What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Economy and performance - Ford Dagenham
Hello

The Wife Has reminded me her car is nearly two years old.

We have looked at a few.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experiances (good and bad) with the 1.6 tdci unit.

All help appreciated.

Martin
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Economy and performance - NowWheels
The Wife Has reminded me her car is nearly two years old.

So unless she does above-average mileage, it'll be only just run in.

If she wants new car smell, why not just pay for a good valeting, otherwise aren't you just pouring out lots of cash to give someone else a bargain (she'll already have taken the hit on depreciation)?
Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Economy and performance - PhilW
Am I right in presuming that this is the PSA/Ford 1.6HDi/TdCi 16 valve engine? If not ignore the following!!
If so, I have one in my Berlingo. I find it very smooth and quiet, even on tickover and certainly when cruising. Plenty of power for overtaking, (it's rated at 92 bhp) and still pulls well when four up with full luggage and a load of French beer and wine and averages just under 50 mpg in day to day use (fairly hilly 5 mile commute each way on rural roads, round town etc) On a recent trip from Scarborough to east Midlands it did just under 60mpg. I would imagine that in a lighter (not sure about that!!) and much more aerodynamic (sure about that!!) Fiesta you would average over 50 day to day and over 60 on the motorway (at the speed limit!).
But, how about giving your wife a real treat and buying her a nice new Citroen C6 diesel? And only £30,000 new. When she is tired of it after 2 years I'll buy it from you for £10,000 or £12,000 (we can haggle!!) and give my wife a treat!
I love people who buy cars, keep them for 2 years with a reasonable mileage and then replace them!! You pay the depreciation and run them in!
--
Phil
Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Economy and performance - local yokel
>The Wife Has reminded me her car is nearly two years old.

Bought the wife a four year old Focus a year ago and she was quite happy. Much prefers it to all the Golfs (four in total) she had before.

Suggest selling the 2 year old car, buying a four year old car, and spending the rest on nice dinners out!
Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Economy and performance - Ford Dagenham
Hello

Thankyou for the reply's.

She does in average 15000 a year due to still working and ferrying grandkids about.

We have looked at a few Zetec Climates.

Have asked several friends about the 1.4 tdci and have been told it is as slow as a tractor and trailer is this correct.

We may well go for the 1.6 tdci.

One thing we both liked was the lower tax rate for these engines.

Martin
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Economy and performance - madf
I looked at buying one. A 1.4 is not that slow .. 0-60 in around 14 secs iirc.
I decided that a TSpirit diesel Yaris was better equipped, better built and would depreciate less and bought one of those.
In addition we have speed humps and a 1.4 Fiesta I drove was not very good on those: a 1.6 has firmer suspension.. not acceptable imo.

I thought the Fiesta interior was naff.. and the Ghia (with better interior) was grossly overpriced .
madf
Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Economy and performance - tyro
Martin
You probably know this, but just in case, . . . HJ reviewed the Fiesta Zetec-S TDCi on this site ("Faster Ford Fiestas"), which has the 1.6 TDCi engine., and was very enthusiastic.
Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Economy and performance - mfarrow
The 1.4TDCi found in the Fiesta is 'OK' as far as diesel engines go, but it is terrible unrefined (rumble and noise its main problems). Drive a 'modern' equivalent such as the Corsa and you'll see why. It's certainly not like driving the petrol version or the Focus TDCi.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Economy and performance - cheddar
The 1.6 TDCi Fiesta is the same Ford/PSA engine as the C-Max, Focus etc though only 90 bhp in the Fiesta IIRC, it is a fairly refined unit in the Focus / C-Max, much more refined that the older 1.4 though no better that the mechanically older 8v 1.8 also fitted to the C-Max / Focus which is also a lot more torquey. Reckon the Renault 1.5 is still the most refined smaller diesel.