What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
SatNav Gets cheaper - buzbee
Hi, Acer have brought out "the new Acer N35 as a complete navigation system on the palm of your hand . . . "based on a Pocket PC . . . Microsoft® Windows® Mobile? 2003 Pocket PC Premium Edition . . with integrated GPS. Simply turn the Acer n35 on, flip up the antenna, insert the 256 MB SD-Card that holds "map'n'app" and off you go".

It can be can bought on the web, complete with maps for UK and Ireland, for £235 (P&P?). This is a lot less than Tom Tom is/was.

Features

* Samsung Processor at 266MHz
* 64MB SDRAM
* 32 NAND Flash Memory
* SD (SDIO)/MMC Slot
* 3.5" transflective TFT
* 256MB SD Card (UK and Ireland maps)
* Destinator 3 Software
* Integrated GPS receiver
* Dimensions: 120 (L) x 72 (W) x max. 20 (H) mm
* Weight: 165 g
* Built-in microphone and speaker3.5 mm stereo earphone jack
* Rechargeable 1000 mAh Li-ion battery 8-hour battery life

Any opinions on this? Hope this is not old news. I have just seen a review dated May!

SatNav Gets cheaper - AngryJonny
Argos currently have the Navman ICN320 for under 200 quid.

I've just bought one of their Cable and Wireless units for 230 squids. I'll report back as to whether it's any good once it has arrived.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
SatNav Gets cheaper -- EOBII reader - buzbee
Another reason for my interest in something like an N35 hand-held is reading EOBDII car fault codes. You can get the bits to assemble a code reader for $100 but it only outputs a 9600 baud RS232 serial data stream. A display screen is needed to be able to see the data and, since I do not at present have a laptop, I was hoping to use an N35 (?).
SatNav Gets cheaper -- EOBII reader - AngryJonny
Ah, the old 9600 baud RS232 serial - my favourite kind of data stream.

Translation: I have no idea what you're on about. Sounds like you know what you need much better than I do. Personally I'd prefer to have a dedicated satnav unit and a separate laptop - but if you have neither at the moment it's an expensive approach.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.