What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Jaguar being bailed out - teabelly
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4555468.stm

An already slightly over spent Ford seems to have found the odd billion to put into Jaguar. Must have been one heck of a sofa cushion hiding that little pile :-)
teabelly
Jaguar being bailed out - bell boy
i bid them £10 for the lot but was turned down.
Jaguar being bailed out - Armitage Shanks {p}
This susbsidy works out how much per car they sold? Any ideas people?
Jaguar being bailed out - Altea Ego
Jaguar produced approx 120,000 cars last year and lost 429 million pounds

a loss of approx £3,500 on every car sold.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Jaguar being bailed out - Imagos
We should really be grateful because if Ford did walk away then Jaguar would almost certainly sink like Rover.

I'm sure no backroomer would like to see that.

Economically it doesn't make sense, The heritage must mean something to Ford.
Jaguar being bailed out - Xileno {P}
The problem with Jaguar is that they are always one of the last to the party. Behind the other prestige brands to have a small executice car to rival the 3 series. Ditto a 4x4. Ditto an estate. Ditto diesel engines.
Jaguar being bailed out - Vansboy
Best give them a bit of free publicicty then... www.newyearsale.co.uk
Anyone find a bargain in that lot??

VB
Jaguar being bailed out - madf
I can't think of a current Jaguar I want. New or secondhand. At any price.
Expensive to run, soso or plain ugly styling and far too large...

OK if your mindset was in their heyday in the 1950s or 1960s but the heritage is long gone.
madf
Jaguar being bailed out - El Hacko
but this is surely all about brand value - Ford bought "the cat" and will not let it go under while they endeavour to turn it into a commercial success.
Jaguar being bailed out - cheddar
Anyone find a bargain in that lot??

You can get £10k + of an XJR.

Also re madf, I for one would love an S-Type 2.7d Sport or an X-type 2.2d Sport Estate.
Sorry, XKR.
Jaguar being bailed out - colinh
Weren't Renault supoosed to be interested in buying it - they needed a quick entry into a "sporting" image to get some return on their investment in F1.
Jaguar being bailed out - blue_haddock
one of the main problems with jaguar is that unless your a middle age man then pretty much the whole range doesn't appeal to you.

I've started looking for my new company car and whilst i'm considering things like A4's and 3 Series the X-Type is just too dull and well we all know it's basically a posh mondeo ;-)

The only Jag from the past 20 years i'd even think about owning would be a mid to late 90's XJR as a bit of a Q car.
Jaguar being bailed out - Reggie
I've been thinking of getting an S type Sport...........but then I am 47!

Reggie
>>and whilst i'm considering things like A4's and 3 Series the X-Type is just too dull and well we all know it's basically a posh
mondeo ;-)

Why is it too dull, it is great to drive, good looking, good engines (but for the 2.0 V6), intersting AWD system stonking and very efficient (in MPG/CO2/BiK terms) diesels, I note the ;-) though it is worth say that it's relationship with the Mondeo helps to make it good to drive albeit that the X-Type set up is not quite as sporty as the Mondeo.

I would love a 330d Touring, maybe a 330i though an X-Type exudes so much more character and charm that the somewhat antiseptic A4, that being said I had a look at an A6 3.0 TDi the other day, thought the dash was very seasonal in that it lights up like a christmas tree with a mix of blue red and orange, I am not sure if you would notice, for instance, if the oil light come on amongst this colourful cacophony of light. Give me a subtle green or neutral back light any day.
Jaguar being bailed out - cjehuk
Why is it too dull, it is great to drive, good
looking, good engines (but for the 2.0 V6), intersting AWD system
stonking and very efficient (in MPG/CO2/BiK terms) diesels

What's the good of that though if one wants an Automatic diesel? That rules the Jag out immediately, but leaves Audi, BMW and Mercedes in the running. If you are looking for a petrol car you can no longer get a 2.0v6 X-Type the smallest is the 2.5v6, which may be beyond the MPG/CO2/BiK that people are prepared to pay.

I have a friend who believes we should all drive Jaguars/love all the products they make. He doesn't like the new XK, thinks it's too 'non traditional' Jag. I wonder if the new XK will save Jaguar though because maybe it is enough new Jaguar to pull the company back from bankruptcy. I'd like an XJ perhaps too, but not until I'm like mid to late 40s, when it would be ok. For now, too staid.
I take the point about auto diesels, I don't know why there is not a 2.0d X-Type with the apparently (I have not driven one) excellent Ford durashift tiptronic type box that is an option on a TDCi Mondeo.
Jaguar being bailed out - smoke
Just as a side point if a X type is a posh Mondeo isn't a A4 just a posh VW passat;-) with a shared floor pan and some shared engines, yet people rarely mention this ;-).
Jaguar being bailed out - Adam {P}
I don't like Jags and never have to be perfectly honest but having seen a very sporty looking X-Type in a nice red, I've changed my mind.

Of course, the prices they fetch would mean I'd buy other cars before them but I'd still have one all the same.
Without being rude Cheddar can i ask you your age? I find that jaguars just like the Rover 75 that i'm currently driving are only attractive to males of a certain age.

The problem is they just dont appeal to enough people. Also it works out cheaper due to better residuals to have an Audi A4 than a similar Jag X-Type
Without being rude Cheddar can i ask you your age? I
find that jaguars just like the Rover 75 that i'm currently
driving are only attractive to males of a certain age.

Not rude, shall we say nearly mid 40's, the 75 does not appeal though both the X and facelfted S in Sport trim are great looking cars full of character and great dynamics.
The problem is they just dont appeal to enough people.>>

I know a few 20's rep types that have chosen X-Type diesels though one guys got one, looked inside my Ghia X Mondeo and mused over the fact that he missed out on sunroof, leather, 6 CD etc for a Jag badge.
it works out cheaper due to better residuals to have an
Audi A4 than a similar Jag X-Type

Perhaps so, in the same way it works out cheaper to buy a crate of something boring by Stowells of Chelsea than a good charcterful Rioja.
Jaguar being bailed out - midlifecrisis
I like the X Type estate, but then I like the Volvo V50. My god I'm getting old!!!!!
Jaguar being bailed out - scc
Having just put down a deposit for a 2.2 X type SE estate with March delivery I found this thread interesting. I decided some time ago that my next car was going to be something I really wanted and it was between the Jag, the A4 Avant and BMW325 touring.

After test driving all three the Xtype was the one for me, with many of what would have been extras on the German cars as standard, but then again I'm well into(over?) middle age now.
Jaguar being bailed out - carl_a
This week Ford have sold the Hertz vehicle rental company for $15 billion, must need the cash as they've had a bad year. I can see problems with Jaguar in the next few years unless someone like Reanult take them over.
This week Ford have sold the Hertz vehicle rental company for
$15 billion, must need the cash as they've had a bad
year. I can see problems with Jaguar in the next few
years unless someone like Reanult take them over.

>>

What can Renault do that Ford cannot?
Jaguar being bailed out - carl_a
Look at how Carlos Ghosn turned around Nissan then look at the disasters that Ford have, Ford/Murcury/Lincoln & Jaguar/Landrover losing money, Mazda isn't doing well in Europe or the US. Double digit percentage falls for most Ford brands this year in the US, Jaguar needs a new direction the new XK is a step in the right direction but the rest of the range is too old fashioned.
Jaguar being bailed out - Altea Ego
x type estate will do me nicely. 52 years old surrey!
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Perhaps so, in the same way it works out cheaper to
buy a crate of something boring by Stowells of Chelsea than
a good charcterful Rioja.

>>

Whereas i personally would class the Audi A4 as a better vehicle than the Jag - a pint of Westons of Much Marcle's Special Reserve cider against a pint of strongbow
OK - so I'm 49, but had my share of XJ6 when I was 18 - 21, before becoming 'sensible'!

& who could say they'd not have loved the bargain HJ reported last week - £38k for the £65k XK8 convertible????

VB
& who could say they'd not have loved the bargain HJ
reported last week - £38k for the £65k XK8 convertible????

Not me - for £38k i'd rather have a 12 month old M3 convertible or CLK500 or a brand new A4 cab
CRIKEY!!

& I usually agree with what Blue has to say!!

VB
Jaguar being bailed out - autumnboy
I don't like any of the present range of Jag's. I wish they would bring something like the XJ series back.
Jaguar being bailed out - madf
My personal impressions:

The XJ6/XJ8 range is overblown: ok for large corpulent company directors.Too big. 20 year old styling. No "buy me now" styling or performance. And a V8? Someone has no idea of fuel economy...

XK8? Costs a fortune to run. Not that great performance. Company directors again. Sporting content : Nil points.

Mondeo alternative..(X type)? I can see why they can't give them away..

S type? Overblown skirts, could do with slimming down and losing 0.5tonne.

All looks very overblown/out of date or in the case of the X type mutton dressed as lamb...

Compared to the competition the brand image is 40 years out of date, they are too costly to run, the performance and handling are indifferent and frankly the product planners were working on the basis oil is going to fall to $30 per gallon..(typical myopic US product planning which has virtually destroyed GM and Ford in the US).

I'm in my late 50s. I consider the Jaguar range styling as too old man for me:-) Reminiscent of 1950s faded and long gone glories...

madf