What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
lights for driving abroad - F1driver
I have a 03 Plate Ford Mondeo.. and have found that the stick on light deflectors are not applicable to the mondeo as its a clear plastic headlight covering. The Ford handbook states that the headlights are to be adjusted for driving on the right.
However as I am taking car to France only for 4 days I do find this a little inconvenient as lights would have to be adjusted prior to the trip. I would then have to drive at night to get the 11pm ferry - I could then be stopped by police for badly adjusted lights surely! then after 4 days abroad have to get lights adjusted back for driving on the left!
My brother in law has said he uses headlight adjuster on the dashboard ( he has Puegeot 307 CC) and dips lights to point further down onto road to reduce dazzling other road users. He says he has not had a problem with this.

What are your experiences as to light adjustments (on Mondeos) for driving abroad and I appreciate your thoughts. ( I have not enquired at ford dealer as to costs of headlight adjustment yet!)
lights for driving abroad - Armitage Shanks {p}
Not an expense you might care to go to but if you buy the clear plastic lens protectors for your car the come (or they did on my 307) with an area marked for where to put masking tape and with 2 pieces of tape supplied, ready to peel off and use. Failing that using the load adjuster with do the trick - unless you are fully loaded of course!
Armitage shanks - I guessing your a plumber! - I think I will probably do as you suggest and what my brother in law suggests to use the load adjuster as I am not carrying a heaving load. As for me - once a skinflint always a skinflint! I was horrified to see in halfords selling the headlamp masking device for £7! I used to use masking tape for nothing!
I am not plumber but I am white and used to being wet on! E mail me for more details if you wish (see my profile)
lights for driving abroad - Pugugly {P}
Be careful what you stick to Polycarbonate lenses, you can damage them very easily with the wrong type of sticky stuff. Could end up as a fine example of "penny wise..." etc.
Thanks for your advice..I am going to use the load adjuster on the dashboard to dip the lights to lowest extent to avoid dazzling the french! or frogs!
Nick I appreciated your comments above and very amusing! i am white and also wet on as well! Wish you well in your retirement! Shocked at you having to work still!
F1 Driver, see my profile re number of avaricious ex-wives! Definition of Marriage "Find a woman you think you love, buy a house together, find the love is not what is was thought to be, give her the house and move on!"

Pugugly I was not advocating sticking anything onto the polycarbonate lenses (or onto Xenons) but all is well if one uses the polycaronate protective overcover as they do not get nearly as hot and if they are damaged they do not cost £??? each!
lights for driving abroad - Pugugly {P}
I wasn't having a dig (for a change!)
lights for driving abroad - PhilW
I found Lucas beam deflectors the best - yes they are stick on but never left any residue on lights - in fact they are reuseable many times. They are black plastic but have a "silvered " reverse so no heat build up like you can get with insulation tape.
I find the Halfords ones fly off in the rain leaving only the glue which seems to be the very devil to remove.
I would give you a link but it doesn't seem to work! but if you Google "Lucas Beam Deflectors" the first one is "Layout 1" which is a Lucas PDF document - scroll to bottom of page
www.lucas-electrical.co.uk/lucas/catalogues/LUCAS_...f
Quote:-
"Lucas
"Headlamp Beam Converters
?When travelling on the continent it is
strongly recommended that headlamps
are adapted to eliminate headlamp
dazzle that would otherwise be caused
to oncoming drivers?
Features:
? Unique design ? exclusive to Lucas
? The converters are heat reflective selfadhesive