Are 4X4's bad designs? - stunorthants
Its just something that Ive noticed as I clean alot of the prestige 4X4's.

They seem so cramped inside and the bootspace just doesnt seem in proportion with the size of the cars, nor does the interior space.
The amount of plastic trim in the boot of most of them seems to knock a third off the bootspace aswell.

They are also horrendous for parking, proven by the number of them that are now equipped with an array of parking sensors that demonstrate just how unlikley it is that you can accurately judge distances in them.

Im not against them for enviromental reasons as I dont think they are any worse than a normal car for emissions, but in terms of space efficient design, I think they are woeful and just too bulky to be practical.

Do people really want such impractical cars or are the manufacturers telling us that we want them?

I like 4X4's as a concept, but the execution seems to be loosing its way somewhat.
Are 4X4's bad designs? - v0n
Well, most of them have smaller footprint than typical modern saloon or hatch - Mondeo or Focus - so it's no surprise really that they don't have much space inside. Bigger ones do offer vast loading space though.
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Are 4X4's bad designs? - madf
As the OP suggested, most buyers of 4x4s prove without doubt that you can fool (i.e. persuade) most of the people most of the time...

We live in a consumer society where drivers of 4x4s are able to
make their passengers safer
partake of the outdoor life
drive across country
be part of the rugged hunting shooting and fishing set
live longer
and no doubt have better sex lives as well

all through owing a grotesque vehicle totally unsuited to driving in the cities of our cowded island. except central London of course.

But that shows how easily some people can be influenced.

(I will refrain from political similes but there are several:-))

madf
Are 4X4's bad designs? - boxsterboy
I agree that 4x4s are compromised in their design. The 'problem' is the added running gear under the rear floor and the extended travel suspension etc. both mean that the floor has to be raised.

I was amazed a few years ago when I had a ride in a Jeep Cherokee at quite how small it was inside. Father-in-law is on his third Forester (he likes them, obviously) but I find the boot space a bit ridiculous for the size of vehicle. I was also amazed at the 'design' of the rear door of the last shape Rav 4 (side-opening but only to about 60 degrees) because of the need to hang the spare wheel on the rear door. Imagine the outcry if Ford expected Mondeo drivers to put up with the spare wheel mounted on the boot!
Are 4X4's bad designs? - stunorthants
What actually prompted my thought was reading JC in TG mag saying that even he thought teh new Merc GL was too big - I never thought id hear him say that about a car, but if he has come to such a realisation, maybe the tide is turning. I hear the americans are starting to rethink.
Are 4X4's bad designs? - Hamsafar
These cars aren't that big, they just have big wheels are greater ground clearance. The vast difference in size between cars on the road is largely in the mind, as a percentage, the differences are not worth worrying about.
Are 4X4's bad designs? - Aprilia
4x4's (or more correctly SUV's - an Imprezza is a 4x4, for example) are very well designed to do what they have been designed to do, i.e. go off-road, across country in mud and snow and tow things. There is nothing wrong with their design, its people that buy them to drive around town in the belief that it makes then look trendy that are the problem.

They are not suited to sub/urban driving because they have a 4WD system which is superfluous but adds weight and reduces mechanical efficiency. So it increases fuel consumption and emissions without giving any usable benefit. Moreover it needs a heavy body to hold it all in alignment and encroaches into the body volume. As if that were not enough the compliant and long-travel suspension and high unsprung weight compromises handling and roadholding.

I should stress that I am talking about the true off-road style SUV's and not the Forester/Outback 4x4's which are really just estate cars with higher ground clearance.
Are 4X4's bad designs? - mk124
It depends what you want your car to do. Nobody would say a fork and a spoon are exeptional designs, a good design must be connected with use.
For example the fork is a rubbish design when you want to eat soup, whereas a spoon is a good design. A spoon is good when eating cereal, but is no good when tucking into meat.

To be of a good design the object must be usefull. HJ likes the new RAV 4 for intance and I have to agree with him that it's a very good 4X4. However good the RAV 4 is I have this nagging feeling that in almost every area it could have been made better by lowering the suspension and otherwise making it more car like.
The pinicle of bad design must be the typical Chelsea Tractor. Why do people want to drive around in a 4X4 just around town? Objectivly for 4X4 is a stupid design for this kind of use, but humans being the strange creatures that they are seem to think 4X4's are good designs for this kind of inner city use. Just maybe people who buy 4X4's think they are the best designed mode of transport for them, but I am confused as to the purpose of the design and why it's good if used in the inner city.
However the pinicle of good design for a wealthy person stuck out in the country and who regularly goes off road may well be a big Range Rover. It's confortable, refined, fast, and can get out of muddy fields - perfect.

Objectivly you can't say something is a good or a bad design, you need to look at what people want to do with the said item. What I can't see is why 90% of 4X4 are of a good design looking at their use.

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
Are 4X4's bad designs? - Westpig
4x4's (or more correctly SUV's - an Imprezza is a 4x4,
for example) >>

sorry Aprilia , SUV is an Americanism. As i'm not American I don't intend using it. I'm not anti the States, just pro here.
Are 4X4's bad designs? - Aprilia
I agree, but I can't think of anything better. Mitsubishi make a 4WD Evo and a 4WD Galant - but they are totally different to a Range Rover in every way except number of driven wheels. 4x4 is the wrong term. If not SUV then what else can we use - 'off roader' maybe?
Are 4X4's bad designs? - tyro
Westpig, while I don't tend to use the term SUV myself, it has at least one use.

If one does not like the term SUV, what category does one place the FWD Nissan X-Trail - or, for that matter, the FWD RAV-4 that Toyota used to make?
Are 4X4's bad designs? - cheddar
4x4 = Range Rover, Disco, X5, ML, Explorer, Grand Cherokee, Landcruiser etc

4WD = Impreza, Evo, X-Type, Quattro, Integrale etc.
Are 4X4's bad designs? - Westpig
Westpig, while I don't tend to use the term SUV myself,
it has at least one use.
If one does not like the term SUV, what category does
one place the FWD Nissan X-Trail - or, for that matter,
the FWD RAV-4 that Toyota used to make?

don't know, you've got me on that one
Are 4X4's bad designs? - cheddar

4x2 ?
>>
4x2 ?

Or perhaps we could just dumb down and say a 2WD 4X4 :-)
Are 4X4's bad designs? - Gromit {P}
If one does not like the term SUV, what category does
one place the FWD Nissan X-Trail - or, for that matter,
the FWD RAV-4 that Toyota used to make?

Fashion statement?
Are 4X4's bad designs? - stunorthants26
These cars aren't that big, they just have big wheels are
greater ground clearance. The vast difference in size between cars on
the road is largely in the mind, as a percentage, the
differences are not worth worrying about.

I would say that with the Merc GL being virtually the same length as an S-class, it is THAT big.

My general point is, that for their sheer mass, not just length, these cars are not space efficient, especially when compared to an MPV. The normal Merc ML is no more spacious in the back than a Ford Focus and the Range Rover drivers seat feels very cramped, even compared to the older ones and the footwells are very narrow given how wide the car is.
Are 4X4's bad designs? - J Bonington Jagworth
"I hear the americans are starting to rethink."

Er, doesn't that imply the ability to think in the first place?

(Sorry, TIC of course, but I did watch the 638 attempts to kill Castro last night..)
Are 4X4's bad designs? - Bagpuss
Why do people want to drive around in a 4X4 just around town?

I'm not a big 4x4 fan, but in my experience they have 2 advantages.

1. You sit high up so you can see better.
2. They are relatively rectangular which, combined with the high driving position, makes them easier to manoeuvre and park than say a Mondeo estate.

Although these are the only obvious advantages of 4x4s, for people of smaller stature these make a big difference especially round town.

If you want to try a really badly designed vehicle it must be the Chrysler Pacifica which I am driving at the moment. It's basically a large MPV/Estate car crossover. Apart from woeful build quality (driver's seat collapsed this morning), it has the worst visibility of any non-commercial vehicle I have driven. But it's politically correct as it is not a 4x4.
Are 4X4's bad designs? - madf
"in my experience they( 4x4) have 2 advantages.

2. They are relatively rectangular which, combined with the high driving position, makes them easier to manoeuvre and park than say a Mondeo estate.

That's why I drive a Yaris :-)

madf
I think teh Forester as about as good a compromise as you find - it certainly manages to be good enough off-road for most, yet car like in most respects. I think the bootspace is taken up by alot of plastic mouldings, but overall, the design is not so OTT with massive wheelarches and bumpers tha are surely not required to go offroad - demonstrated by the Series 1 LR which has none of these.

I like four wheel drive AND I like sitting up high as I do in my van, however, I dont think that the ML Merc offers any appreciable advantage over the Forester as both seat 5 and are competant off-road, so the differences are really rather small when viewed as a tool for a job.
The ML or GL dont need to have the dimensions they have, Merc choose to give them the dimensions so that they can charge more for a bigger car, regardless of its true usefulness.
"in my experience they( 4x4) have 2 advantages.
2. They are relatively rectangular which, combined with the high driving
position, makes them easier to manoeuvre and park than say a
Mondeo estate.
That's why I drive a Yaris :-)

It's why I drive a Berlingo! :-p
Are 4X4's bad designs? - Sim-O
>>...are the manufacturers
telling us that we want them?

I think you have the answer here.
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
Are 4X4's bad designs? - type's'
2. They are relatively rectangular which, combined with the high driving
position, makes them easier to manoeuvre and park than say a
Mondeo estate.

I wish that applied to SWMBO's Corolla - she has just scraped front corner (bumper) along a car park wall.
Best thing is - she does not give a damn.

I only spotted it today and she did it yesterday - but did not think it was worth mentioning - it's what bumpers are for,
Bless.
Are 4X4's bad designs? - Mapmaker
My favourite round-town vehicle is a Hilux with Ivor Williams hardtop. Great viewing capability, people get out of your way, you can mount pavements with impunity, road humps aren't a problem (unless there are people sitting in the back, under the hardtop), deep puddles make a great splash, and people get out of your way. Best of all, it's not too big - it fits in multi-guess carparks.

Are 4X4's bad designs? - Leif
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Are 4X4's bad designs? - Ashok
Mon 27 Nov 06 19:22
These cars aren't that big, they just have big wheels are greater ground clearance. The vast difference in size between cars on the road is largely in the mind, as a percentage, the differences are not worth worrying about.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't buy that. When I'm behind a 4x4 such as a Toyota Landcruiser or a Range Rover, I have no forward visibility unless I hang a long way back. If you are parked by one, you have no sideways visibility, and have difficulty reversing out of the space. (2 years ago I had an accident when reversing blind out of a space surrounded by 4x4s.) When one is close behind me, it can be very intimidating as they ARE significantly heavier, and if one hits me, I will suffer lots, and they won't. If one comes at me side on, I get killed because their bumper is at the level of my chest and my car safety cell is useless. The height difference is significant.

It's true they don't consume more fuel than many cars, but they do consume far more than most. And because they are heavier they consume vastly more resources to build. A significant part of the pollution of a car comes from the construction rather than driving.

I don't like them at all and would happily heavily tax ones used for non business purposes (i.e. not farmers etc) but I can well understand why people buy them i.e. perceived increased safety and comfort especially over speed bumps. And government policy seems to encourage their use.
Are 4X4's bad designs? - storme
Sorry, but I don't agree - {comment edited by DD}

my honda hrv 4*4 does 40 to the gallon
is smaller footprint than my E46 318CI
has more visibility than my wifes Ka

if u wish to slag off "4*4's" please state the correct facts

and would you like to know why i bought it....not safety...not percieved comfort...not fuel economy...

i bought it because it is the only vehicle i considered was easy to put a dog into..so bought it for practicality

and your bit about speed humps is a not accurate as well.. my suspension is a stiff as yours, so it would feel the same

altho i do agree that some of the bigger 4*4's are morally wrong...eg a landcruiser is just tooo big and a range rover...well u might as well pour the fuel down the sink

would you class an "audi tt 4*4" or a "skoda vrs 4*4" or a "fiat panda 4*4" or a "golf 4 motion" or a "suzuki jimny" as evil 4 * 4 's?????? or the honda accord 4ws or the prelude 4ws 4wd etc etc
--
www.storme.co.uk
Well since I started the thread ill comment - I have only been mentioning the large Mercs - the HRV is indeed a sensible 4X4 and I rather like them.

The vehicles, for confirmation, that i am referring to are those such as the Shogun, Range Rover, Merc ML/GL and Landcruiser. These make poor use of their size, not just in footprint but also vertical height aswell.
If a Forester doesnt need to be more than 6ft high to go offroad, then no reason a Landcruiser has to block out the sun altogether!

Those last cars you mention are not off-road vehicles, they simply have four-wheel drive.

I wasnt slagging off 4X4's, I was suggesting that for the sheer mass of the things, they dont present a proportional gain in interior space, nor are they very easy to park up against normal sized cars as demonstrated if you have ever watched someone try and park one at Tesco's - if JC even says so, thats good enough for me as he would be the last person id expect to say biggest is perhaps not best.
Are 4X4's bad designs? - barchettaman
Storme, he wasn´t referring to ´soft-roaders´ -
.....a 4x4 such as a Toyota Landcruiser or a Range Rover......

Cheers,
Barchettaman

PS if you want a good idea of how big they are, pull up alongside a LC Amazon in a lowered Barchetta. Couldn´t even see the passenger!!
Are 4X4's bad designs? - mk124
So what I have gleamed is that they are good designs for people in the city since they have high driver positions, can go anywhere - like pavements, people get out of your way, they are safer and can go fast over speed humps yet have the same footprint as a less practical car (not conclusive) and don't use that much more fuel.
I can see now why people buy them. Whether they are socially desirable is another matter. Prehapps we should list all our individual driving needs and then list the implications for society if we were to fufil them.

It stuck me that we are being told that the best cars in the city to have are tiny little boxes on wheels, like the toyta aygo etc. Even car mags think of them as city cars. What strikes me is that they are refered to as city cars for the reson that you would not want to drive them outside the city limits, rather than them being good to drive in the city. Are journalists real people who drive cars or are they just good at telling us what is a good car for the job at hand?
For what people want to use their cars for I would say 4X4's are very good designs, that is why they buy them.

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
Are 4X4's bad designs? - Hamsafar
Very well summed up mk124
Are 4X4's bad designs? - oilrag
What about the rollovers? You see them blast down the sliproad in front of you and go straight into the outer lane, disappearing with at least 30mph on top of the 70mph you are doing.
Of the big tractor type 4x4s there seems to be two main driving styles.
1) Straight up to 100mph (on company expenses)
2) Creeping along at 50mpg and buying their own fuel.

IMHO, All the tractor type are good candidates for governers set at 56MPH.

I`M refering to sudden emergency swerves and those big front tyres digging in and flipping it over.
Are 4X4's bad designs? - Chad.R
I`M refering to sudden emergency swerves and those big front tyres
digging in and flipping it over.

I thought it was the high CoG that made tractor type 4X4s more liable to flip over ........ I'll go and put on a set of "normal" wheels on the front of my Landcruiser, should make it handle like a go-cart.....and give it a real dragster look too.
I think the best city car must be the Suzuki Jimny and Daihatsu Terios if you like sitting up high - certainly no need for a Range Rover - plus, most MPV's have elevated driving postions, so its not a reason to buy a off-roader.

Ive seen the results of a previous generation Range Rover swerving at 50 mph - two fatalities.
The guy who collected the car from the hedge said that he collects about 10 Range Rovers a year from ditches because people drive them like cars.

What makes me laugh about the perceived safety was that bit on Top Gear where they showed the crash results for a Freelander - ie your more safe in a Fiesta.
Are 4X4's bad designs? - Lud
And wear out the centre differential if it's got one Chad, and the tyres if it hasn't.... :o)