What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Optional Extras Rip Off - type's'
It amazes me how manufacturers can charge what they do for some optional extra's.
I have just looked at the Honda web site for example and they charge £1400 for Bluetooth and Sat Nav in the accord.
Compared to a Tom Tom 700 at approx £350ish from some web sites - that is a saving of £1050 for a device that offers the same functionality.
Am I correct or am I missing something that you could help me with - who would pay the extra ?
Optional Extras Rip Off - mare
Am I correct or am I missing something that you could
help me with - who would pay the extra ?

misguided souls who don't realise that you can buy Tom Tom?
Optional Extras Rip Off - Altea Ego
Its called choice.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Optional Extras Rip Off - SjB {P}
Its called choice.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

It is indeed.

A case in point: I think my iPAQ 2210 with TomTom 5 and CF card antenna is a stonking bit of kit and hard to beat; usable in car on pushbike and on motorbike, intuitive, speed trap and other POI downloadable, reliable, and of course I have a fully functioning PDA to use as well. Excellent, and all for about five hundred notes including the car kit, motorbike kit, and so on.

My brother though just shelled out a couple of grand on the built in RTI system when he purchased his new XC90; this despite the fact that it is not portable so can't be used in his wife's car, can't have downloaded point of interest overlays installed, has a horrid, curt, "spoken voice", doesn't have full postcode navigation, is less intuitive to use, and has a far inferior rolling map.

Why?

Leaving aside that he also got a built in phone system with it, the prime reasons were (a) he's a technophobe and proud of it whereas I am happy to fiddle around with the PDA and TomTom (including plug-in applications to change the behaviour of TomTom itself), (b) he liked the whizzy-whizz pop-up screen, and (c) he was quite happy to shell out the wonga and not bat an eyelid! As simple as that.
Optional Extras Rip Off - Ian (Cape Town)
Lump it all together and pay it off over n months, as opposed to buying the car, then adding on.
It amazed me when an ex girlfriend of mine went ot buy a VW Golf - they wanted a HUGE amount for the radio as an extra.
We could get a better set, with speakers, for 60% of the price!
Maybe some folk feel happy with 'factory fitted' in case it goes wrong.
Optional Extras Rip Off - L'escargot
Maybe some folk feel happy with 'factory fitted' in case it
goes wrong.

Yep. And when I get a new car I want to drive it and enjoy the luxury of the optional extras straight away. Also I don't want to carry out DIY on it and risk jeopardising any part of the warranty.
--
L\'escargot.
Optional Extras Rip Off - Ian (Cape Town)
Also I don't want to carry out DIY on it
and risk jeopardising any part of the warranty.

Indeed - and on this side of the pond there have been MAJOR issues with certain German Luxury Car brands and tracking devices - the car manufacturers say THEY have to approve placement and power-feed for any tracker, and the tracker boys are saying "no way jose!" for obvious reasons!
There's been some horror stories of cars going, literally, haywire after somebody tapped into the loom somewhere for a power supply.
Optional Extras Rip Off - artful dodger {P}
Have a look at the price for having some reversing sensors fitted. Usually about £300 to £350. Can buy them for under £30 and fit yourself in about an hour.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Optional Extras Rip Off - Group B
On my Saab 2.2 TiD, cruise control did not come as standard and IIRC was a £575 extra (when new in 1999). But the car has a fly-by-wire throttle and has all the necessary sensors, microswitches, light in the dash, installed as standard (presumably cheaper to have one standard wiring loom for all trim levels?).
All I had to do was buy a new indicator stalk with the cruise buttons on, and it took me 10 minutes to fit it myself. Cost of the stalk was about £55, mail order from Elkparts.co.uk.
Optional Extras Rip Off - Statistical outlier
I saw an Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi specced up to £27k when I was car shopping in December. £27k!!! The mind boggles, it's still only a 2 litre diesel smallish car.

That was when I came to my senses and walked away from Audi. Lovely cars, but for me, only an option if someone else is going to pay.
Optional Extras Rip Off - blue_haddock
Check with your dealer about the cost of the sat nav - recently honda were offering the sat nav at a highly reduced cost through leasing companies although not sure if it was retail as well.
Optional Extras Rip Off - Bill Payer
I saw an Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi specced up to
£27k when I was car shopping in December. £27k!!! The mind
boggles, it's still only a 2 litre diesel smallish car.

No worse than the £25K A Class's that you see in Merc dealers.

The Honda prices for Sat Nav seem almost reasonable - and it really does 'lift' the Accord's interior. If it's available with bluetooth for £1400 then that's not too bad - it used to be £1500 for Nav on its own.

MB options are ridiclous - Sat Nav (COMAND) is £1800, phone (wiring only) is £500 - the phone holder is another £135.
On most Merc's, you're really looking at a minimum of Auto, leather and phone for about £3000, adding COMAND takes that to more or less £5000.
Optional Extras Rip Off - barney100
I got Tom Tom sat nav for my Merc and a phone holder off the shelf, cost of fitting was two pints of bitter to an engineering mate and a bill for £260 in all. Some folks still seem happy to pay for factory kit though.
Optional Extras Rip Off - trancer
I would say your engineering mate robbed you then as there is no way there is two pints of bitter's worth of labour involved in installing those. 8-)

Factory fit satnav looks much better than a TomTom stuck to the windscreen. It is also larger and easier to read, usually integrages nicely with the audio system and best of all doesn't attract smash and grab thieves armed with a brick. In some model/brands the car will actually be easier to sell on with factory fit satnav than without.

Having said all that I wouldn't pay that much for factory sat nav, but can certainly understand why others would.
Optional Extras Rip Off - Falkirk Bairn
£5K for fitted extras on an XJ,E-Class or 5 Series might be the norm but also one has to take into account who is spending the money.

I would say the majority of the cars are company owned and few are retail punters.

Witness the number of prestige car drivers who, when they retire, then find an Accord/Mondeo perfectly adequate especially when the car and the petrol card do not come standard with their monthly pension.

An exception might be the £250K per year GP we have heard about this week.
Optional Extras Rip Off - Bill Payer
£5K for fitted extras on an XJ,E-Class or 5 Series might
be the norm but also one has to take into account
who is spending the money.

That's rubbish, to be honest - company car tax is horrendous on these kinds of car, and adding options just makes it worse, as it pushes up the taxable value of the car.
Optional Extras Rip Off - Roly93
On my Saab 2.2 TiD, cruise control did not come as
standard and IIRC was a £575 extra (when new in 1999).
But the car has a fly-by-wire throttle and has all
the necessary sensors, microswitches, light in the dash, installed as standard
(presumably cheaper to have one standard wiring loom for all trim
levels?).
All I had to do was buy a new indicator stalk
with the cruise buttons on, and it took me 10 minutes
to fit it myself. Cost of the stalk was about
£55, mail order from Elkparts.co.uk.

>>
Its a near identical story on the Golf/Passat and almost exactly the same price, although you have to pay the dealer 1/2 hr labour for enabling the software after byouve fitted the parts.
Optional Extras Rip Off - Vansboy
OK, not so much 'extras' but what about Special Editions?

Mazda are experts at this, ESPECIALLY on Mx5!!

Take Mr's V's, now 3 yr old Montana, list £18995 - around £2000 more than the Sport, was but no 16'' wheels, wheel arch extensions & no limited slip dif, but you DID get, pearlescent paint, leather, air con, hardtop, fog lights, dashwood kit, mats, just 250 made in the colour, so not bad value.

Then she added the wheel arch extensions & painting of, radiator mesh, style bars, hardtop stand & cover, locking wheel nuts,fluffy dice & we've added another £200 almost.

So you can save, but still spend more.

& no she didn't pay list, or anything like!!

VB

PS If you've a spare 1/2 hour & want to be REALLY scared of £$£$ cost, try the Range Rover accessory brochure & up spec it the way YOU'd have it!!!
Optional Extras Rip Off - Vansboy
Meant added £2000 almost!!

VB
Optional Extras Rip Off - Dr Rubber
Sticking with factory fit gives some benefits:
Its harder to nick factory fit sat nav, and it uses speed sensors as well as GPS.
Factory fit telephone kit often integrates with the cars MFD and steering wheel controls.

Also, in modern cars some serious electronics/rewiring is required to integrate aftermarket stuff into the cars loom (eg. Golf V and clones have no switched live, illumination, or speed signal to the headunit).

That said, I'm not sure if I would pay £350 for a telephone kit when a better aftermarket one is only £150!

Joe
Optional Extras Rip Off - Dipstick
Having had factory fit satnav in the last car, now am temping in another whilst waiting for the right car to come along. So at the moment have no factory satnav and have invested in a standalone unit.

Lovely bit of kit, clever, fast, nice features, (although still not as good on my previous one) but also a right pain in the hoop, what with putting it in cradles, removing it every time you stop, hiding it, fiddling about with power cords and recharges...

The journey through Welsh mountains yesterday when it lost the satellites every six seconds was a nuisance too. Can't wait to get back to a proper system! At least when you lose satellites with those it doesn't just give up, as the sensors fitted to the wheels drop it into dead reckoning mode for the duration of loss.

I appreciate there's a bit of a price advantage of course, but you do get a lot less hassle with factory fit.

That said, I'm not sure if I would pay £350 for
a telephone kit when a better aftermarket one is only £150!

What's another £200 when you're paying several thousands, or perhaps even several tens of thousands, for a new car? If I wanted a telephone kit I'd be happy to pay the extra £200 for the peace of mind that having it factory fitted (and warranted) would give.
--
L\'escargot.
Optional Extras Rip Off - lazza
Buy a map book - it's cheaper and you won't mind if it gets stolen! Unless you can't read a map!
Optional Extras Rip Off - Mapmaker
It amazes me what manufacturers charge for the car in the first place.
Optional Extras Rip Off - boxsterboy
No-one is forcing you to buy these 'optional' extras.

Buy nearly-new and get them for free (like I did with my Merc - Comand, leather, integrated phone, parking sensors, etc. and a £10k discount on a 1 month old car)
Optional Extras Rip Off - Union Jack
I ken what you mean, but still an interesting definition of "free", BB!

Jack
No-one is forcing you to buy these 'optional' extras.
Buy nearly-new and get them for free

I tried to find a nearly-new Focus with a factory fitted optional extra sunroof. Even asking my dealer to find one for me got me nowhere.
--
L\'escargot.