What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car tax renewal - Civic8
Mate has gone on holiday,had a phone call asking if he would be ok getting his car tax on first of month.
seems he comes back 31st January after PO closes,plus his wages wont go in the bank till early hours of the first of feb,so question is,is he ok getting his tax disc when PO open risking using the car for a couple of hours before they open??
--
Steve
Car tax renewal - John S
If he's got one of the new 'computerised' MOTs, could he not do it on-line with a credit card?

JS
Car tax renewal - Civic8
>>If he's got one of the new 'computerised' MOTs, could he not do it on-line with a credit card?

aside the fact his card is slightly close to limit,it has old style mot cert.will be though in April

--
Steve
Car tax renewal - BeeBee
If it's off road, he could always SORN it and then tax it as soon as he gets back and wants to use it again.
Car tax renewal - Civic8
He is back on 31st,though not home, plane coming back lands approx 1900 hours,it appears he has to drop his kids to school before 8.45 on 1st wednesday then off to cash machine- then to PO to get the tax,
unusual for him as normaly he sorts it out beforehand

first time he has gone away at this time of year
--
Steve
Car tax renewal - JohnPug
He should be alright for the few hours before he gets the disc. It's not like he's left it a few months late.
Car tax renewal - Bromptonaut
If his current disc expires 31/1/06 he should have no problem. The automatic penalty does not kick in until the vehicle has been unlicensed with no SORN for 28 days. Fourteen days grace is a myth, but you'd be extraordinarily unlucky to be booked for untaxed (or failing to display) in the first week.
Car tax renewal - sierraman
I wonder if online renewal will lead to a revival of the old 'tax in post' note in the corner of the windscreen.
Car tax renewal - Haardvark
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I missed my tax by a couple of months this time round - just had an awful lot on and it slipped my mind. Was actually a parking attendant in London that left a nice threatening letter on my car which brought it to my attention :o)
Couldn't buy tax for the previous month as in the past, system changed blah blah, but wrote to local DVLA office and explained the situation. Got a nice letter back saying that I could send a cheque for the missing month, no problem :o)

HV
Car tax renewal - mountainkat
considering the timescale wouldn't worry too much

-- one thing to be aware of now though is the increased use of roadside cameras for detecting "no tax / M.O.T", police here in North wales can be seen nearly every day using the new cameras, lots of people getting pulled !!
Car tax renewal - NickCa
Completely by accident, late last year, drove round for 6 weeks with out of date tax. Phoned up as soon as realised, told to pay cheque to local DVLA office for missing month and to get new tax disc as usual. No fine or penalty incurred, maybe I was lucky?
Car tax renewal - Civic8
Thanks for the replys,my mate apart from sweating waiting in a line of people doing the same,got it without a problem and ran to his motor to put disc on,Just after it was put on, A DVLA van stopped some 100 yds away.a car was clamped and during yesterday 7 cars in our area have been clamped with the sign UNTAXED,Surprised at some cars, as two are less than four years old and dont look like they are dumped
--
Steve
Car tax renewal - bell boy
i was in the local dvla office today and was told by the member of staff there that the 14 days grace is now enshrined in law so if you tax your vehicle within those 14 days you have committed no offence.I therefore asked what if you get a ticket for non showing of the relevant tax disc,the lady said as long as you tax it before the 14 th day you cannot "be done" she cited the sorn regulations as being the reason.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Car tax renewal - Dwight Van Driver
Sorry Oldman despite what your DVLA lady has said I disagree

I think I am fairly well up on Traffic Law including Excise. My understanding is that theree is nothing in VERA/Sorn giving lawfull authority to the 14 days so called grace. This is a myth and has been for yonks. Nor have I seen any amendment to VERA to allow. Nor have I seen anything in the DVLA site stating this.

It would seem that what she may be referring to is a sort of gentlemens's agreement that they would not pursue a prosecution (which DVLA only not Police can authorise)if vehicle used but re-licensed with 14 days expiry of old Licence.

Neither is there any exemption for failing to display a Licence of which Police etc have free reign to slap a FPN for. The only exemption under the Regs for failing to display is when a current Licence is returned to DVLA for amendment/re-issue.

dvd
This is why i questioned her further, she was in charge and training a trainee. i was passing through and taxed some cars ,i am a motor trader and therefore very keen on keeping my clean licence and dont go anywhere without my plates.,that is why when i overheard the conversation to a customer i asked her to clarify her position which she did.
--
"a little man in a big world/"
Car tax renewal - Civic8
As a matter of interest,(been several questions as to displaying new tax disc before old one runs out)
presume you would need to display both in order to not be nicked for only displaying new one,before old one runs out, ie old one is not displayed as covered up by new one,I think this comes under failure to display,but is this a grey area?
--
Steve
Car tax renewal - Dwight Van Driver
New one isn't current until start of the month......

Fail to display a current Licence.....

dvd
Car tax renewal - commerdriver
DVD I was told by DVLA earlier this week that I had the 14 days to re register SORN but he dis day as long as the vehicle is not used on the road.
Either they have some rules/guidance in that direction or the assumption is it's only they who care as long as the vehicle is not on the road.
Car tax renewal - Dalglish
i asked her to clarify her position which she did.

>>

in which case, next time you go there, tell the lady she is wrong:

see this discussion in the house of lords:

www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200203/ldhansr...m

..... regulations will have no effect on law-abiding citizens who license their vehicles on time and are also not intended to catch those who may, through oversight or difficulty, buy their tax discs a day or two late. Only those whose vehicles are unlicensed for at least a month will face paying the supplement. .....
..... Some people still think that they have 14 days' grace after the VED has expired and continue to use their vehicles. The DVLA must ensure that there is no confusion about the new system. .... "

ive read that dalglish but note that it is dated Friday, 14th November 2003. I was told that the new law had only recently come in . If i am passing through again next week then i will try and clarify the position,unless someone can shoot it down before then or clarify it is correct, (by the way it does not bother me whether you get 14 days or not personally).
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Car tax renewal - Dalglish
If i am passing through again next week then i will try and
clarify the position, ....

>>

oldman, that would be helpful. i tried a quick search for later regs, and found this:

www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/motoring/magazine/firstg...m
5. Renewing your tax disc
Under the system of continuous registration introduced on January 1 2004, the DVLA may identify unlicensed vehicles from the vehicle record, so there is no longer a need for the vehicle to be seen on the public road. No enforcement action will be taken from the record during the 14-day period of grace, provided that the registered keeper applies for a licence during this time. However, by law, any vehicle used or kept on the public road must display a valid tax disc.

Note: Under continuous registration, legislation does allow a 14-day period, during which time there will be no enforcement from the record. However, this is only a statutory allowance under CR, which means that enforcement from the record won't commence for 14 days after licence expiry. If the vehicle is seen on road without a tax disc, or with an expired disc, enforcement could still commence.

Car tax renewal - normd
I think you'll find the offence is "failure to display..." ie even if you have a valid tax disc but it's fallen onto the floor out of sight or similar then you'll pick up a FPN.
Car tax renewal - Rooster
My car tax ran out at the end of Jan, but I taxed for twelve months after it had passed its MoT last Fri and immediately displayed the new disc before the old one had expired. Does this mean that, in theory, I could have been done for not displaying a current disc?

Doesn't really matter, I know, as the time has passed. I'm just curious.
Car tax renewal - normd
On the 10th of January this year I went to renew the tax disc on the Astra which had expired on 13st December. (I couldn't find the insurance doc so had to wait for a replacement) At the same time I thought I'd buy a new one for the Previa which was due to expire at the end of January and was told the following:

Yes you can buy a tax disc for the Astra valid from Jan 1st onwards on the 10th;
BUT
No, you can't but a disc valid from the 1st of the following month until the 15th of the preceeding month or later even though it still had a current disc.

This may be where the 14 days grace thinking has come from.

To answer Rooster's question the validity date THEY look for is the expiry date not the start date (as there isn't one on the disc)
Car tax renewal - Rooster
Cheers for that - thought that might be the case, although I wouldn't have been surprised had the answer been the other way round! Anything is possible in the age of the jobsworth!

Car tax renewal - Stuartli
>>This may be where the 14 days grace thinking has come from.>>

There did used to be a 14 day grace period from the start of a month for many years, but it was dropped.

If the person concerned had got the renewal form, papers and cheque ready before using the car for the school run, it would seem very unlikely that they would have been prosecuted even if stopped.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by