What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
You're going to love me... - Adam {P}
I promise this is going to be the last "What's car X like?" thread from me until I'm actively out buying a car. It's only because you're all so knowledgable that I ask! Thanks to you, I've discounted endless cars!

I was doing my monthly habit of thinking the other day and I realised, I'm going to have to modify my car critera a bit rather than settle for something because it's a saloon. I'd still have a Ghia X V6 Mondeo with the kit on but at the moment the cloest one is 250 miles away. Assuming things don't change in between now and September (if they do I'll start looking at them again) I've changed my mind slightly.

Of course, being me it has to be off the wall. And we've gone from Ford Mondeo to...

...Honda Accord.....Coupe?

They seem to have the power I need (3.0) and I've always liked the look of them. The back is very NSX looking (always a good thing) but obviously it's only 2 doors. The only thing is, I love the look of them as they're quite big but they're perhaps a little girly. I wouldn't really care if you all said "They're superb cars". I have a horrible feeling that they'd be rather sterile to drive despite having a big block and I realise that this is more than likely unfair.

So, thoughts?

Next thought was....and you're going to laugh here. Mitsubishi FTO. I know! These are 2.0 V6's and I'm sure I read a while ago Aprilia praising the MIVAC engines. They're fairly small and I realise I've gone from family car to fun car but I'm just weighing up all the options. I don't have kids or anything so I don't NEED so many doors and I'm just wondering whether it's best I get the silly car business out of my system before I turn 30, have a house, wife, kids, dogs etc etc.

So - advice please!

I'd like to extend a further apology at keep flitting from car to car and asking all these questions but I seriously have discounted cars from my list because of what people have said on here so you'd be doing me a massive favour!

Thanks again,

Adam
You're going to love me... - artful dodger {P}
Really Adam I thought you would have realised by now that every car needs 6 wheels - 4 on the road, a spare plus a steering wheel!

To be honest you might find out now what you think is the ideal car for you, but when the time comes to make the decision you will probably be tempted by something else you see. When buying you can be up against another buyer who decides quicker than you that a particular car is for them. Missing out on a good car because you cannot make up your mind to buy it will probably cause you some grief.

By the way I still love your postings for their youthful ideas.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
You're going to love me... - Collos25
Why do you need 3.0 when there is a 70mph speed limit in this country.
You're going to love me... - MichaelR
Why do you need 3.0 when there is a 70mph speed
limit in this country.

Becuase getting to 70mph as quickly as you possibly can is huge fun. This is why I must have a 200bhp car next.

Moving on...

Accord Coupes... built for the American market, so fat and cruiserlike. Wouldn't bother.

FTO's... We have an FTO. It has good and bad points:

Good points:

Great looking
Does not look 11 years
Outstanding performance (Ours is a GPX)
Fantastic handling
Climate Control
Everyone STILL says 'Whats that?'

Bad points:

Horrible, nasty, bland plastic interior
More rattles than... a rattle shop.
No kit really, ok you get climate but thats it. Most have no airbags, you don't get cruise, you dont get leather, etc.
Harsh ride - it is a sporty car overall.

With the exception of the great performance, I prefer my Mondeo but then I'm odd.

And on the subject of Mondeos, just buy one of the many Ghia X V6's and fit the kit yourself, it's hardly difficult. Even if you pay someone else to do it you'll probably still save a pile over getting an ST24.
Thanks Michael - I've nto seen one in the flesh yet so I'll need to get looking.

You're a dark horse by the way - I knew Michael R Snr had a 530 but I didn't know you had an FTO in the family!

Yup, had it for a few years now. It's a rather nice GPX MIVEC with a manual box.

We tried the tiptronic first but.. you really want the manual. The only reason I prefer my Mondeo is becuase it's more my sort of car - there is no doubt that as sub £10k Coupes go, the FTO is a fantastic example. It's also brilliantly quick.

Most of the performance figures quoted are for the considerably more common Tiptronic, the manual GPX will hit 60 in 6.3 seconds.

Amazed at how well they stand the test of time both in terms of not being dated, and also durability. Hide the plate and no non-car-enthusiast would know it was 11 years old.
You're going to love me... - Aprilia
I like the FTO's.

There are two V6 engine options; GPX (MIVEC) and GR (non-MIVEC) the only difference is the cylinder heads - the MIVEC has the variable valve technology. The GR is more reliable - hard-driven GPX's have been known to go bang. The GPX has about 20bhp more than the GR - so not much in it. If I were buying I would go for the GR because of the better reliability. Its the same 6A12 engine that goes in the Galant VR6 - a lovely smooth engine.

I like FTO's because they look good, are very very reliable and I can fit in them! (I'm about 6'4" and 17 stone - so I can't easily get in an MX-5 and a Smart Roadster is impossible!). I can get really comfortable in an FTO.
Hnadling and performance are excellent. Most are tiptronics, but 5-speed manual is best. The manual box is very notchy - I have partially cured this on a couple of them by changing to a special gearbox oil - but care is still needed when cold otherwise you'll crunch gears.

FTO common faults are: alternator failure (£150-200 for a new one); stepper motor failure (wandering idle speed - about £100 for new part). Knocking front and rear drop links (£30 for the bits and an hour or two to fit). Not much really, the basic engine is very sound. They don't seem to suffer from blown head gaskets, like so many other sports cars....

HJ's CBCB on the FTO is a bit odd - he refers to many modifications being necessary. I don't think this is the case - they run best on 98RON fuel, but have a know sensor and will be happy on Regular unleaded. They should drive OK straight off the boat from Japan.

There is a white '96 manual FTO GR in the autotrader with 28k miles on the clock for about £5k - looks a good buy (in Birmingham). Good luck with whatever you buy.
is the case - they run best on 98RON fuel, but
have a know sensor and will be happy on Regular unleaded.

Meant to type 'knock sensor'.....
You're going to love me... - Pezzer
Oh for goodness sake you're young - its got to be the FTO. Plenty of time for old man's cars later. If you dont get the sports car out of your hair, you'll always regret it. Think of it a bit like a right of passage before partners/children/careers etc start intruding on your time, space and money !!

:-)
P

You're going to love me... - Chas{P}
Adam

You had over 10,000 Mondeo ST's & Ghia X's to potentially find....

Accord 3.0 Coupe's: 1,200

Mitsubishi FTO Ralliart GPX: 150

Happy hunting.....!
--
Was Charles {P} but someone c o p i e d my name with spaces.
Adam
You had over 10,000 Mondeo ST's & Ghia X's to potentially
find....
Accord 3.0 Coupe's: 1,200
Mitsubishi FTO Ralliart GPX: 150
Happy hunting.....!
--
Was Charles {P} but someone c o p i e d
my name with spaces.

The 'Ralliart' FTO indicates an official Mitsubishi UK import (mostly between 1999-2001). Most FTO's were unofficial imports. There are probably 10,000 in the UK (just a wild guess). You can currently buy an FTO in Japan and import to UK for an all-in cost of about £3-4k. The trick would be finding a good one in Japan, since I suspect most of the better ones are already over here.
You're going to love me... - cheddar
Adam,

The Accord Cuope is an old mans car, I am a long way off one of those and I am twice your age.

FTO, fine drive, dodgy image, Nova - Saxo - FTO if you know what I mean.

How about a Prelude circa 2000, good value, 185bhp VTEC 2.2, not a V6 though.
Doh! Coupe, gee this site seems slow today.
You're going to love me... - edisdead {P}
How about Mazda MX3/MX6/Xedos6? Nice looking cars, all available with silky smooth V6 motors.
Ed.
Wow - Thanks for all the replies chaps! I'll address each on in turn.

Roger - You're probably right! I'll know I'll make a post saying "Right then. I'm off to buy Car X today!" and end up in the evening making a post saying "I just bought Car Y"!! I know it'll happen but that's half the fun!

P.S. Thanks! Some say youthful, others childish ;-)

Andy - The last 3 posts you've made in reply to mine have been deliberately confrontational designed, one can only assume, to get a rise out of me. You're more than welcome to post in any of my threads but I would really appreciate it if you could only reply with something halfway useful, funny or relevant rather than the nonsense you do at the minute. If you feel unable to do so, then please just don't post.

Aprilia - I knew you'd be along and you didn't disappoint! If you reckon the GR is better then so be it. One question though, why is the manual better than the tiptronic? I must confess, the notchy manual comment you made has concerned me a little. I know you've managed a fix but I know if I take it to a garage around here they'd no doubt cock it up! I'm unlucky like that.

Thanks for the info re the one for sale in Birmingham. If only it were a few more months down the line. I have a Vegas trip to pay for and a hefty amount for Uni!

Pezzer - That's exactly what I'd been telling myself subconsciously! Great minds and all that... ;-)

Charles - clearly those Ghia X and ST owners love what they've got because there are hardly any decent ones for sale near me! There are more STs admittedly but I'd had my heart set on all the toys. When have I ever done the normal thing though?!

Cheddar - You may be right. There are an awful lot of them in "that green" but it's 3.0. I mean...well...so is the Legend I guess and even that's a bit too saloon for my liking!

Not really too fussed about that end of the image really. I have to be honest, I've never seen one tarted up a la chav style around here but I wouldn't really care to be honest as long as the same never happened to the one I bought!

I like the Preludes but I'm afraid if it's not a V6, it's not on the list. Hey - that's pretty catchy!!

And finally - (my hands are hurting) Ed - Avant had suggested the Xedos but to be honest, I think they're a little boring. I hadn't thought of them until he'd mentioned it and I did a little research but I honestly can't see myself in one.

Thanks very much for all the help so far gents. Very much appreciated as always.

Cheers,

Adam

--

If it ain't a V6, it's not on the list
How about Mazda MX3/MX6/Xedos6? Nice looking cars, all available with
silky smooth V6 motors.
Ed.

Yes, nice motors, but might as well have a Ford Probe..
FTO, fine drive, dodgy image, Nova - Saxo - FTO if
you know what I mean.

No, can't agree with that. Most Nova and Saxo drivers wouldn't be able to get insurance on an FTO. You would need to be 21+ years with a reasonable record. They are a serious performance car.
A lot of FTO's are owned by reasonably mature people as 'weekend' cars (at least the ones I've had dealings with are..).

Incdentally, bear in mind that if you get a '95 or '96 model and have another 'regular' car, you can put an FTO on classic car insurance for not a lot of money!
Adam

Ref. the manual vs. Tiptronic FTO.

The Tiptronic is a nice little 'box. Cars up to '97 were 4-speed; 97-on was 5-speed and a much stronger 'box.
The tips are OK actually, but two things put me off them (i) - if they do go wrong they tend to be expensive to put right, they are a complex box and you will be talking about a 5-10 year old car. (ii) - they knock about 30bhp off the performance - in other words a manual GR will be faster than a tip GPX. The initial 'pull away' is a bit sluggish in the tip.

The manual suits the car so much better and it will be a much more sought-after car when you come to sell. Once its warmed up the changes are fine.

If a good Tip came up though, I wouldn't necessary reject it.
Just checked out the CBCB entry on the FTO:

"As they come off the boat from Japan numerous mods are needed for the cars to run properly on UK petrol and meet UK/EU Type Approval regs."

Sorry HJ, this is not exactly correct. I have put one of these through SVA myself. The car will run straight off the boat on UK petrol.

You need to:

Check tyres are UK legal (best to replace actually).
Filler restrictor in fuel filler neck (£15).
Some messing about with bulbs in the front sidelight/indicator pods.
Convert speedo to read MPH (I put a new speed face in - £20).

If you can't DIY then an import place will charge you about £150 for the above.

The engine will run on anything from about 92-100RON petrol. It will develop maximum power on the high octance stuff, but I suspect most owners run theirs on Tesco 95RON - they run great.
Aprilia,

Thanks again for the technical info.

A strange request. I've just been talking to my mate who, despite never having driven an FTO at all or having any experience of a tiptronic box, believes that the GPX tiptronic would be faster because it would make up for the 10bhp loss on the manual GR by it's super quick gear changes.

Can you please give me a nice technical reason why he's completely and utterly wrong so I can shut him up once and for all!?
Aprilia,
Thanks again for the technical info.
A strange request. I've just been talking to my mate who,
despite never having driven an FTO at all or having any
experience of a tiptronic box, believes that the GPX tiptronic would
be faster because it would make up for the 10bhp loss
on the manual GR by it's super quick gear changes.
Can you please give me a nice technical reason why he's
completely and utterly wrong so I can shut him up once
and for all!?

The torque convertor loss on the tip is more than 10bhp; more like 20-30, so quite significant.
Tip changes are not 'super-quick', a good driver could shift a manual as fast as a tip box can change up.
The main reason for the tip being slower to 60mph, aside from the power loss, is that you can't 'slip the clutch' on a tip. In a manual you can rev the engine and ease the clutch in to get a fast getaway. In the tip you can't - and its mostly that slow initial 'pull off' that makes the tip feel slower. I know there are people who hold the tip on the footbrake whilst reving the engine - but your torque convertor doesn't last long if you do that!
Thanks very much for that Aprilia!

I'll follow your advice if I do decide on an FTO. A GR ideally manual but not to discount a tiptronic unecessarily.

Thanks again,

Adam
You're going to love me... - borasport20
Adam - how happy would you be leaving the FTO parked in a car park or on the street while you went round town of an evening ?

I'm sure I must have told you about the neighbour who had his EVO 6 nicked.....

p.s. - Cheddar, you are right, it is dog slow today. It would be quicker to handwrite the pages and send them round by carrier pigeon at the moment

Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Mike you never told me that at all!!!

When we first moved in, the house across the road was occupied by a pair of police officers, and he drove a Marcos Mantula. A few weeks later he changed it for a Mistubishi Evo 6.

Every time he came home, his wife would have to move her car off the drive and he would put his at the end of the drive, enable the alarm and immobiliser, put the disklok on, then she would park her car behind his and put the alarm on.

about two months later at about 4 am one night, , somebody broke into her car, disabled the alarm, pushed it off the drive, broke into the evo, got the disklok off, disabled the alarm, mobilised the car,pushed it off the drive and turned it round, started it up and floored it. You could still hear it changing gear at the mini-roundabout by The Poacher, which by my reckoning is about 1 km away.

We didn't get any sleep for the rest of the night, as every copper in L division came round to take the mickey (Including the force helicopter)

No trace of the evo was ever found, he replaced it with a Rover 100 which nobody was ever going to nick (not least of all because it was a poor starter - I gave him a hand pushing it more than once )

so now you know
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Wow - I'll never leave my car unlocked again!

How long ago was this Mike? Did you move in when the houses were first built?
That was about three years ago at the most. Strangely, after that happened, somebody a few houses dwon the road swapped their car for another Mitsubishi EVO, which is still there, and as far as I know, nobody has ever tried to nick it.

The first one was almost certainly nicked to order, and it shows that if somebody wants it, they'll have it

www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Aprilla mentioned the Ford Probe, now here's a V6 idea and it is a fairly contemporary V6 too, a Ford Cougar V6, same 2.5 V6 as a Mondeo 2.5 V6, the Probe had a Mazda V6 motor, well it was er a Mazda.

Hows that for a V6, V6 boy?

(Have I said V6 enough?)
You're going to love me... - mss1tw
Wow - I'll never leave my car unlocked again!

I think by the grace of God you're going to be OK.
Mike,

I didn't realise it was so recent. That would be about the time we moved in I think. It wasn't me though - honest!

Cheddar - believe it or not, the other day I thought of a Cougar but when I told Dad he said I'd look like a girl.

Say V6 one more time.

And mss1tw - I think that too but I just can't quite put my finger on why!
Say V6 one more time.

No, cant, ive run out!

You're going to love me... - Happy Blue!
I disagree with your Dad. I reckon the Cougar V6 is the way to go. Probably reliable, cheap parts, not many around, good looking.

I much prefer the confidence of a proper UK supplied car rather than a SVA import type thingy.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
You're going to love me... - mike hannon
Don't discount the Accord coupe unless you've driven one - I doubt if many people who pass comment on it actually have. If it's an old man's car then I'm glad I've grown old. It's a hell of a motor but understated.
Having said that, the fifth generation Prelude with the 2.2 Vtech has all the performance and actually handles better. The engine sounds as good as a V6 too, when it's against the collar. And you can have one for the price of something ordinary.
You're going to love me... - Pete M
If you're talking about V6s, and bearing in mind that the Evo and the FTO have rated a mention... Could I suggest a Mitsubishi Galant VR-4? Well rated in the CBCB, and being uncommon (at least in the UK) it's a real Q-ship. With 4WD, 2.5 24v twin turbo 280bhp engine, ABS, ASC, AYC, 16" wheels, what more could you ask for. My wife loves her Legnum (Galant Estate) VR-4 in pearl white with black leather interior and privacy glass. An Evo is faster, but not by much, and the Galant is very smooth and comfortable to drive. These are very popular here in NZ, and not just the VR-4, but the n/a 2.5 V6, the 2.4 4-pot GDI and even the 1800 GDI. The styling isn't to everyone's taste, as it looks rather agressive, but that's a minor point. Fuel economy is not a strong point with the VR-4, but the others are fairly good.
You're going to love me... - blue_haddock
It doesn't matter what Adam is looking at now - we all know he'll end up with a mondeo TDCi
You're going to love me... - Avant
I can see what you're after Adam - a big old Japanese 6-cylinder coupe, rare enough for everyone to ask 'what on earth is it?'

One more left-field suggestion - I think the Honda Legend came as a coupe. That would tick most of your boxes. Saloons will be slightly less rare, though.
You're going to love me... - jaffa
Adam,
As far as I can see, no one has suggested the ultimate Coupe. Which is of course the Peugeot 406 Coupe, I am a happy owner ( Well most of the time ) of a V6, without a doubt a stunningly beautiful car and a delight to drive. check the following link and you will see why.

www.peugeot406coupe.com
You're going to love me... - cumfray1
If your talking 3.0 & also Mitsubishi, why not combine both of them & go for a Mitsubishi 3000 GT twin turbo in black or red. Very quick, looks good & is in no way sterile. Quite rare these days & are UK registered from new. Worth considering??
You're going to love me... - cumfray1
If you want a look at one, heres the ebay item number 4621136921.

Oh by the way Adam as an afterthought, it is also a V6.

So 3.0, V6, twin turbo & 280bhp problem solved.
You're going to love me... - BazzaBear {P}
Nissan 300ZX? Only drawback is that you are legally obliged to grow a chest wig and wear a medallion necklace. To be a little more understated (and stick with a saloon which I believe was your original plan) Nissan QX, exactly the same car underneath.
Thanks for all the continued replies!

The FTO idea took a bit of a hit when I found out that insurers class it as group 18-20!!! There's no way Id be able to insure that at my age with such little No Claims. It's costing me a grand to insure a group 8 car as it is!!!

So, to that end, the lovely cars mentioned here, such as the Galant VR4, 3000GT, (twin turbo - the only one worth having!) and 300ZX I think are going to be too "uninsurable".

I still haven't really dicounted the Accord Coupe but would need to drive one nor have I driven a Cougar. I'll be honest, I still haven't dicounted that either. It seems to be the next best thing to a V6 Focus.

Avant - never even knew the Legend came in Coupe guise! I imagine it's quite big and therefore good! I'd still like a drive in a V6 Galant but they're quite rare around these parts too.

Jaffa - I love the look of the 406 Coupe but there's no way Dad would let me buy a Peugeot since our distastrous experience with the 405. I know it's unfair and the 406 is probably twice the car but he won't let me. Similarly he won't let me buy a Renault or Citreon (fair play on the last one ;-)) despite never owning one just because they come from the same country as the Peugeot did!

BB, there's a QX knocking about Uni and they're nice big saloons but I'm not sure. Again, I'd have to drive one. Probably one of those cases where I don't know what I'm missing out on.

I'd just like to say thanks again for all the advice. I do appreicate it. Much as I like the FTO, I can think of nicer Group 20 cars to insure though!

And rest assured there is no way I'll end up with a Mondeo TDCi!
You're going to love me... - mattc
Its a shame you have to rule out a 406 Coupe purely because someone else doesn't like the Peugeot marque. I have a 2.0 406 Coupe and it does everything I could possibly want & more! Great to look at and a fine drive - a real breath of fresh air compared to my previous Polo and Golf. Before buying it, I did have reservations regarding electrical niggles and reliability.. My fears were put at rest through reading through the forums on the peugeot406coupe.com website. There are lots of knowledgeable people on there ready to offer help and advice on any problems you might experience. I'm 25 with full NCB and insure mine for just over £500 fully comp for a 2.0 which is group 15 (through Greenlight insurance - great company!). They said they would cover me for the 3.0V6 for the same amount!
This is the first car i've ever owned that I would genuinely like to hold on to forever. You couldn't get a better recommendation than that :-)
Suprised about the insurance, Adam. I'm pretty sure you are the same age as me.

In which case, try Elephant and Nationwide. Both of them seem happy to insure me on anything up to and including a BMW 540i SE (4.4i, 286bhp) for £1250 comprehensive, or less.
Matt - that someone isn't just anyone - it's Dad! The boss. The chief! I'm pleased to read such a glowing recommendation about it though. I may check out the forums anyway and take a look. I do love the shape of it it has to be said.

Michael - you must live in the most friendly, crime free area ever! I guess the Gtr Manchester postcode doesn't do me any favours despite living in (well I think anyway!) a quietish area!

Nevertheless, I'll try Elephant and Nationwide and run a few quotes thorough.

Cheers.
You're going to love me... - mattc
lol, my dad is a Mondeo man himself (drives a 2004 TDCi no less) and has an aversion to German and French cars..So my last three cars? A Golf, A Polo and a 406 Coupe..Its my money and I do as I please! ;-)
Yeah but with my Dad, it is his money!!! ;-)

kidding, kidding!!