what you
just put.

Well, I would actually prefer to sort it out with you - since you insist I said something "again" plus "based on pictures". What are you referring to - what pictures and when have I ever said something about Cee'd before?
Is it fair to compare the retail price of one
car and the discount price of another ?

If the "discount" price is factual price of the item then of course it is. Even if Cee'd is the next Octavia, the next big motoring surprise (and I personally hope so, as Cee'd is exactly in my "market niche") this car still has very narrow gap on the market. You will never find yourself thinking "do I want Korean car aspirating to be Focus or the real Focus" or "do I want a Corolla or Korean pretender to Corolla" if the price tag is the same. There would be no precedence. Having to choose between Armani jacket and Primark jacket for the same money, you wouldn't pick the latter even if it had twice as many pockets and a free tie, would you? The car we are discussing is the potential "next best thing" or "reasonable alternative" to the big boys. It’s the local "Oklahoma Fried Chicken" as an option to "KFC", if you will.

And having said all that I think it’s very reasonable to compare it's price to what other what "alternatives", other "next best things" available on the market go for. Is it not?

--------------------
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - turbo11
How much is the c'eed.
They start from £?????

Details of the C'eed at www.kia.co.uk/ceed/
I find the web designer has been too clever and it takes a long time to load on a dial up connection. Not what I want when all I want to do is check the prices and then find the web site does not quote them!

The main web site does not yet list the C'eed, so I presume it has not yet been released in the UK. All other models show full price list and options,

--
Roger
C'eed: 1.4 petrol, 110 horse, air, metallic paint, 6 bags & all the usual bits like electric windows, CD and so on.
7 years warranty.
Price in Poland: £9200.
They already sold over 200 of them and that amount is rising as we speak.
- - - - - - -
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - DavidHM
Good question. I'd take a Rio over a Fiesta any day though.

In the UK, at the same price, I'd go for the Focus, because of things like (a scintilla of) prestige, dealer network and risk of depreciation (although frankly Kia seems to be the new Skoda, i.e., very, very good if the car is good enough).

Elsewhere, if the Cee'd is as good as we are led to believe, and resale value stacks up, I would at least consider it the equal of the Focus.
Autocar (or was it Autoexpress) tested one before xmas ... it was some weeks ago.

Their conclusion very positive for the car and whilst not quite up there with say a Focus or Golf it was very very close. If I was a European car company I'd be worried. Japan now established after not being so well received for quality etc in the 70s.
Guess it was both:

www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/20377...l

www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/20422...l

www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Kia-Cee'd-1.4-S/223155/

And don't lets forget that the Kia is the start but parent Hyandai will have it's own versions too.
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - oilrag
Do ford galvanise their cars yet?
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - Altea Ego
does anybody these days?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - zm
Focus without a doubt.

Parts prices for Kia's are hugely expensive, and the ceed (stupid name) will be seen as another obscure, non entity after it's had its 15 minutes of fame.
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - Another John H
Telegraph review here:

tinyurl.com/39wed9

prices estimated 11k - 14k75
*does anybody these days?* ( re Galvanising)

Well a friend has a ford ka that is scabbed in stonechip rust......
To be honest Vincent, I would get whichever one has a chain drive camshaft rather than a belt.
Regards
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - MikeTorque
Test drive them both and make your choice.
Personally I'd choose the Focus as it has the edge on driving ability, service centres are a plenty as well.
To be honest Vincent, I would get whichever one has a
chain drive camshaft rather than a belt.
Regards

Fairly sure that either the latest generation petrol or diesel Hyundai engines are chain-cam (can't remember which). Would tend to agree with the sentiment though.

Looking at this car from the point of view of a few years down the line as a second-hand buy, it's looking veeerrrry attractive. If the depreciation is as heavy as some are making out, then it's going to be a capable and well-made machine for next to nothing, still under warranty.

And the comment about parts prices in my experience is bogus -- yes they *are* more expensive than Fords, but they're also very easy to work on so common fixes are relatively cheap (£120 for a cam-belt from a main dealer for example).

Still, the more snobbery the better -- cheaper 2nd-hand bargains for me in a few years lol.
>>Telegraph review

It mentioned that the C'eed is not due to be released in the UK until 1st Feb. So all UK BR's will have to wait a short while before we can see one in the flesh.

Still would go with the C'eed over a Focus as mentioned before.

--
Roger
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - snorkerz
ZM, I have to take issue with you on parts prices. Having had a Y plate Shuma since 2003 I have found parts perfectly reasonable. Admittedly almost un-obtainable in a scrapyard and not currently on the 'popular' list at the local spares shop but dealer prices are good.

Example:

Last week had my wing mirror smashed - local dealer couldn't supply, Halfords wanted £18 for a bit of mirror to be specially cut (and 2 weeks wait), Main dealer charged me about £8 for the mirror glass and the fixing plate/clips to hold it all in place.
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - Avant
The straight answer to Vincent's original post is that I'd wait till I'd driven a Ceed. Until one of us has, this thread is a bit academic. Or is it already on sale where you are, Vincent? - in which case I beg your pardon and do tell us what it's like to drive.
Yes, the C'eed is already on sale in Poland. Took it for a spin today, as well as the Focus.
Turns out Kia did the homework because it handles just like Ford, which really tells it all. Fit & finish is OK, no complaints in that department as well. I've been told the Focus is due for a facelift procedure later this year.

- - - - - - -
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - Avant
Thanks very much - really interesting. Handling is the Focus's big selling point over the Astra and Golf, and if the Kia comes in quitr a bit cheaper than the equivalent Focus they could be on to a winner, a repeat of Skoda's success.
KIA C'eed vs. Focus - Mad Maxy
C'eed then.