What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Juddering Windscreen Wiper Blades - ArchieWW
Can anyone advise me how to achieve smooth silent windscreen wipers? I have a Honda CRV and have been plagued by noisy wipers for years. I even fitted new Honda wiper blades, but still they judder noisily across the screen. It was the same with my last car - a Vauxhall Cavalier. And yet, when I drive hire cars, which I do sometimes, their wipers always seem to be smooth and silent.
Juddering Windscreen Wiper Blades - Kingpin
I have often found that the problem is the angle which the blades lie against the screen, if the arms are a bit twisted then the blades will judder as they are pushed up the screen. A way to check is to switch on the wipers, then stop them when they are both about vertical by switching off the ignition. Have a look at the angle of the wiper blade body, it should be about 90 degrees to the screen surface. You can adjust it by twisting the arm slightly, using an adjustable spanner closed up to a small gap which fits on the wiper arm give it a tweak then test them again. It should stop it, the small rubber section on the blade should be the bit that flips as the blades change direction, this is made worse if the blades are at sharp angle.
Juddering Windscreen Wiper Blades - L'escargot
tinyurl.com/ymu7tf moight be of help to you.
--
L\'escargot.
Juddering Windscreen Wiper Blades - L'escargot
Or "might" even!
--
L\'escargot.
Juddering Windscreen Wiper Blades - jc2
Hire cars will be better because they're usually less tha one year(or six months) old.You may have wear in the arms or even in the pivots where they go thro' the bulkhead.
Juddering Windscreen Wiper Blades - mfarrow
A few months ago IbizaDriver reported no judder with these wipers www.1stautobulbs.com/ClassicWiperFusion.php

They are available in standard sizes for mail order.

I too have a problem with high speed wiper judder, which after 3 sets of wiper blades and the reluctance of the arm to 'bend', I'm convinced is down to play in the linkage.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Juddering Windscreen Wiper Blades - Hamsafar
Do you use a car wash or jet wash with a wax phase, these make the water bead, but also make the wipers judder.
Juddering Windscreen Wiper Blades - Ian D
My Impreza was the same, any speed over 65 and judder, aligned the arms as suggested above, tried Halfords, Bosch, Valeo, Tesco cheapo and another make I can't remember with no success. Finally cured by fitting some expensive but very good PIAA silicone blades from a mail order company.
Juddering Windscreen Wiper Blades - psi
my Mk1 Focus came fitted with wiper blades with an aerodynamic "spoiler" on the drivers side blade, worked a treat until the rubber wore away on the blades, replaced it with a cheapo pair of un-spoilt (is that a word?) blades from a motor factors and they jump off the screen, squeal and only wipe on the return stroke at 50+ mph, so I put another (not OEM) blade with spoiler and problem solved, no noise, no jumping blade.
Juddering Windscreen Wiper Blades - ArchieWW
Many thanks to all who replied to my query - all the responses were very helpful. I've decided that I'll first of all replace my wiper blades with those which were 'best buy' in the Auto Express test (the 'Car Parts Direct' boxed-set ) and if that doesn't work, I'll try twisting the wiper blade arms slightly. Thanks again to all of you. ArchieWW