What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - component part
Hi all.

Insurance renewal time for me and I was wondering if anyone here can help me with some specific information, should they have it? I am 24yrs old, when I took out my current years insurance I was 23. I am with Budget but my current policy is underwritten by Inter Hannova. I currently have the 'drive other cars' extension on my policy. It was a bit of a surprise when I got this facility from Budget being under 25 and all, but it is very useful thing to have-share the driving with a mate on a trip out, borrow a family car to nip to the shops, take the old man's Cooper S out for a spin etc.

Renewal came through and this year driving other cars is no longer included-different under writer named on quote etc. I rang up and it seems this year Inter Hannova have declined to quote and their cheapest bunch of policies don't include it.

Now I realise it is a pretty standard feature on policies if driver is over 25 and I also realise that it isn't a huge deal nor the end of the world etc but if someone else is under 25 and has the 'driving other cars' extension could they say which insurer it was quoted through and which under writer if possible so I can take a targeted approach to getting some quotes?

Regards
Component Part.
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - Dwight Van Driver
May well be difficult to find a company that will do DOC. I gather abuse of this facility has led Insurance Companies to no longer offer as a standard. A word with an Insurance Broker may help.

dvd
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - Nsar
Can I get in with a related question....
I have an old Landy on which both the MOT and insurance have run out. It needs a bit of work to get through MOT. Clearly I can't drive it to the garage, but could my wife on her policy? If plod happened to stop us on the 2 mile journey, would my wife get clobbered or me for the no MOT issue?
Yes I know the proper solution is to get it towed by the garage, but.....
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - defender
nsar,if it has wheels on the road (as in towing )it must have an insurance certificate.if you prebook an mot and your wife has an extension for any other vehicle she can legaly drive it to the mot test and home again.
Thanks D, an admirably clear answer.
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - martint123
Read her policy!. Those I've seen excluse excluse "self and spouse" from DOC.
For the O/P I'm suprised you have an active DOC - my policies have a DOC extension, but all have the provisio of "over 25".
I think policies underwitten by NU are (have?) lost the DOC but, but others are still doing it whilst seeing if it affects the number of NU policyholders.
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - pmh
As of 13/12/05 NU renewals still include DOC.

--

pmh (was peter)

Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - AngryJonny
I'm pretty sure I still have DOC on my Churchill policy. I'll see if it's still on there when my renewal comes through in February.

----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - Peter D
DOC only works if the vechicle is insured. It only allows you to drive someone else's legal vehicle on your third party only cover. As you intend to run the Landy then you will have to indure it the morning of the MOT and drive to a pre-booked MOT. If it fails you should not really drive it back. Regards Peter
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - pmh
For a comprehensive discussion look at
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=34314&...f

My understanding that provided the DOC driver remains with the vehicle (ie not parked and left in a place where insurance is required eg road public place etc) the vehicle is insured.
Once in the charge of the garage it becomes their problem, altho if they choose to leave it in the road questions may arise!

--

pmh (was peter)

How can I insure it before I have an MOT though?
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - AngryJonny
You can insure the car without an MOT. The insurance will, however, state that the vehicle has to be roadworthy. It can be roadworthy without an MOT certificate.

Not sure how it applies to you though, given that you know the vehicle is unroadworthy.
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - Cliff Pope
You can insure the car without an MOT. The insurance will,
however, state that the vehicle has to be roadworthy. It can
be roadworthy without an MOT certificate.
Not sure how it applies to you though, given that you
know the vehicle is unroadworthy.

The MOT exemption trick is actually a bit wider - you can legally drive it untaxed to a repairer who is going to do work for the MOT, not just for the MOT itself. I think it says that on the back of the failure notification slip. But it must be pre-booked, and the vehicle insured.
In this particular case, as it's only 2 miles away, couldn't you just get the garage to pick it up for you?
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - MichaelR
DOC only works if the vechicle is insured.

AFAIK this is NOT true - this is only true if your policy specifically states the vehicle must be insured in its own right.
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - pd
My policy says nothing about the car having to be insured elsewhere. What you can't do though is tax a car without a policy specifically insuring that car (or, in the case of the driver or company having an "any car" policy - the car being registered in a connecting name).

Driving a car on a DOC policy which isn't insured elsewhere also means it will not be entered onto the Motor Insurance Database so you are far more likely to be stopped or recorded by the various cameras popping up.

Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - Peter D
Quite a few insurance companies don't say the other vechile has to be insured but the fact is they do ohter wise we would all have second cars owned by grandma ( deceased )and for at least one year you could drive it under you DOC. No Way
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - Cliff Pope
This DOC - does it really mean it? question keeps coming up, but never seems to get finally resolved.

Surely it is the case that a car has to be insured to be on a public road, regardless of whether anyone is actually insured to drive it? You couldn't claim that a parked driverless car was covered by a DOC clause alone, because no-one would be driving it. If this were the case, then millions of parked cars would all be "insured" under my DOC insurance.
I can't leave an uninsured car in the road just because my neighbour has DOC insurance - would it suddenly be OK if he nipped out and sat in the driving seat when the police did their check? And would the insurance just as quickly cease the moment he climbed out again?
The situation would be absurd, as PeterD points out.
Surely DOC can only mean insured to DRIVE a car from which you are otherwise excluded by its own insurance.

Thanks for the replies-basically, phone around, but it's not very likely! No problems. Just had another quote today, doesn't include DOC unfortunately, but it is £100 cheaper than the best quote from my current insurers, so I'll see what they say about that.

Re the question of the conditions under which you can use the DOC extension. I have had this argument many times with various people, who ususally insist that the car you are driving under the DOC, which *isn't* your own must be insured in it's own right first. Well what my policy states and when I asked verbally all that is required is that the car is road legal (ie taxed and MOT'd) and you have the owners permission to drive it. That is *definately* what my insurance policy documents + small print say; think about it; why would the car already have to be insured by someone else before your insurance company covered you via the DOC extension? Makes no sense-if you crash it is your insurance company's loss, if someone else causes the crash it is their insurance company's loss (or not if they happen to be uninsured).

I'd really like DOC for this years policy but looks like I'm gonna have to live without. Still, I don't actually want to turn 25 so maybe I should be happy I'm still 24.
Re Cliff Pope. As I understand it the DOC only insures you whilst driving the other car. By it's very nature the car does not belong to you therefore when you finish using the car it is no longer insured (unless it is already insured by someone else ie the owner-this doesn't have to be the case for you to drive it though)-after you park up it is the owner's problem if there isn't already a policy in force on the car. I'm sure if say you left the car unattended whilst in the shop and you caused an accident for example through dangerous parking, your DOC insurance would cover it even if no other policy was in force on the car as although you weren't physically in the car you were the 'driver' as it was part of your journey and the journey hadn't finished yet.

IMO of course.

Component Part.
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - Cardew
>> This DOC - does it really mean it? question keeps coming
up, but never seems to get finally resolved.
Surely it is the case that a car has to be
insured to be on a public road, regardless of whether anyone
is actually insured to drive it? You couldn't claim that a
parked driverless car was covered by a DOC clause alone, because
no-one would be driving it. If this were the case, then
millions of parked cars would all be "insured" under my DOC
insurance.
I can't leave an uninsured car in the road just because
my neighbour has DOC insurance - would it suddenly be
OK if he nipped out and sat in the driving seat
when the police did their check? And would the insurance just
as quickly cease the moment he climbed out again?
The situation would be absurd, as PeterD points out.
Surely DOC can only mean insured to DRIVE a car from
which you are otherwise excluded by its own insurance.

Cliff,
This was covered in some depth in the link posted by someone above.
The conclusion was that you can drive an uninsured car on your own DOC extension, but that car is only covered whilst you are in the car.
So in the case you quote if your neighbour jumped into the car before the police did their check you would be OK(provided it had tax and MOT)

C
Driving Other Cars, Insurance Q - Dalglish
you can drive an uninsured car

>>

it is this problem that the discussion addressed at:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36407&...f

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=35141&...f

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4295834.stm