What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Clock - Epic
Please can anybody whether I can fix the following simply at home or whether it needs a garage?
I have a 1998 Ford Mondeo. The digital clock only works when I switch the lights on. As soon as I switch the lights off it turns off. On my previous Mondeo this never happened.
I mentioned it to my Ford Garage and they seemed mystified. As there could be a simple solution I thought I would post here!

Thanks
Epic
Ford Mondeo Clock - sierraman
Sounds like it has been connected to the lighting cicuit,can you connect it to anopther feed?An auto electrician would sort it for a few quid as long as it is not the clock at fault.
Ford Mondeo Clock - kithmo
It may just be a poor earth (-ve)connection and it works when you switch the lights on because of the potential difference between the light feed and the normal feed.
Ford Mondeo Clock - cheddar
It is likely that it is supposed to be brighter when the lights are off so it can be seen in daylight and dimmer when the lights are on so as to not dazzle/distract at night therefore it may have two sources of illumination one of which is not working.
Ford Mondeo Clock - Altea Ego
The main daytime backlight has gone. LCD displays need a backlight on all the time.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Ford Mondeo Clock - Adam {P}
I'd back that up. A good way to understand what RF is on about is to look at your odometer. On your model Mondeo that shoudl be digital. When you turn the ignition on, watch it light up and work. Now turn the lights on.

That would explain why your clock isn't working.
Ford Mondeo Clock - Epic
Thanks for your replies:
TVM - My odometer is not digital. Its the old style spinning wheel stlye however I understand your point! Is replacing the backlight something I can do myself? I ask because I cannot see an obvious way to remove the clock. It is flush with the dashboard and I cannot see any grooves or holes where I could lever or pull it out?
Ford Mondeo Clock - Wales Forester
The clock will prise out of the surround with a little persuasion. I think trying to prise from one of the ends is best. Use the thinnest flat head screwdriver you have and put a piece of tape on each surface to help stop any scratches.
Ford Mondeo Clock - MW
Try using a new Stanley blade with tape to stop stratches. Very gentle and move it every 4/5 mm.
Ford Mondeo Clock - Adam {P}
I think on the Mondeo (I really am thinking now) that the clock itself is part of a large piece of plastic that prises out.

Ford Mondeo Clock - Peter D
If the clock is keeping time it is the backlight that has gone. Regards Peter