What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Red Lights and Emergency vehicles - grn
I note from HJs letters this week that someone who went though a red light to allow an emergency vehicle through - this was a while back and they were "caught" - points + fine, they appealed, and the appeal failed. Seems the law won't look favourably if you do this- even if it is safe. As someone who has found myself having to do this more than I care to remember of late, I will certainly not move through a red for an emergency vehicle...Which will be v interesting where I live, as they have just remodelled to towns main road in and out to be so narrow that there is no lateral room to manouver. A+S Constabulary and other emergency services may have a wait on their hands. Would others risk their driving record and wallet?
Red Lights and Emergency vehicles - Pugugly {P}
Its a daft legal technicality, people probably never got booked for it before Traffic cops were automated. Daft.
Red Lights and Emergency vehicles - Adam {P}
Wouldn't this fall under the category of being instructed by a police officer? Techincally, by having the blues and twos on, they're instructing you to run the red light surely?
Red Lights and Emergency vehicles - BobbyG
That argument wouldn't work for ambulance or fire engine though?
I don't think so. Probably not.
Red Lights and Emergency vehicles - BazzaBear {P}
I'd take exactly the opposite stanbce to you grnicol. I'm not going to risk holding up someone in an emergency situation, so I'd certainly go through the red in the same situation. But I most certainly wouldn't pay any fine that they then attempted to levy on me.
Those West Midlands' Officers standing at the traffic lights (see carjacking thread) might serve an useful purpose after all !

Bazzabear I agree with you on moral and ethical grounds, trouble is (and I can evidence this) Police in particular are so trigger happy with blues and twos you may be running the risk of gaining a fine and some point for the sake of a dead sheep in the road. (not hypothetical by the way)