What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - JohnX

Having covered 12000 miles since the time I bought the Passat, I have now almost reduced all 4 tyres to a bald patch!

After much forum searching I have now narrowed my choice to the following ones.

1)Goodyear F1 GSD3's(lots of backroomer recommendations however does not seem to be available in 195-65-15 size for the Passat)

2)Kumho Ecsta- ultra high performance-don?t know much but supposedly as good as any others.

3)Toyo proxies-superb dry performance

4)Lastly the Michelin Pilot Primacy-both good dry and wet grip.presently the front two tyres,but looking to see if there are any better alternatives

With an average mileage of 25k a year, Im looking for really good grip and dry/wet performance abilities over everything else!
Im not as bothered about the wear and tear ,and likewise would probably prefer something that is dearer but has a greater chance of keeping me on the road should an emergency arise!

Any comments/advise thanks in advance.

John

Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - IanW1977
1 and 3 have short lives, I haven't managed to get 25k out of either tyre.
Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - Altea Ego
Had the michelins on the goona. Grip in the wet was the best I ever had. Good wear - Got over 30k from the fronts (heavy FWD diesel engine). Ride a bit firm and a bit noisy.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - gsb
Had Primacys on my 406 for approx 4 years about 20K a year and always been happy. Just bought 4 more, always from Costco. At the moment £234.96 but had a discount voucher so £189.84 all in, same size as yours. Well pleased. If you have one not to far away, you have to be a member about £29 p.a. Still good value.
Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - David Horn
Toyos! Can't go wrong.
Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - jc2
My latest car has come with Pirelli Zero Nero and are proving excellent in all conditions tho' I can't say about wear yet.
Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - wotspur
tyres on my Renault's are always Pirelli Primacy, if the manufacturer who can afford to try out all makes consider them to be the best suited for that vehicle who am I to agrue.
It may not be the most conclusive of arguements but until some one comes up with a better thought ,my belief is that cheap or inferior tyres might mean the conclusion of my life, and so far I've been proved right.
Good grip in both wet and dry although they are probably one of the most expensive tyres available I'm happy to pay the extra. What about you
Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - LeePower
You cant go wrong with any of the newer Michelin tyres.

After having 4 x Pirelli P6000s on my old 405 that didnt last 6K miles I swopped to the Pilot Primacy, BRILLIANT tyres, 12K out the fronts & 24K out the backs ( I do drive hard ) Really worth the extra money.

Im gonna stick 4 Michelins on my 206 in a couple months when I get my new wheels ready, Its got Goodyear GT2s on at the moment & they are just dreadful.
Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - psi
my money is with the toyo's, best grip i have felt.
Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - drbe
It's an American site, but worth a look:-

www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/tires/pages/tireratings.cfm
Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - machika
tyres on my Renault's are always Pirelli Primacy

Shouldn't that be Michelin Primacy?
Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - psi
i find that my continental eco contact 195/60/R15/V 's on my focus give me about 4-5mpg extra esp. on motorways compared to the last black circles I had. they are also very very grippy on the focus well worth the money
Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - SjB {P}
You were right first time.

Goodyear Eagle GSD3 F1
No messing.
Job done.
Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - Hamsafar
The Eagle F1s will give the best grip in the wet by a long stretch, but the Pilot Primacy will last much longer.
Don't bother with P6000, that's an 11 year old design now and showing it's age, the Goodyear NCT5 is also now no longer produced even though still plentiful in the supply chain.
Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - autumnboy
I've had two sets of Kumho Powermax 769 tyres, both sets covering approx. 25k on each set.

Fitted on a 1.9td Citroen with increased boost, and found them good all round wet or dry also not loosing thier shape having to keep on re-balancing.

Had a set of Goodyear NCT5, ok both wet or dry. But tyre wear was not as good as Kumho with approx. 18k.

Exceptional Tyres-Down to the last 4 - piggy
I can recommend the Toyos.I`ve now done several thousand miles with mine and as you say,dry grip is superb.What if they dont last as long a harder compounded tyres,at £50 a corner(which is what I paid) you can`t go wrong.