£8k to spend. What to buy? - PhilDS
I lose my company car in February and so will be back in the world of buying my own tax discs, tyres, fuel, etc.

My budget is £8k and ideally would like a car 3 years old with less than 40k miles on the clock. I also need a decent amount of space as I need to fit a pram and shopping in as well as accommodate the usual weekend trips to B&Q and Ikea.

Having trawled through Autotrader and HJ's CBCD I've come up with a short list and would appreciate your feedback:

Citroen C5 Estate 2.0i/2.2 HDi
Ford Mondeo 2.0i/2.0 TDCi Zetec-S/Ghia X
Honda Accord 2.0i SE Exec (old shape)
MG ZT+ 1.8t 160
Saab 9-5 2.0t
Vauxhall Omega 2.2i CD

I've briefly run the Mondeo and Rover 75 in the past and liked them. The Mondeo is a strong contender but is there anything else worth considering?

Many thanks,

PhilDS
£8k to spend. What to buy? - Happy Blue!
I would avoid the Saab due to expensive servicing and repair bills.

Omega supposedly unreliable, but have no personal knowledge.

All of the others are perfectly good cars. Alternatives: --

Toyota Avensis
Nissan Primera
Volvo V70
VW Passat
Subaru Legacy

Probably find that the Honda is a bit small for your pram requirement.

How about a small MPV like Scenic, SpaceStar, Zafira?

My secretary bought a 18 month old Mitsu SpaceStar Diesel for less than £7,000 and with less that 15,000 miles. Lovely car, does 44mpg and with loads of room.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
£8k to spend. What to buy? - nutty_nissan
Can you be more specific? You've put cars with vastly differing characteristics in your shortlist.

What else are you looking from a car? Quietness? Fast? Great Handling? Fuel Economy?
£8k to spend. What to buy? - PhilDS
Can you be more specific? You've put cars with vastly differing
characteristics in your shortlist.
What else are you looking from a car? Quietness? Fast? Great
Handling? Fuel Economy?

I realise there's not a lot of consistency with my list - diesels, petrols, saloons, hatchbacks, etc.
The C5 appeals to my practical side but is quite bland. The Mondeo I know from experience is a strong car and good looking in Zetec-s or Ghia X trim. The Honda I percieve will last and is full of kit for the money. The MG, Saab and Omega I realise are more "handsome" than practical.
The Primera is a possibility. Avensis a bit bland but will last. Passat is another good contender. Legacy and V70 I've never actually considered but will look into.

In terms of characteristics: at least 30mpg, 0-60 in around 10 secs, reasonable service costs (no shocks or surprises!),etc.

I suppose it all points to the Ford!
£8k to spend. What to buy? - Xileno {P}
A million and one people on here will say Mondeo, it's now become a bit of a standing joke.
I don't think you would go far wrong with any of them. I would be tempted by either the MG but only with the 2.5 V6 motor, or the Citroen.
£8k to spend. What to buy? - SlightlyFatRep
How about a Nissan Primera?. Not 3 years old but brand new. www.look4mycar.com has Primera 'Flare' special editions for just a fraction over £8k new and if you look on the Nissan website you will see they are well specced.

I have no links with the site other than the fact I have ordered the Almera version for my wife.

I was v. tempted by the Primera, but she wants a smaller car.

Happy hunting!
£8k to spend. What to buy? - machika
That offer is no longer available.
Still on the home page of the website as Offer of the Day?
£8k to spend. What to buy? - NowWheels
Still on the home page of the website as Offer of
the Day?

but when I click on the "mor info" link, it says "Sorry. That vehicle is no longer available at Best4Cars."
You are quite right. Apologies.
£8k to spend. What to buy? - lordy
old shape avensis. reliable. loads of toys (inc sat nav). vvti engine. bags of room. cheap as chips. that'll ding dang do for you.

let me be the last to let you down....
£8k to spend. What to buy? - ajs
Someone mentioned the Accord as being well specced and reliable for the money. I have a 2.0 SE Exec as mentioned and would agree. It is a comfortable cruiser that has all the toys I could possibly need (although I added the CD multiplayer) and for the year I have had it is very reliable.

The only downside is its a little dull to look at and drive and fuel economy isn't great (about 30mpg for me - although my driving isn't very economical).

Unfortunately, I can't compare it with the other cars on the list as I haven't tried them - my only criteria were reliable, well equipped and comfortable on the motorway.