What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Saab 9-3 diesel v Mondeo - fred bear
I am about to change my car and have narrowed down my choice to a Saab 9-3 or a Mondeo diesel. As it'll be a company car I am not concerned with depreciation and the cost (tax etc) are pretty much alike. Brief test drives suggest to me they are both good cars (the famous Saab ideosyncrancies dont bother me). Reading reviews however the Saab is cricitised as having poor handling and being noisy. The Mondeo on the other hand has a crass interior (lots of shiny silver plastic) but, image aside, is universally praised. I'm inclined to the Saab. Any experience of it out there?
Re: Saab 9-3 diesel v Mondeo - John S
fred

Ran a 900 petrol for a while, and there's no doubt it doesn't handle like a Mondeo (far more roll), although it's fine on motorways. Wasn't that hot on fuel either. Had a loan of a 9-3 diesel when mine was in for service. Not at all impressed with the engine - very definitely a diesel, so I'd agree with the critisms you've had. Marginly better handling than the 900, but still not good.

Mondeo handles better, but I don't like Ford interiors - as you say a bit plasticky. I've read some critisism of Ford diesels too, on refinement, but I don't know if latest versions are better.

We sold our 900 and kept my ex-company Vectra SRi - preferable to both at the time.

Regards

John
Re: Saab 9-3 diesel v Mondeo - Mike H
Fred

I have recently returned my 9-3 diesel (99T) which I ran for nearly 3 years as my company car. It had the original 115bhp engine but with the 99 model year higher gearing. I thought it was excellent but, as has already been commented on, it rolled a bit. It was an extremely good motorway car with bags of urge & averaged 45mpg over the time I had it (saw over 50mpg a few times). The ride was OK, but the suspension very definitely not up to modern standards (badly jittery on rough corners) - but roadholding OK. As for noise, I wouldn't call it obtrusive or unpleasant but I had some new tyres fitted just before I gave it back & they made a lot of difference (much noisier, but only had to put up with it for a week.

Good points - comfortable to drive, pokey on motorways, good long distance cruiser, enormous boot

Bad points - lack of rear seat room, not at its best on fast cross country dashes

If you regularly transport 4 people, check the Saab out for legroom, my 14 year old son at 5ft 7in was uncomfortable behind me at the same height. Also, it is actaully quite narrow & isn't comfortable for three in the back for any period irrespective of leg length.

Email me directly if you want to ask any specific questions, I hope this helps.
Re: Saab 9-3 diesel v Mondeo - Honest John
The 9-3 is based on the Cavalier floorpan (not even the Vectra's floorpan) and is up for model replacement within a year. It's not such an improvement over the 900 that the latest 9-5 is over the original Vectra based 9-5. The 9-5 is now quite a good car.

HJ
Re: Saab 9-3 diesel v Mondeo - MPA
Very interesting... I looked at a SAAB 93 today and it seemed OK but the drive was uninspiring. Later on I tried a new Mondeo - yee har, absolutely great. I was persuaded to also try a Focus TDci - yee har har! Dilemma - spend the extra 2 grand on a Mondeo Ghia or not?
Re: Saab 9-3 diesel v Mondeo - Martin Wall
If you like the idea of the Saab then why not take a look at the Volvo S60 Diesel - a much more modern car with good equipment and the solid feeling of the Saab.
Re: Saab 9-3 diesel v Mondeo - MPA
S60 - tried to get to drive one but dealer doesn't do test drives on a Saturday (!!!!!! can't be true can it?). Cabin is nice but very hemmed in by over large central console. Looks pretty in some colours and donwright horrible in others. I was a Volvo man for years but terminal unreliability of 850 put me right off.