What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Save 100 lives the easy way - Jonathan {p}
Proposals to change the time are estimated to save approx 100 lives a year

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/230/230583_...l

It looks like it may save more lives than all the camera partnerships put together, but doesn't generate any fines
Save 100 lives the easy way - daveyjp
It may have saved this life - with an extra hour of daylight it would still have been light at 4.15pm.

tinyurl.com/yzex5z

Save 100 lives the easy way - Sim-O
"...many people who travel to Europe on business and find they can't get to a morning meeting without going the night before..."

For those individuals it would be on occassions, whereas the farmer that has to get up early as it is would have to get up even earlier and disrupt going about his (non-farmyard) business even more everyday.
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
Save 100 lives the easy way - yorkiebar
But he wouldn.t actually get up any earlier !

just may be darker when he does ?
Save 100 lives the easy way - local yokel
One of the complaints regularly aired is that it will be dark at 0800 when site workers start work.

In Scandinavia they start at 0800 for most of the year, but start later during the three darkest winter months, and they seem to survive.

My customers are mostly in the US, and on the West coast, so I don't start talking to some of them until 1600, and I can continue to do so until 0100 if I have to. And then start at 0700 with my mainland Europe contacts. I seem to survive, I have to say. Luckily I don't have regular contact with Asia, or I'd never get to bed.
But he wouldn.t actually get up any earlier !
just may be darker when he does ?

Not physically, no, but where as he gets up a say, 5am now he would get up at 4am if the clocks moved an hour, so he would effectivly be getting up earlier relative to most other people because plants and sheep don't have alarm clocks.
Save 100 lives the easy way - Jonathan {p}
>> But he wouldn.t actually get up any earlier !
>>
>> just may be darker when he does ?
>>
Not physically, no, but where as he gets up a say,
5am now he would get up at 4am if the clocks
moved an hour, so he would effectivly be getting up earlier
relative to most other people because plants and sheep don't have
alarm clocks.

Sorry, I don't quite understand this. If the clocks go forward an hour, its darker later and lighter later. Therefore if he had been getting up at 5am, it would be the same light at 6am, so why does he need to get up earlier, he could still get up at 5am, just it would be darker.

What you seem to be saying is the clocks will go back an extra hour which will make it darker earlier, which is what they want to change.

My understanding is that BST would be kept during winter and BST+1 will be during summer (so it will be light until 11pm in the summer and still light at 5am)
It doesn't matter, really, it was only a small point and not a particularly well made one reading it now.
Save 100 lives the easy way - Waino
It may have saved this life - with an extra hour of daylight it would still have been light at 4.15pm.

This is a terrible tragedy but unless the actual length of the school day is shortened, children either have to go to school in the dark or return in the dark.
Save 100 lives the easy way - local yokel
The theory about school kids is that they go to school fairly fast and tend not to hang around, but go home slowly via the shops/park/friends, so the extra daylight makes that period safer.
Save 100 lives the easy way - Robin Reliant
Whilst I would like to see all year summer time simply because I find the long dark nights depressing, the figure of 100 lives saved per year looks like it came straight from The Department of Guesswork.

I have no doubt someone against the proposal could offer "evidence" that it would cost 100 lives a year.
--
Save 100 lives the easy way - tyro
I too would be very sceptical about the figure of 100 lives saved annually.

Anyway, if it is such a good idea to be up an hour earlier, then why don't businesses and schools adjust their hours?
Save 100 lives the easy way - Ruperts Trooper
Double Summer Time was tried as an experiment in the '70s but withdrawn early as the death rate went up.

Why does anyone propose something that's proven to kill people?
Save 100 lives the easy way - Ravenger
I love how they always say it'll save children's lives, just to make us feel guilty if we oppose it.
I believe there's an ulterior motive here - it's just a backdoor way to get us onto Central European Time.
Save 100 lives the easy way - madf
The proposal will not work.. but not for any of the above reasons imo.

I was in Scotland with double ST and it was dark in the am until about 9.30am.
The Scots did not like it then.

Mr Brown is a Scot. The Labour Party has a majority courtesy of Scots voters.

Join up the dots...

madf
Save 100 lives the easy way - tunacat
I was at junior school at only mid-latitude of this isle when the govt tried that experiment. Every child in the school was issued (free of charge) with a fluorescent orange tabard to wear over their coat.

It would be interesting to see if the 'numbers of lives saved' actually came to fruition if they tried it again. I seem to remember reading somewhere, as someone else has mentioned, that during the experiment at the turn of the 70s the death-rate went up... ...but then it seems to me the govt/authorities do seem to keep very quiet about the experiment altogether... If it had been a success, why did we revert back to standard practice?

To my mind, when you wake up and get up in the morning, *ideally*, it should be light, and then as the day progresses it should eventually get dark, and you feel an inclination to go to bed and sleep. That's surely in keeping with nature.

IIRC, Sweden has a particularly high rate of suicide. Even though I was only young at the time of the experiment, I can tell you that it still being dark when the bell went to go INTO school was horrible, and very depressing. Go figure.

Just what we want - people in this country being even more miserable than usual...
Save 100 lives the easy way - L'escargot
Whilst I would like to see all year summer time simply
because I find the long dark nights depressing ...........

If you suffer from SAD, what you need is a "light box".
--
L\'escargot.
Save 100 lives the easy way - L'escargot
One drawback is that winter sunrise in northern Britain can be 10 am or even later.
--
L\'escargot.