What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Focus running temperature - Billsboy
My Wife inherited a "W" reg 2.0lt Focus Ghia two months or so and it came with fsh (not all Ford) and 48k miles.
We are very pleased with the car but even after a short run it "Smells" hot.
Lift the bonnet and the heat hits you and when you switch off the engine, it creaks with the sound of metal contracting.
It does not use any water or oil and the temperature gauge remains steady, just under the half way point. A test staion revealed the emissions were OK.
Is this normal for the model and if not has anyone got any ideas on what could be wrong?
Any help welcomed.
Focus running temperature - jc
Probably fitted with close-coupled catalyst.Ie.catalyst is in engine compartment-it's close to engine to give quick light-up.
Focus running temperature - henry k
V reg 2.0L Focus Ghia in our household for 3 years.
The catalyst is indeed mounted vertically in front of the engine block.
Not aware of any hot smell. I will listen out for any creaks.

Focus running temperature - henry k
Just returned after short - 6 mile slow urban trip.
I popped the bonnet and the catalyst was certainly creaking.
I would not expect the engine to be hot hot on my run so still cannot comment on this.
Focus running temperature - P 2501
I think this may be normal. I have recently changed to a new car (not the same,a honda) and after a run i was amazed at how much heat the engine bay kicked out.

If you have gone to a 2l petrol from a diesel as i did, then you just may not be used to how much waste heat a petrol produces.
Focus running temperature - Billsboy
Thanks for the comments. I think you could be right, our main car is a TDi and the Focus's predecessor a much smaller old technology petrol.
I may have more confidence now when driving it, without waiting for something to go bang!
Focus running temperature - Adam {P}
I read this thread yesterday. I was out in the car for abotu 2 hours before with relatively hard driving and just for you, I checked the engine afterwards.

Very hot and with that satisfying cooling down noise.