What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - Keith S

Anyone have any ideas what the most poweful / quickest diesel car on the market is at the moment?

I think VW are planning a Golf GT TDI with 170ps, but cant find anything similar.
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - AR-CoolC
AFAIK VW's V10 diesel in the Touareg is the most powerful deisel engine in a production car, not sure if it's the fastest though.
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - Keith S
Maybe I should have limited the scope to cars under or around 20k. Interested because I want something diesel to replace (as close as possible) my Megane 225.
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - Group B
What about Seat Leon Cupra FR TDi, then get it chipped/ remapped? Could be good for 180bhp and 280lb.ft torque, according to mrhoot.com .
Or 2006 model 2.0 TDi Sport DSG.
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - JohnM{P}
Seat Altea 170ps TDI just announced - see HJ's Car by Car Breakdown
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - johnsnc
For a 20K budget I would guess you are looking at something like the 150bhp engine in the Vauxhalls/Fiats, the 155bhp in the Mondeo ST ( sneaked the Mondeo in there !), I think I recall the Mazda 6 now has a pokey diesel and perhaps a BMW would sneak in under budget. There are probably others .. they were the ones that spring to mind .. the VW 2 litre is 140bhp I think.
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - Chad.R
Does it have to be new? If not, perhaps a 2 year old 330d would fit the bill?

It could easily be chipped to around the same power as the Megane 225 and would have near enough 500Nm of torque too.

All for under 20K - what a bargain!

Most Powerful Diesel Car? - blue_haddock
It could easily be chipped to around the same power as
the Megane 225 and would have near enough 500Nm of torque
too.

A Friend of mine has a 330Cd - this has been fully re-mapped and is running approx 270bhp but with massive amounts of torque.
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - mare
Maybe I should have limited the scope to cars under or
around 20k. Interested because I want something diesel to replace (as
close as possible) my Megane 225.

Would it be amiss to suggest the Skoda Fabia VRS?
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - barchettaman
I *think* the A8 tdi V8 is even more powerful.
Aren´t Mercedes Benz planning a triple turbo V6 CDi for the SLK?
No doubt someone will be along in a minute with truck output figures.
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - Xileno {P}
What about the Jag 2.7 V6 twin turbo diesel?
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - L'escargot
Anyone have any ideas what the most poweful diesel
car on the market is at the moment?

2.0Td4 Freelander ~ 175 bhp
2.7D Jaguar ~ 206 bhp
3.0 V6 Grand Cherokee ~ 215 bhp
530d BMW ~ 231 bhp
535d BMW ~ 272 bhp
........etc.

What Car? magazine lists most cars.

--
L\'escargot.
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - Xileno {P}
I think what Keith is after is the fastest, not necessarily the most powerful. He is used to the explosive performance of the 225. So power to weight ratios are crucial.
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - rjr
I am sure that the Audi A8 4.2 V8 TDi is currently the world's most powerful production diesel car with 321 bhp (the VW Touareg 5.0 V10 has 309bhp and the non-UK Mercedes-Benz V8 CDi has 314bhp).

The Audi hits 60mph in 5.9s and is limited to 155mph so I imagine that it is also the fastest production diesel car.

The tri-turbo diesel engined SLK mentioned by barchettman was shown as a concept at Geneva earlier this year. It generated 286bhp but is unlikely to make production.
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - rjr
I had seen the piece on the E400 CDi - it is rare to get an appraisal of this engine published in english.

Sadly, I don't think that we will be seeing the new E420 CDi in the UK (or even a S420 CDi). However, I believe this engine will finally come to the UK in the M-Class and the new GL-Class (unveiled yesterday).
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - mss1tw
So power to weight ratios are crucial.

On a diesel?
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - bradgate
I understand Toyota's Corolla verso is available with a 180bhp diesel for around your budget.

If you're looking for something smaller or 'posher' the BMW 120d has 163bhp & 250 torques for around your budget. A car enthusiast colleague has one and is highly impressed - the 1 series is small inside, however and is probably best thought of as a coupe rather than a family car.
Most Powerful Diesel Car? - barchettaman
I think just about any of the higher-output 1.9 or 2.0 diesels should give you the sort of torque-steery, front tyre-shredding performance you´re used to from the Megane, at low revs anyway. Have fun looking and trying ´em.