What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Oh dear - mss1tw
Automatic Honda and a big bore exhaust.

What a lovely noise.

MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Why do automatics have to sound so...well...lame?
Oh dear - 42 years and counting ...
Is your car legal?

C&U regs have something to say about exhaust noise, as does Type Approval. Fitting a vehicle with a replacement exhaust system that emits a higher sound level than the system originally fitted by the manufacturer may well be illegal and may invalidate your insurance! You might think it sounds good but ...

You may (?) get around that by paying for an SVE test.

One other point is that the modern automatic gearbox has electronic controls and they are matched to the engine performance. Changing the exhaust will change the engine performance characteristics so that they no longer match. So it changes gear when it shouldn't, wastes fuel, pollutes the air around your car more than it needs to.
Oh dear - mss1tw
My car?!

Mines a manual diesel Peugeot! About as far away from the shotbox I was talking about as you can get!

It was just some random car I saw...
Oh dear - Tomo
Nowadays, if it's fun it's illegal!
Oh dear - Lud
Nowadays, if it's fun it's illegal!

Sssshh. Don't tell them.
Oh dear - turbo11
its not so funny when someone who lives down the road regularly wakes you up at 5am driving past with a noisy exhaust.
Oh dear - mss1tw
Didn't really mind if it was illegal or not, that's up to them.

Just wonder how they can think a car that sounds like a mating call of walrus is in some way a good thing...
Oh dear - Cardew
Just wonder how they can think a car that sounds like
a mating call of walrus is in some way a good
thing...

I like the mating call of a walrus! Don't get to hear it much in central London though - the whales frighten them off I suppose.
Oh dear - mss1tw
>> Just wonder how they can think a car that sounds
>> a mating call of walrus is in some way a
good
>> thing...
>>
I like the mating call of a walrus! Don't get to
hear it much in central London though - the whales frighten
them off I suppose.

:^D Ha ha! And with that, I'm off home!
Oh dear - tr7v8
God there are some sad anoraks on here !!!!
All he asked about was exhausts and autos, so why the question?
Type approval in the UK doesn't apply after its been manufactured. This is someone who has a TR7V8 with very little silencing, yes it can be quiet but at full chat it's damn noisy.

New cars are strangled by low drive by limits on noise, a remap of the ECU/Box ECU after a new exhaust is fitted would result in more power so likely reduced fuel consumption if the performance is not used

Oh dear - AngryJonny
In answer to the question, I guess it depends what you look for in a car's sound. Automatics don't offer the usual rising pitch and obvious gearchanges of manuals.

Personally I love the sound of an automatic gearbox as long as it's coupled to a decent sized engine. It's partly the reason I bought my Galant V6 Auto.

------
AngryJonny (was E34kid)
Oh dear - mike hannon
My Prelude VTI tiptronic with a standard exhaust sounds pretty good to me - just have to wind it up a bit. And once you hit 5,300...
Oh dear - bedfordrl
The noise my 83 Range Rover automatic makes is,well, invigorating.
Its got the same 3.5 V8 as my manual Rangie but, Oh that rumble as it pops it way through the gears.
According to the missus it's a mans thing.
The only drawback is whist you blat the loud pedal down the fuel gauge becomes distressed and has to have a lie down on the E.
Oh dear - bedfordrl
I must be a saddo replying to my own posts ,but the most exciting exhaust notes i know (other than Rover V8) is Subaru Impretza ,what a loverly noise, or the chug of a Harley Davidson.
All three i can recognise without looking up.
Oh dear - Pugugly {P}
For a number of reasons I found myself behind the wheel of a nearly new Jeep Cherokee TD Auto today. Horrid horrid gearbox.
Oh dear - bedfordrl
Friends of mine years ago had the early Cherokee and as a kid i lusted after it, all that chrome and length ,it was a beauty.
But now the new Cherokee's are horrible and are they not made in Belgium ?.
Oh dear - Lud
Ever driven an R Type Bentley with both exhausts broken off at the bottom of the down pipe? No good pretending it was a 24-litre Napier-engined hillclimber although it sounded quite like it. In the Edwardian days people used to have an exhaust cut-out diverting the exust through a side pipe in front of the silencer. Great for speeding up the horses. They had a thing called an 'exhaust whistle' too. Always wanted one of those.
Oh dear - sierraman
When I was young I used to be able to recognise various cars by the exhaust sound.The Beetle was easy,Morris 1000's made a strange,and quite loud noise on the upchange.Most modern four cyl./standard exhaust cars sound much the same to me.
Oh dear - mrmender
When I was young I used to be able to recognise
various cars by the exhaust sound.The Beetle was easy,Morris 1000's made
a strange,and quite loud noise on the upchange.Most modern four cyl./standard
exhaust cars sound much the same to me.

Yes me too MGB'S Ford V4's (used to scream i seem to remember)& Austin cambridges you could tell by the gearbox whine, side valve fords seemed to hiss when on full choke
We will be judged as either car enthusiasts or sado's!
Oh dear - David Horn
Yes me too MGB'S Ford V4's (used to scream i seem
to remember)& Austin cambridges you could tell by the gearbox whine,

I can identify my car by the gearbox whine in 3rd. :P
Oh dear - Tomo
Yes, and even sixes have not too much to say after the turbine of a turbocharger.

My one complaint against Toad the Supra, that is.
Oh dear - Pete M

> AngryJonny: Personally I love the sound of an automatic gearbox > as long as it's coupled to a decent sized engine. It's partly
> the reason I bought my Galant V6 Auto.

Galant V6 autos sound even nicer with a pair of turbochargers and the factory 2.5 inch exhaust (VR-4). You know you want one (if not the fuel bill).
Oh dear - Lud
Oh they've started making small economical ones have they?
Oh dear - Sofa Spud
I think I've grown out of any enthusiasm for sporty sounding exhausts these days because for every spitting Panoz-esqe V8 you might hear, there are a hundred loudly buzzing boy racer Saxos, Corsas, Calibras etc!!!

One sound that I do remember, and mentioned on here some time ago, was the sound of a minority of Foden heavy lorries of the 60's and early 70's, which were fitted with Foden's own FE6 supercharged 2-stroke 6-cylinder diesel engine. These could be heard from some way off and sounded something like a BMW six with no silencer. Most Fodens were fitted with grinding Gardner slow-revving engines, so these growling beasts were not that common.

The other memorable sound is that of vintage Bentley 3 litre and 4 1/2 litre models that had thumping great 4-cylinder engines.

Cheers, SS
Oh dear - frazerjp
I think the best big engine sound has got be the Cummins engine, there're a few buses round here that have them & they sound real sweet when revved at full speed, except when the cams are wearing out!

Out of car engines, it has to be BMW's V8 engine perhaps!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Oh dear - mss1tw
I thought I'd gone mad when I went to Portugal. A big coach went past and it actually sounded...very nice.
Oh dear - Lud
I thought I'd gone mad when I went to Portugal. A
big coach went past and it actually sounded...very nice.

Does no one remember the turbocharged Commer engine of the late 50s/early 60s? An opposed-piston device I believe, with six pistons working in three cylinders and the crankshaft underneath, connected to the pistons through rockers. Made a very sporting noise, instantly recognisable.
Oh dear - mrmender
Does no one remember the turbocharged Commer engine of the late
50s/early 60s? An opposed-piston device I believe, with six pistons working
in three cylinders and the crankshaft underneath, connected to the pistons
through rockers. Made a very sporting noise, instantly recognisable.

Yes the good old TS3 was maufactured by Lister for a while as a plant engine
Last time i saw one of these was in a boat. It also had a roots blower (super charger)which is where the noise came from
Oh dear - commerdriver
>> Does no one remember the turbocharged Commer engine of the
late
>> 50s/early 60s? An opposed-piston device I believe, with six pistons
working
>> in three cylinders and the crankshaft underneath, connected to the
pistons
>> through rockers. Made a very sporting noise, instantly recognisable.

For anyone going to historic car racing the ecurie ecosse transporter uses this engine, sounds as good as it looks.
Oh dear - PhilW
Great minds and all that - I mentioned the distinctive sound of this engine (TS3) a good while ago and got a good few links to info on it
see this thread
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=30150&...f
cummins also mentioned .
Try this also
www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Technical/TS3.htm

--
Phil
Oh dear - mrmender
I think the best big engine sound has got be the
Cummins engine, there're a few buses round here that have them
& they sound real sweet when revved at full speed, except
when the cams are wearing out!

Yes lots of Cummins sound unusual The N14 (6 cyl 14L) when cold tends to adjust its timing until it warms up so goes quet to loud but no difference in revs very unusual & hard to explain, unless you've experienced it