What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
90K Astra maintainance - barchettaman
The Astra has just clocked up 90k miles, and ideally I would like to get another 30k out of it before it gets scrapped. It´s a 1.8 16V on a V. CDX trim, all the bells and whistles, and we really like it.
Plus if it keeps going for another few years it means we can afford to keep the beautiful Barchetta.

With this in mind, I am changing the oil now every 3k, and the filter every 6k. Apart from the regular service things on the schedule, should I be doing anything more? The car is now being used for more short runs than I would like.

Any advice gratefully received! Many thanks.

Barchettaman
90K Astra maintainance - Xileno {P}
You hav a low opinion of modern cars. It will go on for ages yet. 100K is nothing for a modern car, provided it has been properly serviced and driven considerately.

Just stick to the service schedule and as you do short journeys, keep that oil changed. Ideally once a week take it for a longer run.
Maybe I just don´t want to tempt fate by assuming it´ll run on and on....!
Thanks for the advice Xileno. Will do.
90K Astra maintainance - László Molnár

https://ketmolnarauto.hu/kozzetetel/olajszuro-leszedese-leszedo-ar-kormos-lancos-meghuzasa-debrecenbol

90K Astra maintainance - mss1tw
With this in mind, I am changing the oil now every
3k, and the filter every 6k. Apart from the regular service
things on the schedule, should I be doing anything more? The
car is now being used for more short runs than I
would like.

Do both every 5k and you should see 200k easily, watch out with those short runs though.
Thanks mss1tw! Great advice.
Looks Like I´ll be able to keep the Barchetta for a while yet.
90K Astra maintainance - mss1tw
No problem!

To go more in depth, others would probably also advocate:

- Not leaving it ticking over on cold mornings to warm up
- Not revving it too hard when it's cold, BUT
- Making sure it does get revved, it is a 16v after all
- Change coolant
- I also used to let mine idle for 15 secs before driving. (See below)

The current trend is the "90% of your engine wear happens at startup" advertising ploy. This fact is absolutely true, but as it happens, it's less to to with "grinding engine parts" and more to do with combustion. When the combustion gases burn, they form acids which are highly corrosive when their vapours condense. These acids collect in the upper cylinder areas where their temperature is raised above their dew point. The acids condense and etch the cylinder walls and piston rings. In reality, this accounts for over 85% of engine wear, the other 15% being down to abrasion. So the adverts are nearly right - most of the engine wear does happen at startup, and it is because of a lack of oil, but it isn't because the oil isn't coating moving parts - it's because it's not transporting these acidic gases away. Having said that, if you start the engine and let it idle for 15 seconds or so before moving off, you can probably add another 100,000 miles to your engine's life without one bottle of additive. This warms the oil up a tad and makes sure it's in all the most vital areas before you start putting a strain on the engine. Most handbooks tell you not to let the engine warm up before driving off (they're referring to the acid corrosion mentioned above), but they mean don't let it reach working temperature. If, however, you insist on starting up and belting off down the road, think of this next time: it takes an average engine around 3 minutes of average driving for the exhaust manifold to reach 300°C. If you blast off and run around at full throttle, right from the word go, that process takes a little under a minute. Think about it - from outside air temperature to 300°C in a minute - what exactly is that doing to the metal in your manifold? Ask anyone who's ever owned an original Audi Quattro - they'll tell you exactly what happens

Taken from www.carbibles.com/additives.html

and for bodywork to give the underbody and wheelarches a good rinse out when you wash it.
90K Astra maintainance - Ruperts Trooper
Change the oil and filter at 5,000. There's no real value in just changing the oil and not the filter. Use decent oil, not cheap stuff. Every 20,000 at oil flush and run for 20 mins before draining the old oil out.

Change the cambelt and tensioners/pulleys every 40,000 miles. Change the water pump every 80,000 as it's failure has the same effect as a snapped cambelt!

We've a 'W' CDX Astra with 73,000 on Mobil 1 0W-40 which we're planning to keep till 150,000. We may overtake you on the way.
90K Astra maintainance - RichardP
Good advice, not sure about the oil flush though, is this really necessary on modern engines, using moderns oils and being changed regularly? I've heard in some cases the flush can do more harm than good. As far as I know, my 23 year old Ford Granada has never had a oil flush and the engine is a clean as a whistle (the tappets and valve gear looks like new when the rockers come off for a tappet adjustment, with no gunge etc. visible). Give the car a good 20 mile blast down the motorway every 2 weeks, and don't labour the engine!
Many thanks all for this sound advice. I´m looking forward to keeping the Astra until it gets beyond economic repair! It´s garaged, so tinworm shouldn´t be too much of an issue. We´ll try and keep short runs to a minimum. And on the autobahns here, it certainly gets a good blast!
Best wishes,
barchettaman
90K Astra maintainance - Ruperts Trooper
Tinworm shouldn't be a problem, at least for UK registered cars. The early Vauxhall Astra Mk4 98-00 had a 12 year anti-perforation rust warranty although current models only get 6 years.
90K Astra maintainance - WmMaroon

To go more in depth, others would probably also advocate:

- Not leaving it ticking over on cold mornings to warm up
- Not revving it too hard when it's cold, BUT
- Making sure it does get revved, it is a 16v after all
- Change coolant
- I also used to let mine idle for 15 secs before driving

Edited by Avant on 04/08/2019 at 15:02

90K Astra maintainance - Ian D
I wonder if the OP still has the car, 13 years after his post!
90K Astra maintainance - John F

And what a load of expensive unnecessary advice! Nowadays, the cheapest synthetic oil every 10,000 miles should result in engine life of 200,000 miles if kept cooled and lubricated. Cars are usually scrapped long before that. Coolant does not need to be changed. And as for idling a cold engine before moving off - theoretical nonsense!