98 S 406 1.9 TD LX-S Est 105k, value? - local yokel
Friend of a friend has a one owner 98S 406 1.9 TD LX-S Est with 105,000, FPSH to sell.

I might buy it - he's got an idea it's worth £2750 - but I'm not going to offer thet, thinking £2,300 is nearer the mark.

Any thoughts?
98 S 406 1.9 TD LX-S Est 105k, value? - blue_haddock
My first thought without consulting any guides was about £2k
98 S 406 1.9 TD LX-S Est 105k, value? - DavidHM
Mine too BH but the Trader seems to suggest that £2,300 is bearable. It is a diesel and an estate after all.

The only thing I don't like about my saloon (118k, 2 years older) is that it's slow. Other than that, and the lack of air con and ABS - which the LXS fixes - I really have no complaints whatsoever.
In looking for comparisons one of the cheapest I've found is a 98S LX AC est with 130K 1 company owner for £2250 at a non-franchise trader.
98 S 406 1.9 TD LX-S Est 105k, value? - Hugo {P}
But bear in mind, you'll get the minimum warranty with the trader. With the private buyer you'll get nothing.
>But bear in mind, you'll get the minimum warranty with the trader. >With the private buyer you'll get nothing.

Indeed, so that has to make for about a 15% price differential, I'm thinking.

The guy's off to the US to live, so I'll try him out at £2150 and haggle from there.
98 S 406 1.9 TD LX-S Est 105k, value? - MichaelR
I wouldn't pay any more than £2000 for any 100k mile 7+ year old 406, Mondeo, Vectra or similar.
Especially given that its a base model LX. If it was an Executive I might just convince myself to stretch a bit further, but it isn't, so I wouldn't.
I'll start lower then - just hope he's not too offended. The LX-S has AC, and at that age, I'm not convinced that the higher specs are worth paying for/worrying about.
98 S 406 1.9 TD LX-S Est 105k, value? - Hugo {P}
My gut reaction would be to go with blue_haddocks suggestion of £2k.

One thing I agreed with a friend who was emmigrating, was to "underwite" a van he was trying to sell. I said I would give him a price to sell quickly if he found he was stuck with it, I already had a van so I was not desparate to replace it at the time, but would have done at "the right price". My offer was probably a few hundred less than it was really worth and someone actually paid more for it.

Result - he was happy he got more for it and it went for more than it was worth to me at the time, so I didn't mind.

That approach may help to safeguard you from seeing it sold to a dealer for £1500 in the event he's stuck with it.

Hugo
I'll start lower then - just hope he's not too offended.
The LX-S has AC, and at that age, I'm not
convinced that the higher specs are worth paying for/worrying about.

On the contrary I'd say the opposite, the older a car gets the more worth it it can be. New, the premium of an Executive over an LX was thousands of pounds. At 7 years old, it's barely a hundred quid, if anything. I paid about the same as an LX for my Ghia X Mondeo despite a gulf of some £6000 on list price when new.