What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Orion 1.4 L Reg - Stuck in 5th Gear - unnameable
Hi,

Driving down the road in 5th gear, happy as larry, we came to a roundabout. Tried to change down gear, but nothing happened. It's jammed in 5th gear and won't budge :(
The gear lever itself is sat over to the left as if it's in 1st.... does this point to the linkage being at fault or is the gearbox kaputt?

Cheers,
Marc
Any advice at all, maybe where to look first? I need to get this running again for work....
Just my damn luck :(
Ford Orion 1.4 L Reg - Stuck in 5th Gear - bell boy
sounds like the gearlinkage rod that connects to the gearbox has come adrift
seen this before its a 13mm nut and bolt but ideally you need it up on axle stands to pull the linkage back on.
Thanks for the reply! I really hope it is just this.
I'll get it up on stands tomorrow and take a look. I tried pulling at the linkage rod and it is moving a little too easily back and forth.....
Just my rotten luck, it's NOT the linkage. The gearbox itself is jammed in 5th inside, so it looks like that's the end for this motor.
I only needed to use it for another month as well!
Ford Orion 1.4 L Reg - Stuck in 5th Gear - none
It's been a while since I worked on one of these gearboxes, but If I remember correctly fifth gear is easily accessible after removing the pressed steel gearbox end cover. Who knows, you might be able to perform a minor miracle with a hammer and a screwdriver !
Ford Orion 1.4 L Reg - Stuck in 5th Gear - Number_Cruncher
Who would have thought it! - none advocating the use of a hammer!

:-)

>>but If I remember correctly fifth gear is easily accessible

Yes, that rings a bell with me too - although until you mentioned it, I had forgotten. As you say, it might be possible to get in easily and knock it out of gear.

It's probably 15 years ago since I had one apart, and I remember struggling to pull fifth gear off the shaft, but then after that, the rest of the gearbox was a doddle to work on.

Number_Cruncher
Ford Orion 1.4 L Reg - Stuck in 5th Gear - none
Thanks NC. As you might have guessed, I have a full range of hammers at work - from a tiny gasket hammer to a full blown sledge. They all get used, the sledge most of all.
In many mechanical situations you can't beat a lot of instantaneous energy expertly applied to exactly the right spot - specially on 7.5 tonners.
Anyway, to get back to the fifth gear. As you say they are a pig to remove - a decent puller is needed. I do remember thinking when working on these that fifth gear could be left off. I don't suppose that unnamable will want to go this far though, and tapping the synchro / selector fork / rod may or may not achieve something. It's worth a try anyway !
Ford Orion 1.4 L Reg - Stuck in 5th Gear - bell boy
Bad luck unnameable but i too would take the end casing off while its up in the air just in case its something simple like a nut thats come loose on the end of the shaft (dont forget the oil mnd)
I assume the speedo head was still working up to this problem? if it wasnt then your diff has duffed and its not worth messing with
Ford Orion 1.4 L Reg - Stuck in 5th Gear - Number_Cruncher
...that fifth gear could be left off

Yes, I think you are right. I think these gearboxes are similar to the front wheel drive Vauxhall gearboxes in that they were modified from four speed 'boxes by just putting the fifth gear on the other side of the bearing/casing, and making the shafts a bit longer.

Number_Cruncher
Ford Orion 1.4 L Reg - Stuck in 5th Gear - braindead
im pretty sure its the vauxhall box where you can remove 5th gear with a hammer (done it in a macdonalds on recovery)
Thanks for all the replies!
The gear change was feeling very vague before this happened (finding 3rd was a nightmare), and seemed to get worse just before it stuck. Makes me think there's more damage in there.
Ford Orion 1.4 L Reg - Stuck in 5th Gear - scotmech
**** The gear change was feeling very vague before this happened (finding 3rd was a nightmare), and seemed to get worse just before it stuck ****

As you had a problem with the gear selection just before it jammed in 5th ... it is possible that the remote gear selector shaft has slipped on the shaft on the gearbox ...

Did you previously say the gearstick was sitting away from the 5th position ...

I would remove remote selector shaft from gearbox and try to manually move the shaft at the gearbox ... there is a hole in the shaft and with a punch in the hole you should hopefully be able to move shaft ...

There is a gate at the bottom of the gear lever that would restrict movement of gear lever if it was in the wrong position ...
Hi,
we disconnected the shaft from the gearbox and tried moving it at the gearbox, but no joy, it's stuck solid.
Ah well, looks like it's "spares or repairs" for this old car.