What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New Car Recommendation - Meriva? - BobbyG
Friend currently has R Reg Scenic, looking to update car. Only her and her 2 year old son although sometimes carries her elderly parents. Majority of time car is used for her 2 mile round journey to work.

She wants to retain the high up seated position, wants to spend about £5k over her own car (guessing at about 2k trade in), so total spend £7k.

Isn't keen on another Scenic. Today she looked at a Zafira (7 seats I know!) and then a Meriva which she really liked.
She did originally want a C Max but can't get any in her price bracket.

Deal will need to be via a dealer, doesn't want the hassle and risk of selling or buying privately.

What other cars should she look at ? CbC breakdown for Meriva seems outdated, no real feedback yet on problems, ownership experience. Other sites have suggested front visibility is poor at corners.

Fusion? I have suggested Modus but she is not too keen on it for some reason.

Any advice gratefully accepted.
New Car Recommendation - Meriva? - blue_haddock
What about a Berlingo or Partner? - lots of space for kiddy related stuff and she should easily pick one up for that kind of money.
Kev, tried them, she thinks Berlingo, kangoo etc are "Postman Pat" vans and won't go near them. I am sure her son would like them though!
In that case the other things off the top of my head include Suzuki Wagon R, Vauxhall Agila, Yaris Verso or a Hyundai Amica.

And looking at that list the Berlingo looks quite attractive!
New Car Recommendation - Meriva? - mare
What other cars should she look at ?

I have (well had - the wife's pinched it!) a Citroen C3. Not an obvious option, but the seating position is quite high and they're cheap. She should have quite a choice for £7k.

Ours is an SX, it has CD player and climate, auto lights and wipers and so on. If that's too complicated, the Desire should do.

If you want any other feedback let me know.
New Car Recommendation - Meriva? - AlastairW
How about a Fiat Idea? Wouldnt normally suggest, but as they seem to be slow sellers suspect an almost new one would be in budget.
New Car Recommendation - Meriva? - cheddar
I hired a 1.8 petrol Meriva, good to drive, really quite quick with 125 bhp, very roomy light and airy.
New Car Recommendation - Meriva? - Bill Payer
Pushing the budget a little, but what about Honda Jazz? There's an entry level model now that's around £8K new, so a used one should be within range, if you can find one.
However on these larger glass area cars it would be better to get an older, higher spec version, with air conditioning. They ought to be available for £7K ish now, perhaps less.
New Car Recommendation - Meriva? - frazerjp
My Dad perchased his Meriva last year, hes very pleased with it apart from a few draw backs: he has to be careful when approaching junctions as the front beam pillar is obtrusive & there're a few rattles inside the cabin!

Apart from that its great!!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
New Car Recommendation - Meriva? - Avant
I wondered if she could get a Corolla Verso for this price, and looked at Autotrader out of curiosity: indeed she can: 2002 model with moderate mileage. Blue Haddock can help her here I'm sure.

Yaris Verso also, but the looks are - shall we say - an acquired taste.
New Car Recommendation - Meriva? - Happy Blue!
Renault Modus?

Better than the Meriva and Idea according to Car.

Fiat Panda?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Yes she could get an early Verso for the money but i wouldn't recommend it. The early one is based on the old Corolla and doesn't drive nicely at all, it is also only 5 seats.

She would have to look fairly hard to find one local to her and i can think of better things to buy instead.
Yeah any of the Versos I have seen seem out the price bracket. She seems set on a Meriva, although yet to drive one. Very wary of this blind spot at the front corners that is constantly mentioned!
New Car Recommendation - Meriva? - cheddar
The Meriva really does drive well and Vauxhall petrol engines are very free revving, the 1.8 hire car I had was very nice to drive, with well space gear ratios it was fun to press on.
Would reckon a 1.6 would be enough for the journeys she does? I see that it is "Corsa based" but I assume it is like a lot of MPV type cars which make great use of the space inside them? Could a child seat and possibly 2 adults fit in the back?