What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford mondeo 1.8lx steering noise - ajsdoc
I've noticed noise on steering either direction in my 1998 mondeo. It has power steering but never had a car with this before. The noise seems to increase with increasing revs but not when car in a straight line if you see what I mean. Any ideas what I should look for, I assume it could be power steering pump, is there anything else more simple I should check?

Regards

ajsdoc
Ford mondeo 1.8lx steering noise - elekie&a/c doctor
I think the first thing to do is check the fluid level.On this model year the reservoir is tucked up in the r/h corner (drivers side) at back near bulkhead.
Update - have had a look with torch. Reservoir completely empty. Fluid underneath car, quite far forward, the cover underneath the front of the car is covered in fluid. Trip to garage tomorrow I suppose. Is it OK to drive short distance to garage without fluid? - ie do I risk damaging pump?
Ford mondeo 1.8lx steering noise - henry k
My 98 Mondeo had a leak in the power steering fluid cooling radiator. This is located in the front of the main radiator at the bottom behind the bumper.
This is quite probably what is causing the loss of fluid.
It get on the undertray and also get fanned onto the main radiator.
You can see it if you bend down and look through the lower grill opening.
It has two flex pipes on the left. It is a single pipe with fins around it and at the right a U bend return pipe.

This is a common failure. Replacement is about £45 and is easy to fit.

I took off the bumpber so that I could get easier access.
It also enabled me to clean all the crud off the main radiator which I recommend as part of the job.

I have full details of how to remove the bumper if your intend DIY.
Thanks.

Henry k was quite right - the coolant pipe for the power steering. Apparantly v.common mondeo fault. In garage - no time to do myself.

Thanks very much for the info - it always helps to go to the garage half knowing what is wrong already!
Ford mondeo 1.8lx steering noise - henry k
Thank you for reporting back.
You can relax a little now.
Just to update. Car fixed - £90 all in, seems reasonable to me: I was expecting much worse.