What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fake wood dash trim - Turbodog
Hi all
I've always hated the fake wood dash trim you see on top model Fords or as an optional extra on BMWs etc. but now all of a sudden I'm finding it much more appealing; classy even. (Maybe it isn't fake, at least not on BMWs, Mercs etc).
Is this an age related phenomenon?
Fake wood dash trim - Adam {P}
I doubt it.
Fake wood dash trim - MichaelR
I like fake wood trim. I'm not that old.
Fake wood dash trim - Altea Ego
It depends how fake it looks. Only Jaguar seemed to get the look right.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Fake wood dash trim - mss1tw
I had it in a Ghia Fiesta, I thought it looked absolutely ridiculous.
I had it in a Ghia Fiesta, I thought it looked
absolutely ridiculous.

I agree, but in my friends' 5 series it looks great; a lot better IMO than the horrible band of aluminium you get as standard.
And with a nice tartan rug......
Fake wood dash trim - Peter S
I agree, but in my friends' 5 series it looks great;
a lot better IMO than the horrible band of aluminium you
get as standard.
And with a nice tartan rug......

Aluminium! I'll have you know the standard trim in a 5 series is plastic; everything else is extra ;-)

Peter
Oops! Well, it looks like aluminium....
Fake wood dash trim - Peter S
Oops! Well, it looks like aluminium....

Just having fun! It probably is the aluminium trim in your friend's car, but that comes as standard with the £3,000 sport pack!! Nothings free in a BMW...

Peter
Fake wood dash trim - Lud
Even real wood trim can look seriously naff (remember those blinged-up Mini-Coopers from the sixties?). Can look OK of course as well in Rolls-Royces and the like.

Best fake one I ever saw was some blue-stained walnut in some tweaked Ford or other... looked terrific, and I like the black version too.
Fake wood dash trim - Dzl
I think I'd rather have some wood effect plastic rather than some aluminium effect plastic or plain old pastic effect plastic.

plastic by any other name...
Fake wood dash trim - Adam {P}
The irony is, the interior of my car is cheap. It's patently (whatever happened to him) plastic of the very cheapest variety made to look like wood with a cream (some would call it beige) interior.

But here's the thing, whenever I look at any other car, (especially a Focus with "aluminium" trim) it looks horribly cheap and nasty - even on the upper end of the normal car market.

I know it's only a Ford but I'd be made up if my next car had a light interior, wood effect and was screwed together half as well as the one I have now. (6 years and not a squeak).

But then again, you all knew I was weird.
Fake wood dash trim - LHM
At least it's not as bad as the wood-grain sticky back plastic adorning the side panels of many American cars of yesteryear!

Can't think of anything more repellant on a car.