What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CRX 1.6 engine tuning - Optimus Prime
Does anyone know if the 1.6 engine in the ESi is the same engine as the 1.6 VTi spec in the same car? I recently found out that the 1.6 ESi is actually a VTEC (I looked under the bonnet of a car for sale), and was wondering if I bought an ESi, could I get the engine remapped to upgrade it from approx. 125 bhp to the 158 bhp of the VTi. If anyone knows whether this is the same engine, and if it could be easily upgraded, then answers appreciated! Thanks.
Honda CRX 1.6 engine tuning - Happy Blue!
ESi will have a different head to the VTi.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Does that prevent the engine from being tuned up? Sorry, I'm not a car techie, so not sure how important this detail is.
The V-tec head operates camshafts which are partly operated by hydrualic valves, which move the shafts along there length. This in turn moves the cams, which have different profiles along there width and the profile affects the valve opening. At low speeds the cams operate valves at timings which are appropriate for low revs (high torque) and at high revs, the cam profile is better for high power.

The ESi head is a bog standard OHC, possibly twin cam, but OHC nevertheless and not comparable with V-tec. Yes, the ESi is capable of tuning, but you're better off buying a CRX with the V-Tec engine. I had one and it was great!

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Thanks for your help Espada III.
Would you recommend the electric roof on the CRX? I think that I would prefer a manual - less to go wrong, and a less fiddly boot.
Honda CRX 1.6 engine tuning - bell boy
i had an electric roof in my crx glass it was ,but it didnt open very far and therefore a waste of time as sunroofs go, but did put light inside the car,if you are buying with a roof open it fully make sure it is smooth then cover the mechanisms in spray copper grease as you open and shut it,it will last the life of the car then.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Honda CRX 1.6 engine tuning - blue_haddock
Oldman - i think he's refering to the later CRX's which had a targa style roof - either manual or with an electric retracting mechanism.
Yes, sorry I was referring to the hatchback CRX. The one the OP is referring to is not worth buying. Too slow and two heavy unless you get the VTec engine from day one.
--