What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2007 import - sicnic
I am importing a 2007 ford focus from the US. I am having a difficult time getting insurance. The dealer wont supply it until i get a registration. The only info i have on it is the VIN. Any suggestions to help me out i only have 2 weeks left!!
Thanks
2007 import - Altea Ego
Sorry, you need to be a little clearer here, you mention insurance and registration in the same line.

For insurance, being a non common import (a US focus is not the same as a euro focus) you will need to consult an insurance broker, web search or yellow pages for one near you or someone on here might recommend one.

Where does the registration come into it? are you talking single vehicle type approval (SVA) I assume your supplying dealer/agent is doing this?

give us more details

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
2007 import - sicnic
well in order to get the plates from the dvla i need insurance. and most insurance companies wont give a quote on a car with just a VIN much less a 2007 model. The dealer is doing SVA. My main problem is getting insurance for a 2007 model US ford focus with just a VIN
2007 import - Collos25
I have never had a problem insuring cars on only the vin number I have brought upteen cars in from Germany .Try Peter Best in Southend I think,the one I always use to use for on off Porsches .Why on earth would you want to fetch this vehicle into the UK a European version is much better and will not drop in value like a stone I should imagine it would be worthless in the market at three years old, but each to there own.
2007 import - aahbarnes
When I imported a couple of Golfs from Denmark they insured it on the VIN number as soon as it landed on UK soil. Phone around, someone should do it.

p.s. Why are you importing a Focus from the US?
2007 import - Altea Ego
"My main problem is getting insurance for a 2007 model US ford focus with just a VIN"

You need the services of a broker here. The major insurers wont be of any use.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
2007 import - bell boy
it needs the sva before a log book can be made up which in turn means it cant be taxed as until the sva it will not be assigned a registration number that you can legally use .
also you are importing a 2007 spec car that an insurance company cannot compare with any specific english counterpart how would you put a price on it?its a bit like a Q reg insurance companies wont want to know
Get the supplying dealer to sva it get the plates made up for it stick some tax in the window then go see if an insurance company is willing to take it on board.
Seems a strange way that you are doing it to me and to be honest im a disbeliever
2007 import - mss1tw
If it's not the V8 RWD Focus you need your head examined! ;o)

Mmmmm nice wallowy suspension and an engine tuned to run on 'fairy liquid' as Clarkson calls it.
2007 import - Pugugly {P}
I was able to get insurance on my "Spanish" Landie when I phoned my broker from Spain. The fact that the Landie was on Spanish plates presented little more than a slight hesitation from her wehn I phoned. COver note was posted out to me within three days.
2007 import - rtj70
So a USA lhd Focus is between $14k and $18k. Lets call it £7800-£10k excluding VAT, shipping and shipping costs. And you end up with left hand drive. At VAT and it's looking like £9165 and £11,750. Add shipping and type approval and surely it's near £10k to £12.5k???

Is there something you're not telling us about why you'd event want to import this? For a little more you could be having a brand new rhd example. Or better still cheaper nearly new.
2007 import - rtj70
You have to laugh when one of the Ford USA options for a Focus is traction. I kid you not. An option box to tick is also airbags. Worst is colour choice. I am okay with charcoal/charcoal and charcoal/flint for interior but check out peble/peble!!!!! Especially Adam :-) Only kidding adam.

Excuse typos above please :-)
2007 import - Adam {P}
Oi - I'll have you know that peble or parchment, stone washed, beige if you will , interiors are superb.

Murder to keep clean though. You should see mine at the minute. Only washed them a month ago and already they look like they're out of an old Cortina.
2007 import - bell boy
they are .............ford found a load of tat interiors down at basildon :-)
2007 import - Adam {P}
The way I've been treated by a certain Ford dealership in Merseyside (that MUST be broad enough DD!), that wouldn't surprise me in the least oldy!
2007 import - rtj70
Adam pulling your leg mate. Not sure if you checked Ford USA's website for a Focus interior in pebble... well it's not nice. My cat's vomit is a nicer colour.
2007 import - Phil I
Ah but I will put small money they cannot produce this wih the authentic cat vomit odour.
2007 import - rtj70
Our cat's vomits is without any real odour. Maybe normally throwing up the cat food with some fur?

Sorry to steal orig thread. But cannot think how you can save real money,
2007 import - cheddar
IIRC the Ford Focus sold in the US is still an update of the previous model, 2006 models certainly were when I was over there last autumn. Perhaps the 2007 US model is now based on the 2005 on Euro spec. One reason for an import is they have various sporty versions that you cannot get here.
2007 import - Happy Blue!
As per usual with people new to the Backroom, asking weird questions, I am skeptical about the bona fides of the questioner and the question.

I am usually right, and remain to be convinced he is not a troll. We shall see.
2007 import - stevied
What is a "troll"?

Sounds intriguing!
2007 import - Happy Blue!
A troll is a person who deliberately makes statements or comments in a forum or chatroom design to inflame people or to get people 'talking' about nonsense and therefore wasting people's time.

Do you really believe that a person supposedly interested in cars, is going to import a brand new US model Focus? I don't. A Mustang - yes, but a Focus, no. You can buy aperfectly decent Focus for £14,000 here. Why save £2000 in purchase price to watch the car value go down the drain in one year.
2007 import - stevied
Ah I see. What a good word! I like that.

It does seem a little odd, Espada. Mind you, people import cars from Europe to save a few quid, often not realising that they will end up paying elswehere.

But yes, a person who has an interest in cars is unlikely to import a Focus from the US.

2007 import - rtj70
But you can import a RHD vehicle from Europe, and save money. But anything from USA will be LHD so you're not saving when you factor in depreciation. And import costs will be quite high (type approval, VAT etc).

So I agree this thread must be a windup. i hope it is because the OP surely cannot think this is a good idea.