What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What 4x4 for £7k? - tonyl
Hello. I'm in the market for a 4x4 and have around £7k to spend. It needs to be able to tow my 1500kg boat trailer, and a set of low ratio gears would be handy for pulling the trailer up slipways, across beaches etc. I also need plenty of space in the boot for my sailing gear, so the 4x4's I've thought of are Discovery, LWB Terrano, or the LWB Trooper. I've got access to a normal saloon car as well, so my annual mileage in the 4x4 won't be more than 15k a year.

To be honest I'm not too fussed about toys or image, more concerned with getting something with the best chance of reasonable reliability.

Ideas please!
What 4x4 for £7k? - Xileno {P}
The Japanese makes generally seem to come out tops for reliability. However, the Discovery can be reliable enough providing it receives good servicing.
What 4x4 for £7k? - tr7v8
Living near the coast apart from the Jap pickups the vast majority seem to use Ford Explorers or Chrysler Jeeps.

Jim
What 4x4 for £7k? - Altea Ego
7,500 - 8,000 gets you a 2000/2001 MITSUBISHI L200 2.5 TD 4Life.

Double cab so four seats, high ground clearance for water, 4x4, low range gears, truckman top or flat bed for all the gear..

Bullet proof reliable.

Jobs a goodyun.

What 4x4 for £7k? - $till $kint
RF beat me to it. L200 will tow 2700kg, have low range and diff lock for the sticky bits, give mid-high 20s mpg and will cruise at 80 all day long.

A carryboy canopy or similar is a must though, as they are very light at the back and will skip all over the show if there is no load in the back. The 80kg or so of canopy is enough to stop this, and it aids high speed stability as it's more aerodynamic than an empty pickup bed.

We've had ours down to the alps on three occassions with adult passengers in the rear and all involved were happy enough with the experience to want to do it again.