What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - frazerjp
Hi all, im having problems my interior rear view mirror in my Ford Ka.
One day it fell off from the top of the windscreen possibly due to the sticky stuff wearing out or something.. anyway i tried using different superglues, both don't work after repeated applications, the last time it stuck well but as soon as i adjusted the mirror it fell off again!!!
Can anybody advise on any special stuff that can be suitable for this?

Cheers.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 25/12/2007 at 00:31

How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - Pugugly {P}
Ford do a proper sticky pad with different types of glue on either side (1 for metal, 1 for the glass bit) you need to get one of these, make sure it goes the right way round, make sure that both surfaces are as clean as a whistle before even wasting time over it.
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - mfarrow
As PU says.

Ford FINIS code (part number) - 1568648.

About 40p when I bought one two months ago.

--------------
Mike Farrow
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - WVM2
easy! you charge in when the mirror is least expecting it and shout "this is a stick up!"

or you could go to a motor factor and buy a glue-your-mirror-back-on type product. they're usually a mesh soaked in resin that goes 'twixt mirror and 'screen. you can also get double sided sticky pads, but in my experience they don't stay stuck very long. whichever method you choose, make sure you clean the screen before fitting it
you can also get
double sided sticky pads, but in my experience they don't stay
stuck very long.

The one I bought from a motoring shop was just like that - £4 for two pads and made the mirror bounce all over the place! The Ford one however is as solid as I rock. I wouldn't have replaced the 15-year-old original pad had I not replaced the windscreen.

--------------
Mike Farrow
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - sierraman
Get a pad from a glass fitters,the one that came with my new screen has held for nearly 2 years so far.
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - henry k
you can also get double sided sticky pads, but in my experience they don't stay
stuck very long.

>>
I got double sided sticky pads from a well know national glass fitting co ( for free).
If they use them then I think they are OK and to date my mirror has stayed put.
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - none
The double sided sticky pads are ok. It's usually the mirror base becoming unstuck leaving the pad on the screen. If you clean the mirror base with a wire wheel it gets it nice and shiny, and warms it up as well - this seems to help. I've never had a restuck one fall off again.
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - LeePower
Pop along to a windscreen place & offer the lads in workshop a couple of drinks & your mirror will magically stick its self back on to the screen ;-)
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - Dynamic Dave
i tried using different superglues,

Eeek!

"Superglue will crack the screen"

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=44...2
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - Peter D
The double sides pads do introduce mirror vibration so the pucker mesh pars are the best and do not use superglue or Araldite unless you want to replace the screen. Either they crack during the hardening process or you return to the car a few days later and the screen is well busted. Regards Peter
Apprantly araldite is ok - that is if you're willing to hold it in place until cures.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=28...0
Not So, Araldite is not flexible enough and the coeficient of expansion is not that of glass so placed great strain on the glass and suddenly crack it's busted one guy busted his screen using the rapid version due to apparently thermal shock. Regards Peter
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - Number_Cruncher
You are more likely to cause a problem if you stick the mirror back on during a cold winter's day. The reason is that the metal will expand, and place the glas under tension for the remainder of the year.

Glass does fail at lower stress when that stress is applied for a long period of time, and that stress must be tensile, not compressive. So, putting the mirror on in Summer is fine, because for most of the time, the glass will be under compression - which is safe.

The co-efficient of expansion of the glue itself is only a secondary issue. The fundamental CTE mismatch is that between the glass and the metal, which are also by a large margin the stiffest materials in the joint - hence these are the materials which attract the highest stresses. The best way to avoid these thermal stresses is to make sure sufficient thickness of adhesive is used between glass and metal - the use of a fine mesh to ensure a minimum joint thickness is thus recommended. I would aim for a bond line thickness of 0.3 - 0.4 mm.

Some typical figures from a joint design I have been working on are included below.

CTE steel - 16 microns per metre per degree C
CTE glass - 2 microns per metre per degree C
CTE epoxy - 100 microns per metre per degree C
Young's modulus steel - 210 GPa
Young's modulus glass - 90 GPa
Young's modulus epoxy - 5 GPa

As a first approximation, the glass doesn't move much under a change of temperature, but the steel does. Although the CTE of the epoxy is much larger, the epoxy is also much less stiff, so, it cannot easily apply stress to the glass or steel itself. The steel is stiff, and this is dominant means of stressing the glass. Another way of saying this is that at a boundary, the strain must be the same in each material, and so, the resulting stress is proportional to the elastic modulus in that material.

Number_Cruncher

How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - AM
Need to use special type of glue that dries with Ultraviolet light (ie sunlight). One can buy it from B ana Q etc. I think it is called glass bond. Had same prob with Cavalier after windscreen replacement. This is what dealers use. Will break off with impact (with your head) as you would want in an accident.
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - bell boy
will try that AM thanks
i pay £3.50 a shot at my motor factors for window glue at the mo in a one shot application and a bit of fuzzy material to goes between glass and mirror (expensive i think)
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - jc2
Got to be the Ford dealer then!!!
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - Cliff Pope
Number_Cruncher

That's fascinating stuff that I don't really need to know. All the mirrors I've ever had have been on metal stalks screwed to the top, or bottom, of the windscreen frame. They never fall off.
Not So, Araldite is not flexible enough ....

Not according to AR-CoolC, who just so happens to know a thing or two about windscreens.
I'll be approaching my local ford dealer this weekend, i'll let you all know what happens. Thanks for your help guys:-).
--
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - bell boy
I'll be approaching my local ford dealer this weekend

guns ready? ;-)
Brought a sticker pad from the main dealer this morning, it works a dream (so far) thanks everyone for your help & wish you a happy & prosperous new year!!
--
Damn thing has fallen off again!!! :(
--
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - LeePower
Windscreen fitters, speak to lads in workshop & beer tokens, job done.
Did you clean off the old one completely with white spirit or meths? I've not had mine come off yet after making sure both surfaces were squeeky clean and dry.

--------------
Mike Farrow
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - DP
I agree with Mike. Cleanliness of both surfaces is vital or the sticky pad fails within hours.

White spirit, meths or lighter fuel (petrol) works well.
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - AR-CoolC
Get both surfaces completely clean and dry. In this weather add a bit of heat, not a lot, just a wave over with a hair drier.

Tip of the week: put a drop of oil in the ball and socket part of the mirror, this takes the strain away from the sticky pad when adjusting the mirror.
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - jase1
I'm still trying to work out why manufacturers don't simply screw the mirror to the car's roof, as Nissan (used to?) do.
why manufacturers don't simply screw the mirror to the car's roof...

Safety reasons. In the event of an accident the mirror is designed to come away from the windscreen. Can't do that so easily if screwed in place.
White spirit leaves deposits, use meths, isopropal alcohol or cellulose thinners. Regards Peter
Hi Fraser

Just going back through my threads of the year, making sure there's no loose ends, and was wondering if you solved the problem with this?

My 40p sticky pad seems to be money well spent and is still holding up after a year.

--------------
Mike Farrow
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - Pugugly {P}
Can hardly believe that was last year !
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - Peter.N.
I havn't found anything that sticks to glass better than silicone rubber, they make fish tanks with it, but it doesnt stick to plastic very well.

Peter.N.
How do you stick up a rear view mirror? - henry k
>>.....silicone rubber, they make fish tanks with it ....
>>
I know what you mean but I have this image of the tank changing shape as the water is added. I guess its the Christmas spirit :-)