What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dorchester Limo - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
Stood in the centre of York on Lendal Bridge at around 2 o'clock this afternoon. This long black stretch limo swooped past me with 'Dorchester' badged on the back, heading towards the Minster.
The badge on the front looked a bit like a Maybach, but was going too fast to tell.

Anyone know what I saw, or anything about them?

Simon
Dorchester Limo - Wales Forester
Have a look on www.coleman-milne.co.uk , specifically www.coleman-milne.co.uk/colemanmilne/do_detail_2
I think that's what you've seen.

Dorchester Limo - DrS
Lived on a farm in Blackrod, Bolton, for a few months.
Guy rented one of the units there, had gozillions of the things.
v impressive!
Dorchester Limo - jc
Usually they were stretched Granadas & Scorpios.
Dorchester Limo - Adam {P}
Take a look on Autotrader at all the Coleman Milne stuff. Last time I looked, there was a stretched S class up for 70 grand!
Dorchester Limo - expat
On the Coleman site they said they had based it on an Australian Ford. I think this would be the one:
ford.com.au/range/fairlane/models/ltd.asp
It is basically a high spec, long wheelbase version of the Falcon. I have a base model Falcon station wagon with the 4lt 6 cylinder and it has plenty of power and is a very nice drive so the V8 should be exceptionally good.
That looks about right!
Both the Coleman-Milne site and the Aussie one show a Ford blue oval on the grille, but this one had a stretched and pointy 'M' instead (I think!). Hence the Maybach idea.
It was definitely a swift 'waft' past, so detail passed quickly.

Has anyone seen a Maybach out on the roads?
Dorchester Limo - AngryJonny
Has anyone seen a Maybach out on the roads?

Yep - saw one going through Hammersmith a few months back. I think it was one of the LWB ones. Absolutely massive.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Dorchester Limo - PhilDS
Saw a Maybach being delivered to a fancy address in Chilworth, Southampton recently. Caused a traffic jam as it was dropped in its own 40' HGV trailer!
Dorchester Limo - smokie
A bit OT I know, but I saw the most giNORmous stretch Hummer at Gatwick Airport a few weeks back.
Dorchester Limo - DrS
A bit of a cheat, I know, but did a motorbike ride down to Monte Carlo this Summer. Maybach's are ten a penny down there.
They are big, mind you!
Some surreal stuff, as well: Like cars parked in a line at the kerbside: Bentley Flying Spur, Lamborghini Gallardo, beaten up Renault 21, Aston Martin Vantage.....
The only Maybach I've seen was in a tiny place called Levi in Finland, well inside the arctic circle.
I was wandering to the skidoo hire shop - standard mode of transport there - and nearly fell over one. It was stupidly long taking up two parking spaces. Also very out of place, as everyone else had tiny V70's or Saabs.
Dorchester Limo - henry k
On the Coleman site they said they had based it on an Australian Ford
It is basically a high spec, long wheelbase version of the
Falcon

>>
Sadly I had plenty of time today to look at the real thing and it was confirmed by the drivers that it was a 4L Aussie Falcon.

I am surprised Lordy has not commented.
He must be the forums best source of such info.
Dorchester Limo - lordy
Sorry henry! Peter Perfect answered the original question straight away. I currently run a Mercedes E-class E280 six door. The saloon was bought new in '99 and was then sent to Germany to be stretched to six doors. Took about four months. You would never know you were driving such a long car, handles superbly.

Being in North Wales, there are still a few part-time undertakers around in rural parts, buliders by day, undertakers as a sideline (aka 'Fred's with Sheds'). The vehicles they use are a scream. One has an Austin Princess hearse c1977 (hand painted), another a MKI Granada limo, exhaust hanging off, no window winders (fallen off). As they creak open the doors for the family, the driver usually take one final deep drag on his cigarette and then flicks it, with associated shower of sparks, arcing beautifully through the air, usually landing on the flowers. Perfect!

Oh the stories I could tell. Unfortunately, they're probably for another forum completely.
--
let me be the last to let you down....