What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Early MOT - Chris S
I was thinking of putting my car through the MOT early, just to get it checked over. (I could do with new shocks but it's pointless replacing them if I'm getting rid of it).

Anyway, if my car fails the test will it invalidate the remainder of my current MOT, which is about 6 months?
Early MOT - Armitage Shanks {p}
You can get it tested one month before the due date and have the new certificate dated from the expiry date of the current one. If it fails, I don't know about the validity of the month of the overlap, wher you would have one certificate saying 'Fail' and a current one saying 'Pass'!
Early MOT - Peter D
With the old paper system the original certificate was valid even with a failed test if the fail was not due to a safety issue like brakes, steering, seatbelts excessive corrosion and the like, however with the new computer system I do not know, ask your local MOT test station. Regards Peter
Early MOT - henry k
>>....however with the new computer system I do not know, ask your local MOT test station.
>>
Assuming the test station where you are about to take your car is computerised, my logic says that from that test onwards, any reference to the computer stored MoT information will show the latest results. If it fails and the ANPR or the traffic boys etc enquire will then they will not be happy.
Early MOT - No FM2R
>>if my car fails the test will it invalidate the remainder of my current MOT,

No, since there is nothing in the MOT regulations which says that the vehicle must be roadworthy for the entire 12 months. Just that every vehicle must have a MOT Test Certificate which is no older than 12 months. So from an MOT point of view you have no issue.

However....

If you know that the vehicle is unroadworthy and continue to drive it, not only do you commit traffic offences, you'll also find that your insurance company is going to cause all sorts of issues int he event of an incident.

Not to mention that it would be irresponsible and dumb to drive an unroadworthy vehicle.

It rather depends on why it failed....
Early MOT - martint123
Sadly my mx5 failed last wednesday, due to a corroded brake pipe (having changed it and seen it up close, I would have appealed as it was surface rust, no sign of pitting which what the book says fail on - but you can't appeal once you have changed it).
It was slightly amusing (if I didn't have to pay for it) to have to sit there for 40 minutes doing nothing while the computer clocked the time up.

The back of the form did say that any existing MOT certificate would still be valid.

Martin
Early MOT - Dwight Van Driver
Just musing but....

Not every member of the black hand gang at an authorised MOT Garage can test and those that do are such as to be authorised to conduct the test with VOSA (Sec of State).

Now under the Road Traffic Act 1988 power is given to an authorised examiner to prohibit the use on a road of a defective vehicle either immediate or partial.......

dvd