What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
poor AM signal - Audi A3 - El Hacko
G'Day

any radio experts out there can advise, pse? my A3's Audi Concert's AM band signal has become progressively weaker, now all I get is "fuzz" - no Five Live or any other station on AM. Happily, FM band no prob.

thanks
EH
poor AM signal - John S
Simlar problem a few years back on my Vectra was put down to a failed aerial amplifier. Used AM so rarely I didn't bother to replace it, so can't confirm the diagnosis.

JS
poor AM signal - jc2
Don't know how your aerial is made up but on my car I found cleaning the joint between the mast and it's fixing on the the body improved LW no end.
poor AM signal - El Hacko
bee sting type on the roof rear - unscrews .. so clean up the thread and surround, jc2?
poor AM signal - jc2
Yes,mine is similar but at front of roof-won't cost you anything to try.
poor AM signal - Audi A3 - Big John
Most VAG aerials have amplifiers built in to them that are powered from the CD/radio header unit via the aerial connector. It could be worth removing the aerial plug and cleaning it. Any dirt would affect the passing of the DC power required for the amp thus breaking MW/LW, The FM signal would be affected much less.

poor AM signal - Audi A3 - Hamsafar
These VAG antennas are of poor quality.
The chances are that moisture has destroyed/corroded the internal amplifier, which is a small PCB built into the base.
A new antenna is the usual cure according to VAG forums.
You can get genuine ones cheaply on ebay from Hong Kong and China.
The aerial's amplifier is powered by 5v being sent up the coax lead by the radio.
poor AM signal - Audi A3 - El Hacko
Very useful - thanks chaps. Now forgive my ignorance.
"...small PCB built into the base" - antenna base? Easy to get to and replace?