What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
superb driving - sp30
I found myself on a national express coach recently and feel i must congratulate the driver who avoided an accident with his forward thinking, a car on the roundabout we were joining(in a free flow lane) had not seen the coach and we sat in his blind sot as he began to drift into the free flow lane, the coach was faced with two options, 1, let the little honda civic drift into the coach and learn some physics, or 2, switch lanes quickly and smoothly, he chose the latter, with no horn blowing or anger, in fact he afforded a small smile ( self praise methinks)
anyway, just thought i would drop that in, antone got any other tales of good driving?
this forum talks a lot of bad drivers, lets here some hapy tales!"!!!!!!
(sp30)>>>force without the aid of judgement will collapse through its own mass.<<<
superb driving - sp30
And its got to be said, how many typos !!!!! sorry i blame my fingers!!
superb driving - Vin {P}
"antone got any other tales of good driving? "

I may not be Antone, but, as I have posted before, 99.9% of what I see on the road is good driving.

V
superb driving - Stuartli
Some blind spot if you can't spot a coach.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
superb driving - AngryJonny
Yeah, I've noticed that some cars have terrible blind spots - their drivers seem to be unable to see anything behind the A-pillars.

Wait... this thread is supposed to be about good driving.

Well, I always appreciate it when I'm about to be overtaken and my overtaker notices that I'm approaching the car in front and either moves out another lane to allow me to pull out, or slows and flashes me to pull out (which is how I interpret it when they've intentionally slowed). I try to do that for other drivers where possible and it's amazing how many give you a wave of thanks or a thumbs-up when you eventually pass them. It really restores my faith in humanity. Actually... just getting out of London does that.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
superb driving - PhilW
Rather similar to e34's point, but when I leave work I have to join a (often not busy) dual carriageway but there is no slip road on, so I have to start from stationary. Cars have a view of me for hundreds of yards indicating to pull onto nearside lane. Many, presumably because they are observant and considerate pull into outside lane to let me out and I always give them a wave or a flash (of lights !) as they go past to say thanks. However, there are many who seem to drive in a trance and continue up the inside lane when outside lane is empty preventing me joining.
I often wonder if they are actually inconsiderate or are just lost in their own little world, staring fixedly ahead with no awareness of what is going on around them - like so many of the middle lane hoggers on the motorway.
Phil
superb driving - Sofa Spud
I think most drivers are good (or at least OK) for most of the time. When you think about it, it's surprising how few accidents there are. That doesn't detract from the pain and heartache caused by serious accidents and the stress caused by lesser ones.

Cheers, SS
superb driving - Hugo {P}
When I think of the near misses I have contributed to once in a while and the other driver's reactions taken to avoid them I am quite thankful.

And yes if it was my fault I'd rather a load of abuse out of the window than an insurance claim.
superb driving - tyro
Most driving is good. But not much driving is really good. It is only when unusual circumstances occur that you can spot really good driving.

I drive mostly on single track roads with passing places in the Highlands, which does tend to sort the good from the poor - and I do see a fair amount of poor driving. Most driving is pretty average, but occasionally one sees driving that is unusually observant / thoughtful. (Alas, I must confess that my own driving doesn't always come into the latter category.)
superb driving - BobbyG
I think we are all missing the point here - re SP30s original post, why is one of the Backroomers admitting to using a bus??
Surely that calls for an investigation? :)
superb driving - sp30
I think we are all missing the point here - re
SP30s original post, why is one of the Backroomers admitting to
using a bus??
Surely that calls for an investigation? :)

well, you could start your investigation by researching the nickname "sp30" this would go some way to explain my enforced use of public transport!!
(sp30)>>>force without the aid of judgement will collapse through its own mass.<<<
superb driving - Altea Ego
So thats 4 x SP30?

superb driving - sp30
So thats 4 x SP30?
sadly yeah, not all the same time, and three where minor gatso tax offences (none higher than 20 mph over) and one was a real speeding ticket off a real policeman. sorry all you road users, i am no rev head!!!! just used the roads a lot and let myself down by speeding. 6 mnths to go!!!!!

still welcome am i ?
superb driving - Happy Blue!
That's OK then, but don't let us catch you using the bus volutarily ;-)
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
superb driving - P3t3r
It's never a good idea to drive in peoples blind spots. If you are, then you should be aware that the other driver may not be able to see you. The coach driver would have probably been a good driver if he had never got himself into this situation in the first place. It must've been a big blind spot too.

I'm not sure what is so good about changing lanes quickly either. I think most of us can do that, you simply turn the wheel slightly. Maybe it would have been better for him to make a planned lane change before the problem in anticipation?

Good driving is VERY rare. Most people seem to think that they are good when they avoid an accident in a dangerous situation. However, a good drive would avoid the dangerous situation in most cases. I think it's things like this that we should all learn from.
(not) superb driving ? - Pezzer
I had an odd situation the other evening, I was driving along a residential road following a 206, with a line of cars parked on the other side of the road. Suddenly without indicating he slowed and the stopped - so I thought ! Not thinking too much of it I simply ambled past him as nothing was coming the other way.

However as I did this I suddenly hear a tooting of horns and see headlights right up my tailpipe. About a hundred or more yards ahead one car was parked on our side of the road effectively restricting the road to only one car's width. It was at this point I realised he had stopped to allow another car coming the other way through the 'gap'.

It was one of those things which in retrospect was my fault but he stopped so unexpectedly and a long way from the parked car that I simply thought he had just found a house he was looking for.

Anyway he caught up with me at the roundabout at the end of the road and started waving fists, but by this point I found the whole thing rather amusing and couldnt help laughing at my mistake. This seemed to disconcert him a bit and he drove off.

(On the off chance he's reading this - sorry old bean !)

P