What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
tyres best - rob baker
what are best tyres for focus estate.
criteria: quiet (very important), good handling
i suppose sub criteria availability, price, longevity
many thanks
Re: tyres best - Nicholas Moore
Continental EcoContact CP (not the smaller EP) are VERY quiet in my experience.
Re: tyres best - paul
www.tyres-online gives you all the help you'll need on this one.
Re: tyres best - Mike H
Yes, but remember that tyres-online is pretty out of date - lots of tests are from 1999 (at least, they were last time I looked). Also, the Conti Eco-contacts are generally reckoned to be very noisy - but I guess it depends on the car to some extent. I have a Saab 9-5 and I can't wait for them to wear out so I can hear the radio again. Michelin Primacy Pilots are generally reckoned to be pretty quiet, I shall be going for them next.
Re: tyres best - David Withers
Mike,

I agree that the noise must depend to some extent on the car. I have Conti-Ecos fitted to my BMW 525 and thought they seemed quiet, though I hadn't compared them with others. When I fitted the spare wheel which carries a Dunlop tyre this seemed a lot noisier.

I have favoured the various Goodyears in the past, such as the Grand Prix S and, later, NCT Eagles, for their combination of grip, low wear and quietness. I will soon need to replace the tyres on the BMW but will probably stay with Conti-Ecos since they obviously suit the car and seem to have a very low wear rate. There may be better tyres around but I prefer not to experiment in view of the expense.

David.
Contis. - David W
David,

I'd go with that. Contis are mostly reviewed/tested as above average in every respect, they might not make the cutting edge spot but well worth keeping to if you are happy.

It is gutting to pay out £200 - £300 for replacement tyres on a larger car to find there is some aspect of their performance you don't like. The wait to wear them out in private use might be longer than you would keep the car.

David
Re: tyres best - RogerL
Iv'e got Michelin Energy XH1 on my Astra and I can't wait for all of them to wear out because they are so noisy. It won't take long because they're wearing much faster than previous tyres, so much for Michelin longevity.