What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda's reputation at stake? - mike hannon
In order to further my long-term policy of buying middle-aged Hondas, rather than younger ones, to save money that I can then hand over to the bank, the oil companies and the government as demanded, I am close to coughing up for a 1998 Prelude 2.2 vti automatic with sequential gear shift option. Rumour has it that this gearbox is a bit iffy, which surprises me because my other Honda autos have been excellent and fault-free. HJ mentions this in the car by car breakdown - anyone know how prevalent this problem is?
Honda's reputation at stake? - T Lucas
I have had plenty of Japanese Preludes with that 'box and have not known any develop problems,and believe me anyone that had bought one and had a problem would have soon told me.
Ask an independant auto box repairer if they have ever repaired any.
Honda's reputation at stake? - v8man
I have a friend who owned one of these cars and the gearbox packed up and was off the road for a couple of weeks while Honda sorted it out.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Honda's reputation at stake? - Aprilia
Apparently the 'boxes have a bit of a reputation for failing on the more powerful engines. Brown (burnt) fluid and harsh shifting is the first sign of trouble. I must say I'm not a great fan of these particular 'boxes because the ratios seem a bid oddly chosen to me.