What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Germans still the best? - school boy
Hi
I have noticed recently that fords have been highly recommended in recent years and popularity seems to be higher than many traditional "executive" cars and that the traditional prestige car such as Mercs and BMs have not done too well in opinions, is this true?
Thanks Schoolboy.
Germans still the best? - Adam {P}
It depends who you speak to. They appeal to different markets.

Chances are I'm never going to be able to afford a BMW or Merc but will very likely own another Ford.

Similarly, Pugugly will never own a Ford ever because he's loaded and can afford brand new 5 series BM's.

Germans still the best? - barchettaman
Simon, the German standards have been slipping, but the badge has a certain prestige. I know, I bought a Fiat.
Germans still the best? - Lud
My Ford's a German, and I must say I have no complaints about the old beer and sausage guzzler.
Germans still the best? - Aprilia
It depends who you speak to. They appeal to different markets.
Chances are I'm never going to be able to afford a
BMW or Merc but will very likely own another Ford.
Similarly, Pugugly will never own a Ford ever because he's loaded
and can afford brand new 5 series BM's.

Doesn't always work that way. For many years I have bough, sold and run Mercs and the odd BM. I currently have a 2002 Merc C-class on the drive that I'm about to sell (bought at auction with the intention of selling at about £2k profit). I would be quite happy with a 2.0i Mondeo as an alternative for my own use. My daily car is a '98 Nissan QX that has never ever given me the slightest trouble. It is exactly as it came out of the factory, apart from fluids, filters and a set of front brake pads. It doesn't ride or handle as well as the Merc (or a Mondeo) - but its as quiet as either and effortless to cruise about locally in.
Nothing wrong with any of the German cars, just be wary of paying too much for a badge. Late model used Mondeo's are staggeringly good cars for the money and IMHO every bit as acceptable as a C-class in the smaller engine size. You can get a 6-month-old Mondeo for one third the price of the equivalent Merc. and stick the difference in the building society (or, more likely, not have to borrow it in the first place!). The gap between 'premium' and 'mid range' cars has narrowed a heck of a lot in recent years.
Germans still the best? - Pugugly {P}
Never say never - saw one of them ST Focii (ASBO) the other day lovely looking motor...........
Germans still the best? - Martin Sweeney
As Adam says, different markets and more importantly different starting points. Mainstream models are generally more popular than executive models, just as Sony will sell more Walkman players than Naim will sell preamps; there isn't the relationship between the trends that you seem to suggest. While there are some styling issues, Ford, MB and BMW are all currently producing good products and so IMO, your premise isn't really true.
Germans still the best? - Collos25
A friend here in Germany has a new E class lovely looking car but likes the main agents company better than his whereas our workhorse of an XM now with over 300k has been in the workshop just once in 4 years(head Gasget) apart from regular oil chnges and brake pads.Although C class and 3 series are third and fourth top selling cars in Germany they are well down the list when it comes to reliability in 2005 Ford came top with Toyota second.
Germans still the best? - machika
A friend here in Germany has a new E class
lovely looking car but likes the main agents company better than
his whereas our workhorse of an XM now with over 300k
has been in the workshop just once in 4 years(head Gasget)
apart from regular oil chnges and brake pads.Although C class and
3 series are third and fourth top selling cars in Germany
they are well down the list when it comes to reliability
in 2005 Ford came top with Toyota second.

Of course, your experience with your XM is out of the ordinary and proves absolutely nothing, as many people in this forum would only be too ready to tell you.
Andy,

Your friend's experience with his XM is completely out of the ordinary and proves nothing.
Andy,
Your friend's experience with his XM is completely out of the
ordinary and proves nothing.

Adam and Machika: why is it that people who have had bad examples of cars, or failed to get them sorted out, or whose friends have done these things, are always so keen to emphasise what awful cars they are? Reminds me a bit of the way people go on about non-VW Skodas. Obviously the XM was a bit too advanced for its drivers and more importantly, manufacturers. But why do you scold someone for having a good one and not messing it up?
I've never once owned a Citroen. I just said that because I know machika loves them and I know it winds him up ;-o
Citroens design can be good but the build quality is rubbish, we've had two; a Xara and a C5.
Germans still the best? - Dynamic Dave
Citroens design can be good but the build quality is rubbish,
we've had two; a Xara and a C5.

You can hardly claim the build quality is rubbish when you've only ever owned two Citroens. Not a great deal of evidence to go on is it?
Well how many do you want, you can't say oh I've only had two, both crap, lets get another.

Well how many do you want, you can't say oh I've only had two, both crap, lets get another.

Previous pool vehicles at work consisted of 5 Xsara's, a Berlingo Van, and 2 or 3 Picasso's. Given the amount of abuse they had, coupled with umpteen different drivers using them, very little ever went wrong with them. Poor build quality? I would have said the opposite, given the conditions these vehicles were put under.

The 2 Citroens you had may have been of poor build quality, but that doesn't mean to say you can tarnish all Citroen's with the same brush.
Did you buy them new or used, as ours were used had done 11000 miles but were from a approved dealer and were approved cars. We noticed that the trim was falling off after a month and that there were gaps between the back lights and they were filling up with water on the C5 where a cover was missing. On the Xara one of the indicators packed up. I wouldnt mind a new C5 but dont dare try it.
They were all leased, and were new upon arrival. They all covered varying mileages. Anything from 20k to 80k. I *think* one of the Xsara's was nearing 100k at the end of the lease.
Dont get me wrong, I liked the C5 very much, mabey it was the garage which was to blame. The Xara was just wierd, it was like herbie, did something different everytime you tried to lock it. Probably the electrics but would have been ok if it had the bigger engine, the 1.4 struggled. I don't know why people dobnt just get the 1.6 as its quicker and fuel consumption is only slightly more and its not vastly diffferent in price. It's just a bit small and you hit your head when getting in and out. The owners manial was also lacking in detail as it would tell you about what you wanted to know but not the important bit such as where to fill things up to.
I've never once owned a Citroen. I just said that because
I know machika loves them and I know it winds him
up ;-o

Well Adam, you didn't wind me up this time.
>> Andy,
>>
>> Your friend's experience with his XM is completely out of
the
>> ordinary and proves nothing.
>>
>>
Adam and Machika: why is it that people who have had
bad examples of cars, or failed to get them sorted out,
or whose friends have done these things, are always so keen
to emphasise what awful cars they are? Reminds me a bit
of the way people go on about non-VW Skodas. Obviously the
XM was a bit too advanced for its drivers and more
importantly, manufacturers. But why do you scold someone for having a
good one and not messing it up?

I wasn't scolding him at all, as anyone who knows my opinion of Citroens would confirm, and I have never emphasised how bad they are (or in fact any other car). In fact, I do just the opposite with Citroens. However, even really good Citroens, like the Xantia, are generally rubbished in this forum.

So what I said was very tongue in cheek and I was only repeating what has been said about anecdotal evidence of Citroens before, i.e. it is not statistically relevant.
Germans still the best? - drbe
they are well down the list when it comes to reliability
in 2005 Ford came top with Toyota second.

>>

Whose list?
Germans still the best? - cheddar
just as Sony will sell more Walkman players than Naim will sell preamps;>>

That is rather like comparing a moped with an S-Class.

>>there isn't the relationship between the trends that you seem to suggest. While there are some styling issues, Ford, MB and BMW are all currently producing good products and so IMO, your premise isn't really true.

You are clearly correct in that all major manufacturers are producing good products however I think the OP's point relates to reputation and there is no doubt that Ford's reputation has been on the up lately and VW/Audi amd MB's has been on the down, this is supported by customer satisfaction surveys. Afterall they are not polarised in the market VW/Audi and even Mercedes produce cars well below £20k even though they also produce cars that cost 4 times as much as the most expensive Ford (GT40 excepted).
How many RHD BD's or Beemers are made in Germany not a lot I would hazard a guess.68%of DB car production in Germany is A class and C class and they are not much more in price than the equivlent Ford or Opel and probably have less street cred why we look at them as something special in the UK amazes me.
As I pointed out, the key is the starting point and at this point in time MB and BMW have been knocked off their pedestals largely by a Japanese industry which has raised the game in respect of reliability and service. Ford has also improved it's game, but from a low starting point. I'm no big fan of MB but they've seen the writing on the wall and already they have turned the product around and shaken out their service. The OP didn't mention VAG and VW and Audi are seperate groups who score seperately on these services. I'm fairly sceptical of these surveys as I've heard horror stories with people saying "never again" in repect of every brand but FWIW Audi, VW and indeed BMW scored 13,21 and 10 in Top Gear's 2005 survey, Ford came in at 25.

I'm happy to be corrected but SUVs aside, I'm pretty sure that all of RHD BMWs, E and S class are built in Germany. I don't think anybody who knows cars thinks that the A and C class are hugely special.
I'm happy to be corrected but SUVs aside, I'm pretty sure
that all of RHD BMWs, E and S class are built
in Germany. I don't think anybody who knows cars thinks that
the A and C class are hugely special.

I am entirely sure either though I believe that some 3 Series and C and E-Class saloons are made in SA, certainly about 5 years ago it was said that German made C-Class estates were better made than their SA saloon counterparts.
PS: I defy anyone to suggest that a C55 estate is not special.
Not for the money they want for them compared to the new small cadillac which replaces the omega.Nice to have that sort of money but I would not waste it on a C55
Germans still the best? - Roly93
I still think so..
Okay Mercedes have lost the plot in the last few years, but the build-quality of Audi and BMW is still significantly better than the more mass produces marques. I have an Audi, and tend to take it for granted, ie no rattles squeaks or looseness, until the times when I drive a hire car or even my wifes Focus.
Now I'm not saying Fords are bad in fact the opposite, but you get what you pay for in a car, and if you pay the premium for a german marque you get that extra solidity.
I almost envy people who aren't fussed about build quality, as they can save themselves 10,000's over the years !
An Audi is hardly a premium car though is it? Certainly not premium as in Mercedes or BMW.

I see what you're saying Aprilia but you appreciate and understand how good a QX is whereas the average scmuck probably could even tell you who made it. (As an aside, the rear is a dead ringer for the mark 1 Lexus GS don't you think?!)

Even you had a 7 series for a (albeit brief) time didn't you?

No way I'd be able to afford one of those.
Even you had a 7 series for a (albeit brief) time
didn't you?
No way I'd be able to afford one of those.

Yes, I used to run a garage with my father and I guess one of the things that goes with the job is getting your hands on all sorts of cars. I did have a nearly-new 7-series about 5 years ago. It was possibly the most disappointing and troublesome 'newish' car I've ever had and this was coupled with extreme problems with the dealer. I've also owned various other BMW's for short periods, such as a 2002 (many years ago!) and an E34 5-series. Other German cars included a VW Scirroco GTi in the '80's plus an Audi 80. The 80 was a good car and IMHO better than the A4 which went 'wrong' by having that uneccearily complicated front suspension. Also had many Mercs, of course, including S-class.

Its a pity Nissan stopped bringing in the Maxima QX (A33 series). The very latest are apparently very good. Similarly the late model Toyota Camry was a great car IMHO. The is talk of Nissan bringing the Infiniti brand to UK, which would be a good thing.

I think the main problem with the German brands is their marketing. They're all cleverly marketed to appeal to British arrogance and snob mentality - this seems to rub off on their dealers, and the owners. Remember the Merc advert , "The only car with built-in right-of-way"? Personally, what I'm after is a reliable well-engineered large car without the cost and baggage of so-called 'prestige'. These days I keep as much of money as possible for enjoying long holidays with the family and not working when the kids are off school. I'd rather spend it on this than on some fast depreciating piece of tin sitting on the drive to impress the neighbours.
For 'fun' I have a Skyline GT-R which cost well under £10k and gets to 60mph in about 4 seconds.
I know sometimes I have a bit of a go at you for your staunch defence of Japanese cars but I think on this one I am actually in agreement with you. That Lexus I had for a matter of hours (!) went some way to showing me how well built "other" cars can be so I've actively paid attention and actively researched big Japanese cars with a hope of possibly getting one in the future.

There's a S plate QX at Uni and it looks immaculate and in a funny kind of way, look quite executive. At least you know you're getting good quality when you buy Nissan/Toyota etc.

Bringing this back to Mercedes, my Dad for a few weeks drove a 04 plate E class 320. The left Xenon headlight had completely melted the polycarbonate lense so it looked pink and pretty disgusting. The paint unneath had also flaked off showing the plastic on the bumper. And when I say flaked off - I mean compeltely shed the paint so you could see a perfectly smooth unpainted bumper.

There was another problem with a diesel pump on that one. The other one had to replace it had a leak somewhere too.

Don't get me wrong - I could put up with those problems if he got to keep it rather than his 626 (which I and he hates) but when you consider these model E classes were over 30 grand new, you wouldn't be too happy if it was your money would you.

His Mazda incidentally has had no problems whatsoever bar a rear brake caliper sticking which I believe is a common problem.

>.For 'fun' I have a Skyline GT-R which cost well under £10k and gets to 60mph in about 4 seconds.<<

You kept that quiet. Very quiet!
I didn't buy the QX for its looks or handling. I bought it because its roomy (three tall kids), very large boot and is reliable. It was originally bought as a 'stop gap' car till I sorted out another Merc - but I've grown to like it and intend to keep it for the long term. It sits outside in the yard all the time and I just jump in, start up and put it in 'D'. If I replace it I may get a Suby Legacy - I driven a few and really rate them.

If I wanted I could pull some cash out and buy pretty much anthing up to £50-60k - but what a waste of money that would be! I guess after all these years I've got it out of my system.
An Audi is hardly a premium car though is it? Certainly
not premium as in Mercedes or BMW.

Audi are competing head to head with BMW, and if you look at the pricing of comparable models you will see what I mean. In fact a lot of the trade press say that Audi build quality is best in class. If Audi is not a premium brand then what is it ? I think Audi's marketing department would be very foolish to be competining in a non-premium sector but with premium product pricing.
Demographically the type of people that buy Audi is different to those that buy BMW addmitedly, as BMW have an aggressive image whilst Audi have a quiet, considered and understated quality image.
To quote Clarkson when he compared the BMW M3 and Audi S4 (directly competing models) "the BMW is like an Ibiza beach barbeque, whilst the Audi is like a civilised dinner party !).
Ahh hold on a minute.

"Audi are competing head to head with BMW, and if you look at the pricing of comparable models you will see what I mean."

To be fair, that doesn't really mean much. Ford charge 25 grand for a top spec 2.0 Focus but it doesn't mean people are going to pay it.

I'll grant you that they're at a higher level than Ford/Vauxhall etc but I don't think they're on a par with BMW. Despite being a prestige car, you still have to pay shedloads to get a decent spec. It's the same with Volkswagen too.

I'm still not convinced about Audi build quality. My mate's TT dashpod has packed up claiming he always has half a tank of juice, and my mate's boss had an A6 not 2 years old with a load of problems to the point where he got rid and bought a C class.

Granted these are a very small sample and both cars are over 2 years old so like I said, things could very well have moved on but these aren't the only relatively modern Audis with problems that I've heard about.

I'd still have a nice RS6 though ;-)
To be fair, that doesn't really mean much. Ford charge 25
grand for a top spec 2.0 Focus but it doesn't mean
people are going to pay it.
I'll grant you that they're at a higher level than Ford/Vauxhall
etc but I don't think they're on a par with BMW.
Despite being a prestige car, you still have to pay shedloads
to get a decent spec. It's the same with Volkswagen too.
I'm still not convinced about Audi build quality. My mate's TT
dashpod has packed up claiming he always has half a tank
of juice, and my mate's boss had an A6 not 2
years old with a load of problems to the point where
he got rid and bought a C class.
Granted these are a very small sample and both cars are
over 2 years old so like I said, things could very
well have moved on but these aren't the only relatively modern
Audis with problems that I've heard about.

I think personal preferences are creeping into the argument here, so I will say that I have had several BMWs and Audi's and would say each has equal merits in different areas. BMW are just as bad as Audi for needing loads of costly extras to get a decent spec I think, I would also say that I have had no real problems with either marque I have owned. Ford/Vauxhall pricing for high spec cars is largely a fantasy on the part of the dealers, whereas on the prsetige marques it is a reality which is reflected in the residual values.
The fact is I wouldn't discount buying another BMW but as I'm now an old and boring family man, the Audi suits my needs a bit better, as I'm not looking for pin-sharp driving dynamics.
Germans still the best? - Cardew
Are we not getting a little confused here. The Audi is a Badge engineered VW.

I am not saying Audi make poor cars but if they are a 'prestige' car then so are VW, Skoda and Seat.

It is no different to the days when the Mini/1100 BMC cars were marketed as MG, Riley, Wolesley etc.
That's the point I was trying to get across but failing miserably.

Cardew put it a lot more coherently than I did.
I do not agree as there is only one mabey audi that is a audi badged VW
IIRC Audi is a subsidiary of VW with it's own engineers, designers and production and I can't think of a VW, Skoda or Seat which uses a current Audi floorpan. So I don't see how Audi is a badge engineered VW or how Seat and Skoda would by the fact of being VW subsiduary take on the qualities of Audi. There is a degree of commonality with fittings, switchgear and some engines but with that logic then the shine rather comes off Lexus as it's just a Toyota or Range Rover, Jaguar and Aston as they're no more than Badge engineered Fords. Following this line why buy a Jag or an Aston when it's essentially no different to a Mazda?

Considering the current range of cars being produced by Audi,MB, BMW and Jaguar I think very few marques are properly prestigious, individual models like the XJ, A8, S class and 7 series certainly but not the brand.
Germans still the best? - Cardew
Considering the current range of cars being produced by Audi,MB, BMW and Jaguar I think very few marques are properly prestigious, individual models like the XJ, A8, S class and 7 series certainly but not the brand.

>>

I think that sums it up perfectly.

The W12 Phaeton might also get prestigious status but not the Polo 1.0!!
Audi are competing head to head with BMW, and if you
look at the pricing of comparable models you will see what
I mean. In fact a lot of the trade press say
that Audi build quality is best in class. >>

Perhaps so though they are often let down by dynamics and refinement. An A3 or A4 may be hewn out of solid granite though, for instance, the 2.0 TDi (yet alone the 1.9) is not a patch on a 120d, 320d or TDCi in terms of mechanical refinment nor are they as rewarding to drive.

Clearly the 6 cyl A6s are a different matter altogether though they have to compete head on with 530ds and E320s, tough competition.
I still think so..
Okay Mercedes have lost the plot in the last few years,
but the build-quality of Audi and BMW is still significantly better
than the more mass produces marques. I have an Audi, and
tend to take it for granted, ie no rattles squeaks or
looseness, until the times when I drive a hire car or
even my wifes Focus.

No squeaks or rattles in our almost 12 year old Xantia either. What does that say about its build quality?
Germans still the best? - Waino
No squeaks or rattles in our almost 12 year old Xantia
either. What does that say about its build quality?

Does it mean that everything that can rattle/squeak has rusted firmly in place, or has fallen off???
>> No squeaks or rattles in our almost 12 year old
Xantia
>> either. What does that say about its build quality?
>>
Does it mean that everything that can rattle/squeak has rusted firmly
in place, or has fallen off???

Thats a bit cruel but probably true !!
>>
>> >> No squeaks or rattles in our almost 12 year
old
>> Xantia
>> >> either. What does that say about its build
quality?
>> >>
>>
>> Does it mean that everything that can rattle/squeak has rusted
firmly
>> in place, or has fallen off???
>>
Thats a bit cruel but probably true !!

>>

It is nowhere near the truth actually. I have said it before, in this forum, Xantias are not prone to corrosion, nor has anything ever fallen off. The build quality of these cars is exemplary. Very little has been replaced from new. The only major item to be replaced was the hydraulic pump.

The only things that people in this forum believe about French cars are the bad things that are said about them.
Germans still the best? - barchettaman
Well, the C5 let Citroen down a wee bit - for the first few years at least. Many a Xantia owner regretted changing to an early C5.
But the new C6 looks like a step in the right direction.
Well, the C5 let Citroen down a wee bit - for
the first few years at least. Many a Xantia owner regretted
changing to an early C5.
But the new C6 looks like a step in the right
direction.

Well, Citroen did make a mess of the early C5s, of which ours is one example. A lot of people got fed up with all of the faults and recalls, and got rid of them, which is quite understandable. However, ours has not caused any significant problems in the 3 years we have had it.

The one area where the Xantia is superior is in its handling but, in every other respect, the C5 is a much better car. Much more leg room in the front, much better seats and equipment levels on even the basic models. I would have said the Xantia is a much better looking car too but the restyled C5 is a very attractive looking car, to my eyes.
What was that big problem with the axle on the C5s?

This might surprise you but despite my anti-French ramblings, I think the C5 is a nice looking car - well - as long as it's not in C5 Blue!

The new one is even better.
What was that big problem with the axle on the C5s?
This might surprise you but despite my anti-French ramblings, I think
the C5 is a nice looking car - well - as
long as it's not in C5 Blue!
The new one is even better.

The problem with the axle beam (caused by a manufacturing fault, so I am led to believe) was that it caused uneven wear on the rear tyres. The tyres on our car wore about 3 mm more on the outside edge. It's a bit early to say if the new axle beam has cured the uneven wear but it did result in a quieter rear suspension.

Citroen did themselves no favours by failing to make this fault the subject of a recall. The dealer I dealt with was, initially, totally unhelpful and I have no doubt that there are a lot of C5s out there with this fault. Anyone buying a used C5 would do well to check for uneven wear on the rear tyres.
Germans still the best? - mjm
My Xantia is 7 years old, no squeaks or rattles either. Nothing's rusted into place everything's still on it, and it all works, so there!
Germans still the best? - bradgate
Now I'm not saying Fords are bad in fact the opposite,
but you get what you pay for in a car, and
if you pay the premium for a german marque you get
that extra solidity.

Fifteen years ago I would have agreed with you completely. There was simply no comparison between, for example a Mercedes 190 and a Sierra.

In my experience, things have changed very considerably in recent years. I regularly drive a variety of mid-range cars, both premium and non-premium brands. The overall gap between a C-class or A4 and a Mondeo is small. The Mondeo is significantly better to drive, the Germans counter with posher interiors. The Accord comes very close to matching the Gemans in all respects.

The reality is that people who buy mainstream C-class, A4 or 3-seies in preference to Mondeos and Accords (in particular) are spending several thousand pounds on a badge, and some feelgood factor.

Germans still the best? - Xileno {P}
The fact is that the UK car market has, is and always will be driven by snobbery. The Germans have been hugely successful in their marketing. Whether the cars are better or not isn't the issue for the vast majority of buyers for whom this is important.

Now come on, admit it - what would you really rather have on your drive? Mondeo or 3 Series?
Germans still the best? - former farmer
Fair point I guess.

Having previously run Fords, Sierra then a couple of Mondeos and now driving a 3 series, I am of the opinion that with the German makes you pay lot more for a bit more.
Germans still the best? - peterb
The gap between "exec" cars and decent middle market cars has certainly narrowed in the 8 years I've been driving.

Over the last few months, I've test driven: X-Type, A4, IS250, S40 and 9-3 - all well-regarded cars from the "small exec" area. But the gap to the C-Max and 307 hire cars I've had has been pretty small. My new car will be a Lexus, but if it was taken away and I was given a C-Max, I'd get over the dissappointment pretty quickly.
Germans still the best? - tyro
Now come on, admit it - what would you really rather
have on your drive? Mondeo or 3 Series?

Berlingo!

(In fact, just about anything other than a 3 series. I come from a family of inverse snobs. If I had to have a 3 series, I'd need a paper bag with a couple of holes in it.)
Germans still the best? - jase1
> I am of the opinion that with the German makes you pay lot more for a bit more.

Totally agree.

The difference between a Focus and a BMW 1-series is tiny considering the extra money you pay. Even more so the Accord vs 3 Series.

I think the differences are mainly just down to time.

Every manufacturer is improving constantly. The Germans have not got much better in the last ten years as they were already very good. Ford, Honda, Toyota have mostly caught up with Audi, BMW etc and the difference is narrowing all the time -- diminishing returns.

As an aside, folks criticise the cheap interiors of the cheaper Japanese cars (some smaller Nissans, Daihatsu etc) and the Koreans, but if you look at these cars objectively, all they are are a little bit behind the times. A 1995 Ford Escort is equally cheap and plasticky. It won't be too long before the interiors of these cars have caught up with the mid-range suppliers now.

The market for the German cars seems to be more and more one of snobbery, especially when an Audi is essentially no different to a Skoda.
Audi and Skoda are fine cars and it?s a good example of how previously undesirable brands have raised the game and are closing the gap on the sector above. I?ve driven both extensively, but it?s kind of meaningless to say that an Audi is essentially the same as a Skoda. Do you see the Superb as the A8, the Octavia as the A6 and the Fabia as the A4? Have you driven these cars Jase?
Now come on, admit it - what would you really rather
have on your drive? Mondeo or 3 Series?

>>

At the same price point I would certainly rather have a fully loaded 2.2 155 Ghia X or ST TDCi than a basic 318d or an ST220 rather than a 318i SE.
Neither the Mondeo?s 2 litre tdci nor the 2.0tdi are as refined or powerful as the 320d. The refinement of the VAG unit varies considerably depending upon the vehicle it?s installed in, and I have to say particularly in the A6 and the new Passat the refinement is impressive. Overall I would say that the Ford and The VAG engines are on a par in this regard, though the VAG unit is clearly the more powerful unit and feels faster on the road.

There are few, if any, terrible new cars and as the tide has risen so the leap from the Passat/Mondeo/Vectra sector to the so-called compact exec sector is not large and that it comes down to details, engine ability, refinement and build quality. If you test drive the car and those differences are worth it to you, then you?ll happily pay, if not then buy something else, but above it all be content with your choice.
Neither the Mondeo?s 2 litre tdci nor the 2.0tdi are as
refined or powerful as the 320d. The refinement of the VAG
unit varies considerably depending upon the vehicle it?s installed in, and I have to say particularly in the A6 and the new Passat the refinement is impressive. Overall I would say that the Ford and The VAG engines are on a par in this
regard, though the VAG unit is clearly the more powerful unit
and feels faster on the road.

This is not my experience I find the 320d impressively powerful and refined though it feels distinctly less gutsy below 2000 rpm than my 2002 Mondeo TDCi that has over 100k on the clock, nor does it idle as smoothly and quietly as the Mondeo. With regard to the 2.0 TDi while it pulls well as it revs it is neither as torquey, quiet or refined as the Mondeo and I have experience of it in an A4 and a Golf. As for the 2.2 Mondeo, it is in a different league.
My experience shows that you're incorrect in your perception regarding both the 320d and the 2.0tdi, and rolling road figures would confirm that the VAG unit is the more powerful and torquey. That said I reckon we'll agree to disagree.
You have to be joking ,Uptill recently we hired on a regular basis in Germany and we always ask for Ford and only take BMW as a last choice they are all badge and no content.The Ford had more room performed better was more economical.Not rubbish but way overpriced.
Germans still the best? - bradgate
The fact is that the UK car market has, is and always will be driven by snobbery. The Germans have been hugely successful in their marketing. Whether the cars are better or not
isn't the issue for the vast majority of buyers for whom
this is important.

Agree completely. Some enthusiast types in this market do choose the 3-series specifically for the RWD driving experience, but for the majority it's about brand, image and status, and the rest is irrelevant.
Germans still the best? - cdb
Agree completely re the marketing and snobbery but not the comment that Audi is not a ?premium? brand whereas Merc and BMW are. I think market research will show people view all 3 as premium brands. As has been pointed out, the market is different ? BMW loud, look at me, Audi understated class.

When I purchased last year, amongst others I looked at the Merc C and Audi, not a BMW because of the ?perceived? image. The interior of the Merc was quite poor in relation to the Audi in terms of look, feel and materials. I think Merc lose a certain amount of their market through the perception that Merc manuals are awful and undesirable and you have to fork out £1500 plus for the auto whether you like it or not to cover your resale value.

In the end I purchased a new Audi, the car is beautifully designed and looks fantastic and is nice to drive. However, I have already had quite a few problems with it that have been resolved. I expected to only visit the dealer for services, not in between early on in its life. Outstanding at the moment I have an oil leak, noisy exhaust, electrical fault in the lighting, petrol filler flap that won?t open automatically and a few rattles.

The feeling these days seems that if you want the least hassle, buy Japanese
Germans still the best? - mrmender
A German i worked with summed up how the Germans perceive their cars
MB's Taxi's
BMW Reps car
VW like we think of Ford or Vauxhall
Audi the thinking mans choice
Not my thoughts, but always sicks in my mind whenever i get into a taxi on the continent
A German i worked with summed up how the Germans perceive
their cars
MB's Taxi's
BMW Reps car
VW like we think of Ford or Vauxhall
Audi the thinking mans choice
Not my thoughts, but always sicks in my mind whenever i
get into a taxi on the continent

Having worked for many years for a German Company and spent a of time over there I could add:

Jaguar - Classy
Having worked for many years for a German Company and spent
a of time over there I could add:
Jaguar - Classy

The German's don't go for class then because you certainly don't see many Jags over there...
>>
>> Having worked for many years for a German Company and
spent
>> a of time over there I could add:
>>
>> Jaguar - Classy
>>
>>
The German's don't go for class then because you certainly don't
see many Jags over there...

Too expensive though still classy .... as they say in Germany.
And according to a Rover ad when Rover existed and had ads,

Rover - schnell
Germans still the best? - Avant
"The fact is that the UK car market has, is and always will be driven by snobbery."

Maybe it is, but then so is the used car market. I agree that (say) a Mondeo is in many ways as good as a VW or an Audi, but a fully-loaded one costs almost as much and doesn't hold its value nearly as well.

That's why some of us have Audis, and I can only say, touching wood once more, that mine has been totally reliable so far, as was the Gold estate before it (and in fairness the 7 consecutive Renaults before that).
Not sure about this Audi = 'premium brand' business. Premium is more than skin deep in my book. Given the for a particular VAG platform produced by Audi, VW, Skoda, SEAT about 80% of the part number are the same I would say they are all pretty much the same under the skin.

I am puzzled too by VAG choosing to put the 'Audi snout' on the new VW's - it kind of muddies the brand image a bit IMHO.
Germans still the best? - Martin Devon
Astons have used Ford engines and switchgear and Jags have shared floorpans and switchgear with Fords and Lincolns, so being the same under the skin as a Ford Jags and Aston clearly can't be premium brands. Apparently there is clearly identifiable switchgear in the Lamborghini Gallardo, the engine is Audi and Cosworth(a subsidiary of Audi) and the aluminium body is made by Audi. So clearly not a prestigious car then. Similarly the Veyron has tell-tale signs of ownership so by this reasoning it's essentially a Golf GTi.

For reasons outlined above, I think that this premium brand business is nonsense and clouds whatever point the OP and it's supporters are trying to make.

And as I've asked above, with them all being the same under the skin which current Audi chassis is VW, Seat and Skoda using and which model would I get my 2.7tdi or a 3.0tdi in?
Germans still the best? - DavidHM
Martin Sweeney:

A3 = Golf/Octavia/Leon
TT = Old Golf/Octavia/Leon

1.6 and 1.6FSi, 2.0 petrol, 2.0T FSi and 1.9 and 2.0 turbo diesels are also shared, as are the 3.2 FSi (I think).

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2.7 or 3.0 TDi in the Passat at some stage, but not yet. Something like 60% of all Audis sold in the UK now have the 2.0 TDi engine in any case, as found in the Octavia, etc. and in the same state of tune.

The current A4 predates the platform used in the Golf/Jetta/Passat and I don't know what its replacement will use; I imagine either a shortened A6 platform or a lengthened Golf one.

Admittedly apart from the engines there is not much crossover between the A6 and A8 and VWs if you ignore the Phaeton - but that's mainly down to size rather than a deliberate engineering or marketing decision. Presuming that the 3.2 FSi is shared, you can get an A8, Touareg or even Porsche Cayenne with the same engine as a Golf - and there's only about £10k price spread between them.
Germans still the best? - alapppy
Well here's one for you after driving Mercs for 20 years I decided for a change to buy new Lexus IS250 One month old..full of rattles They have removed the dash and reported a poor fit NOw both front door panels need to be removed as well.
Other owners have had front seat belts fail after a few months

Never had that with my Mercs!
Alan
As you rightly say the TT and the A3 use modified VW floorpans. However, to address the statement that an Audi is essentially a VW,Skoda or Seat my question was which oe of these other brands is using an Audi floorpan? I can?t see any. And indeed, aside from these 2 models, the A8, A6, A4 and A2 currently use Audi exclusive floorpans and to a varying extent exclusive engines.

Sure, with some notable exceptions exclusive to Audi, there is sharing of engines such as the 2.0tdi and platforms, just as you get with Ford, PSA, GM and DC. Does this mean that an Aston or a Jag is essentially just a Ford or a Mercedes just a Chrysler?

The 3.2 in the Golf is a modified version of the former R32 and not the same as the 3.2fsi. IIRC the superb Duractec 30 from the ST220 powers some very pricey and some would say ?prestigious? vehicles with considerably more than a £10k price spread from the ST220.
The fast audi tt's made in Spain by seat and the slow ones made in Hungary
Germans still the best? - Chad.R
....Lamborghini Gallardo, the engine is Audi and Cosworth (a subsidiary of Audi).....

Apparently the new Audi S8 is going to get a (tuned down) version of the same V10 as in the Gallardo.

Does anyone know the name of the company that restores and modernises the jaguar XJS? One of their cars was on Top Gear a while ago and driven by James May.
Germans still the best? - caesar
Cars are built world wide nowdays.
Do car's come better built when there home produced.
example vag cars built in germany!!.
japanese built in the errrh japan?
Probalbly not but they must have higher standards. For example toyota have a plant in France and their build quality is good whereas Citroen's is not.
So, the build quality of all Citroen cars is not good? Talk about using a broad brush.
See above.
See above.

See what above?
Near the top I have writen about the problems we have had with ours.
Near the top I have writen about the problems we have
had with ours.

I can't comment about the Xsara's build quality, except to say I have friends who have one, and they haven't any complaints about it. My own opinion is that it looks dated inside and the styling was a failure. Someone tried to transfer the look of the Xantia into a smaller package but it didn't work.

We have now had our C5 for 3 years, after the original owner gave up on it owing to the recalls and we are very pleased with it. The quality of the interior is on a par with anything in the class and it is lot brighter and more cheerful than most of the grey/black interiors that are to be found in a lot of competition. The seats, in particular, are first rate, both front and back. The diesel engines are also first rate.

The real issue with the C5 is that it was launched without being properly sorted out, for which Citroen can't be excused.
I made a point a little further up about 'shared components'. Obviously some people have difficulty in interpreting written information. The point was not that Audi/SEAT/VW/Skoda share **some** components - it was that they share **so many**. A vast number of parts are shared between VAG cars. It is mainly the trim and panels that are different.
The platform cores are also shared - but mounting points, bracketry etc are altered. I have an Automotive World somewhere which shows all platforms and which models they are used on.

Really, I don't care whether Audi etc are 'premium' or not. The way people cling to these things is pretty pathetic.

As for a Jag X-type being basically a Ford - well, yes it is. And if you have the 2WD model then save a few bob when getting it serviced and take it to the Ford dealer - they will have no problems recognising the bits.
There is a plant in Hungary run by Pas which builds Toyota ,citroen and pugs .So how can there be a differnce in build quality they have same engines ,bodies and are built by the same robots .As a matter of interest where in France is Toyotas dedicated plant and what do they make because the small cars are made in Hungary and the large in the UK.
Germans still the best? - Chad.R
I think Toyota's french factory is in Valenciennes, where they make (or at least made) the Yaris, which was also built in Japan too.
THe Yaris is now made in Hungary
You are correct just looked it up on Google Yaris and engines both diesel and petrol in very large quantities .Plus Yaris in Turkey and a new small car plant in the Czech Republic with PSA.
Germans still the best? - Roger Jones
Having just read a post in the MB Club from an owner who says "anything newer than 1997 is where MB's quality drops off a cliff" and knowing that corrosion has affected not only the W210 E-Class (introduced in 1996) but also various other models (including the S-Class and SLs) right up to the present, it is sad to note that MB in particular has a continuing problem,
added to which it seems to have electronics problems to the same level as some other manufacturers and some autobox problems as well. As an MB owner, this grieves me, and I'm only too glad that mine are pre-1997.

The quote above comes from the owner of a 1998 W210 E-Class estate that not only had extensive external bodywork corrosion but also "both front spring cups were highly corroded and dangerous" and a front cross member had to be replaced. Some credit to the much maligned MB dealers: they got everything fixed FOC except for the tailgate (which they deemed to have been replaced once already) on a car eight years old and with 110k on the clock. What's more, the car had been serviced by independents for two years prior to the inspection and it was originally an import from Denmark. The owner wishes me to ask how many other car companies would react so responsibly, and he has a point; there's even a report of MB UK stumping up half the cost of repair on an E-Class taxi that had been out of dealer servicing for 300+ of its 330k miles.

The reported problems do not affect every car, but do affect far too many for MB's reputation to be other than severely damaged.
Germans still the best? - caesar
anything made in france(apart from whine)seems to be!!um!!
Made with there gaelic applomb?
Germans still the best? - P 2501
Pretty sad really to hear of MB's problems. I was always told as a pimply youth that mercs were the best in the world and once aspired to own one,but not any more.
Germans still the best? - andymc {P}
"Made with there gaelic applomb?"
I believe we Irish are being damned with faint praise. Gallic aplomb, on the other hand, is a force to be reckoned with. Zut alors!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
anything made in france(apart from whine)seems to be!!um!!
Made with there gaelic applomb?

Would that be a whining frog (as in whinging pom)?
The french make fantastic blue d'Auvergne - to die for.

My cousin has had brand new Mercs for years, he runs them as his company cars. But even he has left the brand now, bought a Lexus which he reckons is better built.
'bleu d'Auvergne', can't even spell french and I've lived there for years :-(