What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Germanic styling - cheddar
A recent thread about the new 3 series discussed the latest BMW styling, I posted to say how the 5 Series, Z4 etc has grown on me. I had been thinking that the previous 5 would be a bit of a modern classic due to the controversy over the new one however today I saw a couple of new 5's and an 02 plate 530d in short order which made the older car look very dated.

On the otherhand I do not like the new Audi corporate grill, an A4 of, for instance, '02 vintage looks much fresher also the new A6 is very bland, but for that grill, compared with the '98 on model. The best execution of the Audi type grill is the similar one on the new Golf GTi.

To round of the German marques, the CLS is intersting (saw - rather heard - a CLS 55 AMG the other day!) and the new S looks great in pics.

Any thoughts?
Germanic styling - mlj
It is the rear ends of BMWs that get me. Why do they all look like a 1990s Mazda 626?
From many angles I can appreciate their design but the rear ends just look awful. 3 series, 5 series, old and new. The estates are the worst. It does actually put me off buying one.
Germanic styling - Imagos
Followed a latest model 3 series saloon today and the rear end is simply awful for a prestige brand. With the greatest respect to Kia, Proton, Daewoo et al it looks from the rear like one of these from the 80's.

truly truly dated and awful.

At least the rump of an Audi looks.. well it looks modern, stylish and good looking for a relatively simple unfussed design.

Germanic styling - cheddar
Followed a latest model 3 series saloon today and the rear
end is simply awful for a prestige brand. >>

I thought the same about the 5 six months ago, I quite like it now.
Germanic styling - Imagos
Yes the rear end of a 5 is very interesting. Believe it or not i compare this to my own car, a 98 Mondeo saloon.

For both cars i'd say this.. Look at them from directly behind and they are clumsy and well.. ugly.

Look at the rear from three quarters if you know what i mean and they both turn into very good looking rear ends! This i think is because the sides come into perspective and the lenses on both blend in to them superbly.
Germanic styling - tack
Next to the Honda Accord Estate car, the rear end of a Beemer 3 or 5 series looks positively ravishing. I sat behind an Accord estate yesterday and was gob smacked at how ugly it was.
Germanic styling - Citroënian {P}
Was raving about the CLS on the forum a while back, but I'd seen the AMG version. A muddy grey/beige one went past me the other day and I didn't like it at all. Suspect the body kit/colour make a big difference.

Audi have lost the corporate image plot, producing what look like Korean imports now.

Still really like the Z4, mean and sporty looking, not a bad combination for a 2 seater!

-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
Germanic styling - Dude - {P}
Whilst I question some of the recent designs, like the latest Audi grills and all "Bangled" BMW`s, I think the direction of Germanic build quality is of far greater concern.

Recent threads have highlighted perforated rust on Mercedes W 210 models after only 5 years, which is appalling news from the same company that built the nigh bomb proof W 124 and will have a lasting impact on their reputation.

The other instance was front suspension ball joints on a VW Polo failing after only 12k miles.

This lack of quality control in the search for maximum profit must have Japanese & the other Far Eastern manufacturers rubbing their hands with glee. !!!
Germanic styling - Shaz {p}
I think that since Lexus came on the scene, this greatly worried the Merc, BMW and Audi. - Here was a car - great engineering - fully loaded - at a good price.

This was at a time when Merc used to charge extra for alloys, metallic paint, a stereo on a s class!

The other manufacturers started to cost cut, which started to show in the cars.

Although I'am not a big fan of Lexus - I think they have greatly contributed to the car industry. Great Build quality (good engineering, if a bit souless)- at a good price.
Germanic styling - Sofa Spud
Germanic styling - including subsidiaries:

VW - generally good, except New Beetle.
Audi - OK, apart from A2 and TT. The new big grille is a nice idea but needs downsizing a little!
Seat - was good but lost plot now.
Skoda - OK
Bentley - Continental v. good, others are dinosaurs
Bugatti Veyron - beautiful but ridiculous.
Lambourghini - just ridiculous.

BMW - poor.
New Mini - nice detailing but too pastiche.
Rolls-Royce Phantom - OK for a monster

Mercedes - too wedgy-swoopy.
Smart - About the only way such a small car COULD look!
Maybach - better than Rolls-Royce Phantom

Porsche - Boxster OK, the rest less so, Cayenne bad, despite being partly based on VW Touareg, which looks good.

Opel, Ford - I cannot comment as these are not German-owned!

Cheers, Sofa Spud